Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

View Poll Results: Railway Station
Citi Station 7 43.75%
Johnson Station 9 56.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 10:23 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

SSP Competition: Railway Station Voting

Okay, so we had a very low amount of entries this time. I'll go ahead and post them anyways.

So before you guys vote I'd like to say that I'm gonna stop managing the competitions. I've been busy, I forget, and people seem to be getting mad. So anyways, someone else should manage the new comps. If anyone is interested please send me a PM and we'll discuss.

Anyways! The very small amount of entries!

1. Citi Station

2. Johnson Station

Also, I'll only keep the poll open for 3 days since there are only 2 entries.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 11:20 PM
World Machine

Sorry to see that the competitions are lagging in interest, but that comes with the time of year that it is. Anyways, I’ll provide my thoughts about each one.

CitiStation

It honestly seemed to be trying too hard. I can appreciate the effort to be original, but if it wasn’t for the fact that a sign was on it identifying it to be a station, you simply wouldn’t know it. Just didn’t call out to me.

Johnson Station

Simple yet good. Some more detail / originality could’ve been thrown in but it was clean and easy. Therefore it got my vote.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 2:51 AM

hmm... this is hard coz there are only two entries, but i'm voting the one i believe really deserves, and as stated by the comp requiremnt, one that seeks to innovate railway station design.

CitiStation:
I voted this one for despite not looking like a station, it is a clear bashing of the stereotypical image of railway stations being busy, stressful and a fast paced place and this time, this station, in its appearance seeks to undermine that image. I like the concept of bringing calm to the environment and the people, and I find the station very economically viable. It's not that large for it appears the bulk seem to be underground, but its integration with the grassy field shows how the station probably tries to preserve the environment. It might still need more details but its actually simple in execution, with only an arcing roof as its major design point. I voted for this.

Johnston: I like the sleek, clean and modern facade but in terms of practicality, this one seems a bit too large for a railway station. When i first saw this I thought it looked like an airport, and the only indication of it being a railway station was the shot showing the tracks. Also, it seems an awfully large space to take for just trains. And sleek and clean the design may be, it seems a bit too 'been there done that.' Otherwise though, I think it make a great station if the following concerns were addressed.

Just my opinion...

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 5:19 AM
<:

citistation: no doubt this is awesome, i can see the the effort of detailing it but yeah it doesnt look like a station. indeed this is a great work

johnson station: nice effort and a very simple design but i can see the components of a train station here.

i voted citistation cos of the design and the great effort put in it
congrats

-LGarcia

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 5:30 AM

Citistation didn't really look like a station to be honest. I would have liked to see more focus on were the actual trains would pull in.

Johnson station looks like a real station, but I feel like it lacks detail.

Both are good entries, but I have to give the vote to Johnson station due to the focus on realism.

When it comes to this competition, I can explain why we had so few entries. This thing was launched a week or so before many colleges started up again. I was going to enter and scoped out a plot, but had to focus on school instead of this instead. Poor timing was honestly to blame. Plus this was a somewhat different comp because it didn't just focus on buildings.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 2:07 PM
Asswipe

both are awesome in their own ways, cant decide

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 5:45 PM
BANNED

I share DAC oppinion, shortly here my impressions:

A train station should be huge, wide, and receive the trains tracks for space to communters any direction, without conflicts. So the first is more for a good museum, i really do not see where trains movement goes, even when i do not like much this interaction of green grass on top of buildings, infiltration problems, humidity, spiders and so ever.. The second seems an attractive simple shaped glassy modern design, easy to implement, and feeling good inside and outside. Remember that any train station should have many taxi, Bus lines, and even subway and tram connections, parking garage. So this must be showed as well, which i see in the 2nd presentation, my vote.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

About competition @Aleks, i've already sent yesterday a PM about your allowance and gentle oppinion in the way i do a competition for publically all talent guys all over the world who wants to participate. I understood i need to contact you first, before commenting that, but as you said about this thema, i wrote here. I hope compreheension. I've enough time to manage and answer properly the guys. Seems interesting, i would manage it, coordinate the doubts daily in a thread until all entries got for an end time of 3 months, time enough to respect the real people activities in real lifes, but stimulate the talent of everyone that they show further in their portfolio. Also i hope would be some new, totally different and maybe excited for getting attraction in participation. So please answer me. Thanks anyway. Of course i will not participate myself with an entry cause i do not have easy access and abbility at home to do a professional presentation rendered., but i can do only one at a time. A 2nd thread would be open since January 2010 for showing the results, 2 per member maximum with a maximum of 5 images showing the footprint plan as well. In first thread images should not be allowed, only doubts and the competion contest general requirements or directions. This is to avoid copies and in order to have more famous architects all over the world. I unfortunatly can not award properly people, but a poll would be enough for a general feeling. Hope everybody understand.....

Last edited by M.K.; Sep 17, 2009 at 6:18 PM.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 8:22 PM

m.k are you starting comps next??

ya citi station feels like its in the country,had it been a full
structure it would be fairly cool .....but it just didnt feel
station like...

johnson station feels like a coperate building or something
like a premises for computor maker etc,with it frontal offices
and rear factory//but it looks station like plus my vote

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 8:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota74 View Post
m.k are you starting comps next??
Not really T74, it was just a suggestion i made to him, for a meantime one, but i need his approvement first. If he likes then i launch it once, and we see the development of that, otherwise i skip that. But i am sure the u would like T74, cause goes in your direction of style.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 9:19 PM

lets see what alex has to say and then lets
hear your idea or plan...

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 10:14 PM
Closed account

voted for #2 because it looks more like a train station.

#1 doesn't look like a train station at all.I think they over did it.Nice design though.

Over all I liked number 1 but both were fairly goog.

Aleks srry to hear that.,

Old Posted Sep 19, 2009, 10:52 PM
World Machine

Well congratulations to ‘Johnson Station’ for winning this one.

Hopefully someone can pick up the rains of the sketch up competitions and keep them going. They seem to be the only thing that keeps this part of the forum going nowadays.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2009, 11:51 AM
BANNED

^^ yeah DAC, i tried suggest to make one, but no response if i can or not. So, who knows. 4 days since my PM asking... The wonderful design in comps are really the most interesting now, since the diagrams are already down for 1 month. Not too much time really, but it would be entairtaining some people, the lovers of designing buildings.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2009, 11:27 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Sorry MK. I forgot! Again. This is why I don't wanna do comps anymore and if anyone else wants to take the torch they should PM me.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2009, 3:52 PM
BANNED

^^ What that means? am i allowed or not to do my contest once? I remained still so

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 2:30 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

There are competitions? Where have I been the last two years? Ugh...

Anyways, I like the Johnson Station one way better than the Citi idea. (Note that I can actually vote, though, ugh.)

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 2:38 AM
Future architect!

Soo.. what does the winner of this competition do?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 3:23 AM

Is there any sort of plan? When is the next competition?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 8:04 PM
Closed account

Aleks hasn't said yet.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 9:02 PM
World Machine

I believe the plan is that the position for running the competitions is for the taking, and you’re to PM Alek if interested. So with that said are there any takers?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup