HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 23, 2009, 9:42 PM
Hello World

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Things seems to be cooling off in Vancouver. So, who won? The Red Scorpions or the United Nations?
Don't jinx it !

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 2:11 AM

Halifax is at about 6 or 7 murders with three occuring this month alone. This is due to an ongoing drug feud between the Melvins and another family. At least three people have died due to this feud since November and one family member has survived being shot at two times and not being hit another time! Just read this article and you'll understand how absurd this is;

Shooters target Melvin home
Shots fired at Fall River house of family patriarch
By MICHAEL LIGHTSTONE and BILL SPURR Staff Reporters
Sun. May 24 - 1:15 PM
Metro’s month of violent crime is continuing.

A daytime shooting Saturday that targeted the home of Jimmy Melvin Sr. has police probing the possible connection to a feud between the Melvins and another notorious crime family in the Halifax area.

Shots were fired at about 1:50 p.m. at a house on 187 Philip Dr. in Fall River. An RCMP spokesman said one bullet struck the residence.

Several people were in the house at the time, police said, but no one was injured.

Investigators retrieved bullet fragments from inside the house and will do ballistics testing to determine what type of gun was used, said Cpl. Joe Taplin.

A black car, believed to be an Acura, was seen leaving the scene with one or two occupants.

Police are interviewing the people who were in the home at the time of the shooting, as well as neighbours.

"Anytime there’s a shooting, it’s really concerning to us," Cpl. Taplin told The Chronicle Herald. "And especially in residential areas — you know, innocent people are going to get hurt here and that’s very (worrisome) to us."

Saturday’s violence in a residential neighbourhood outside the city came less than 24 hours after another shooting in Halifax. A man was shot several times Friday night on Creighton Street but survived.

Cpl. Taplin said police are checking to see whether the shootings are connected.

This month has seen a spate of violent crime in Halifax Regional Municipality, including three murders.

CTV News reported that Jimmy Melvin Jr. was in the Philip Drive home at the time of the shooting Saturday but the RCMP couldn’t confirm it.

According to property records, the targeted house is owned by James and Deborah Melvin. It’s a single-family home assessed at $368,700.

The patriarch of the Melvin family, Jimmy Sr., is a convicted drug dealer in his late 40s. He has been sentenced to a total of 22 years and three months of federal prison time.

The Schwartzwald Heights subdivision has attractive-looking homes on large lots. Philip Drive is a long, straight, quiet street with stately houses that have basketball hoops or hockey nets in the driveways and well-tended gardens.

The driveway at 187 was filled with five vehicles Saturday at suppertime, including a BMW sedan, two SUVs, a pickup and a minivan, but there was no police tape, evidence markers or any other sign the house had been the target of gunshots.

The two-storey home has three trellises, a trampoline and concrete birdbath in one side yard, a clothesline out back and fencing on the other side of the house that appeared to screen an above-ground swimming pool.

A neighbour raking her front yard said she didn’t know who lived at 187. She said she had been out shopping for the afternoon so she hadn’t seen any police activity.

Asked about a potential link between the feuding Melvin and Marriott crime families, Cpl. Taplin said "that would be a part of the investigation" of Saturday’s attack.

With respect to the Melvin-Marriott feud, the trouble resumed last fall.

When Jimmy Melvin Jr., 27, got out of jail in November, he was ordered by the court to live at his parents’ house in Fall River. The young man later moved to Waverley and now lives in an apartment on Herring Cove Road in Spryfield. He faces various charges and must tell the court where he lives.

The younger Melvin has survived two shootings since his release.

Last Dec. 4, Jimmy Jr. was shot twice in the upper body outside an apartment building near Spryfield. Three men have been charged with attempted murder in that attack, which put him in hospital for days.

On April 24, he showed up at the Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre in Halifax suffering from a gunshot wound.

He refuses to tell police where or how the shooting happened.

Last November, shots were fired at Jimmy Sr. outside a pizza shop on Herring Cove Road in Spryfield but he wasn’t hit.

A few days later, Melvin associate Jason Hallett was shot in the wrist in front of the IWK Health Centre in south-end Halifax.

The tit-for-tat violence prompted police to throw what they said were unprecedented resources at the problem.

The Marriott family name is listed three times on the Halifax Regional Police roster of unsolved murders, including Terry Marriott Jr., 34, who was shot and killed at a house in Harrietsfield in February.

Coun. Barry Dalrymple (Waverley-Fall River-Beaver Bank) said he’ll be seeking more information from the police as the investigation continues into Saturday’s shooting.

"I had a brief 30-second call (with the RCMP) – I don’t know any of the details," Mr. Dalrymple said in an interview.

"This is a residential neighbourhood," he said.

"So, I’m sure as people find out about this, they’re going to be shocked that it occurred here, as I’m sure they are in all neighbourhoods."

Police are asking for the public’s help in finding those responsible for Saturday’s shooting. Anyone with information is asked to contact any RCMP detachment, Halifax police or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-8477, or Secure Web Tips at www.crimestoppers.ns.ca.

( mlightstone@herald.ca)

( bspurr@herald.ca)

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 3:22 AM

Calgary is at 14 currently I believe, latest was the DJ at the after party for a dominoes tournament, the person of interest is another DJ.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 3:27 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Ross Avenue stabbing is city's homicide #9
CJOB's John Copsey reporting
5/24/2009

A man stabbed in broad daylight in front of a Ross Avenue apartment block yesterday afternoon is the city's 9th homicide victim of 2009.

A police spokesman tells CJOB the unidentified man likely succumbed to his injuries sometime yesterday.

Police had cordoned off an area near a Ross Avenue apartment block, after the man was allegedly attacked by two males around 1 pm.

Witnesses say they saw the victim - described as a younger man in his 20's or 30's - lying on his back in the rear lane of a building at 477 Ross Avenue.

The man has been identified, but his name is being witheld pending notification of next of kin.

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Calgary is at 14 currently I believe, latest was the DJ at the after party for a dominoes tournament, the person of interest is another DJ.
Uh-oh I guess I better watch my back

But seriously that is sad to see even DJ's have fatal competition.

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 3:13 PM

<<A 23-year-old man attacked in broad daylight at a heavily travelled intersection early Saturday afternoon has died, Const. Jason Michalyshen said Sunday.Police have not released the name of the city's ninth slaying victim this year, pending notification of next of kin.

Police are saying little about how the man came to be lying on Ross Avenue just east of Isabel Street at 1 p.m. Saturday.

Michalyshen said the man died Saturday, though he was not aware when. Police were still saying at 10 p.m. Saturday that the man was in critical condition.

Michalyshen said that police were awaiting autopsy results before discussing how he died. Police are not saying whether they have a weapon, nor will they say how many suspects they're seeking.

"Our victim is of Winnipeg. This individual has very limited contact with police," said Michalyshen.

"There is information as to some kind of confrontation," he said. "It appears these individuals may reside in the neighbourhood."

Shocked residents who gathered at the scene Saturday said they did not recognize the victim.

They said police had been looking for a young man who reportedly had run north towards Alexander Avenue. They believed the man had been stabbed, though police will not confirm that.

It especially shocked residents that the slaying occurred on the street in the middle of the day.

Violence can happen anywhere at any time, and people should always be aware of what's going on around them, Michalyshen said.

"We have this thought process that things like this happen in back lanes in the middle of the night," he said.

"I've never heard of anything happening in the middle of the afternoon," said a shaken Jackie LaBelle, who gathered with friends outside their Ross Avenue building Saturday afternoon to watch police investigate. They'd earlier watched paramedics work on the man.

"It's sad, man, broad daylight, man, that shouldn't happen," said resident Kevin Raven, whose children were among several who watched the aftermath of the attack.>>

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...-45974912.html

It's scary to see more and more people being attacked in broad daylight. We've been lucky in the last few months and have had (relatively) few homicides here, but it seems as if someone is being taken to hospital in critical condition every other day from a shooting/beating/stabbing. Many of them have occured on busy streets in the middle of the day.

Here's two more stabbed last night...so far not a homicide, thankfully:

<<WINNIPEG - Police are investigating a double stabbing on Victor Street early this morning.

Police received call at about 5:30 a.m. of a stabbing in the 400 block of Victor Street.

Two people were taken to hospital in critical condition, and one person’s condition was later upgraded to stable, a spokesperson said.

The name, age, and sex of the two injured people were not disclosed. The police spokesperson said further details may be released at the regular police news conference later this morning.

Officers at the scene had Victor Street south of Ellice Avenue taped off for a distance of about 20 houses shortly before 7 a.m. Several of them could be seen going door to door canvassing neighbours for information.>>

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...-45977887.html

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 4:46 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Since you posted that, one of the two in that incident has died... a 16-year-old girl.

I agree with you that broad daylight attacks, at least seem, to be increasing.

The thought of two 14-year-old boys going around, carefree, stabbing innocent people on the sidewalk of a well trafficked street just after noon is disturbing.

Unfortunately, I'm predicting an ugly and horrific summer for Winnipeg this year.

2 fatal stabbings in Winnipeg in as many days

Last Updated: Monday, May 25, 2009 | 11:19 AM CT
CBC News

Winnipeg recorded its 10th homicide of the year on Monday morning, just two days after a man was killed in a knife attack in another part of the city.

A 16-year-old girl died Monday after being stabbed in the upper body around 5:30 a.m. inside a house on the 400 block of Victor Street in the West End, according to police.

A 37-year-old man, who also suffered a stab wound to the upper body, was initially taken to hospital in critical condition but has improved to stable condition, said police, adding that an 18-year-old man is in custody and facing charges.

Police have not released the names of either victim from those stabbings.

The man killed in Saturday's attack, however, has been identified as Joseph Victor Mcleod, 23. Two 14-year-old boys have been charged with second-degree murder in his death.

The incident happened around 1 p.m. near the intersection of Ross Avenue and Isabel Street in the Centennial neighbourhood, just north of the downtown core.

Despite the deaths, Winnipeg's homicide rate is down compared with last year at this time, when there had been 17.

Also on Saturday, a 31-year-old man was attacked by a group of people in the Point Douglas neighbourhood around 9 p.m. near Euclid Avenue and Austin Street, police said.

The victim is in the hospital in stable condition. He was stabbed in the upper body during the assault, said police, who believe the attackers were armed with bats and knives.

No arrests have been made in that case.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/st...-winnipeg.html

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownWpg View Post

Since you posted that, one of the two in that incident has died... a 16-year-old girl.

I agree with you that broad daylight attacks, at least seem, to be increasing.

The thought of two 14-year-old boys going around, carefree, stabbing innocent people on the sidewalk of a well trafficked street just after noon is disturbing.

Unfortunately, I'm predicting an ugly and horrific summer for Winnipeg this year.

2 fatal stabbings in Winnipeg in as many days

Last Updated: Monday, May 25, 2009 | 11:19 AM CT
CBC News

Winnipeg recorded its 10th homicide of the year on Monday morning, just two days after a man was killed in a knife attack in another part of the city.

A 16-year-old girl died Monday after being stabbed in the upper body around 5:30 a.m. inside a house on the 400 block of Victor Street in the West End, according to police.

A 37-year-old man, who also suffered a stab wound to the upper body, was initially taken to hospital in critical condition but has improved to stable condition, said police, adding that an 18-year-old man is in custody and facing charges.

Police have not released the names of either victim from those stabbings.

The man killed in Saturday's attack, however, has been identified as Joseph Victor Mcleod, 23. Two 14-year-old boys have been charged with second-degree murder in his death.

The incident happened around 1 p.m. near the intersection of Ross Avenue and Isabel Street in the Centennial neighbourhood, just north of the downtown core.

Despite the deaths, Winnipeg's homicide rate is down compared with last year at this time, when there had been 17.

Also on Saturday, a 31-year-old man was attacked by a group of people in the Point Douglas neighbourhood around 9 p.m. near Euclid Avenue and Austin Street, police said.

The victim is in the hospital in stable condition. He was stabbed in the upper body during the assault, said police, who believe the attackers were armed with bats and knives.

No arrests have been made in that case.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/st...-winnipeg.html

Very sad. So Winnipeg is now at 10 for 2009. I didn't realize we had had 17 by this time last year, but last summer (and fall) was very quiet. It does look like it may be a violent summer this year...

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 6:14 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

still lower then this time last year but still sad hear about it

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 3:37 AM

Wow, the West needs to clean up it's act, my home town included (Regina). People need to stop talking about these crimes and murders as if they are happening to someone else and that they don't affect the city and its reputation. It's gonna take Winnipeg and Regina an entire generation to outlive the stigma they've developed over the past few years. It decreases the number of educated/skilled workers moving to the city, the amount of outside investment in condos/infrastructure, and I won't even talk about what it does to the tourism sector. I think people are starting to see that crime hurts everyone and, to deal with the crime, you need to deal with impoverished and marginalized populations (I think you know where I'm going with this one).

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 3:52 PM

Montreal is at 8, the last one is a 67 years old asian woman attacked by 3 teenagers for theft in infamous Montreal-Nord.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 5:09 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilippeMtl View Post
Montreal is at 8, the last one is a 67 years old asian woman attacked by 3 teenagers for theft in infamous Montreal-Nord.
It's pretty sad when Halifax, a metro 1/10th the size of metro Montreal has just as many homicides so far this year .

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 6:48 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
Wow, the West needs to clean up it's act, my home town included (Regina). People need to stop talking about these crimes and murders as if they are happening to someone else and that they don't affect the city and its reputation. It's gonna take Winnipeg and Regina an entire generation to outlive the stigma they've developed over the past few years. It decreases the number of educated/skilled workers moving to the city, the amount of outside investment in condos/infrastructure, and I won't even talk about what it does to the tourism sector. I think people are starting to see that crime hurts everyone and, to deal with the crime, you need to deal with impoverished and marginalized populations (I think you know where I'm going with this one).
You make some good points. As well, hopefully negative attention that places like Regina & Winnipeg gets will inspire people to make it an issue of concern and press for the problems of poverty to be addressed. When we conveniently turn a blind-eye, the problems only perpetuate. If Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina and Edomonton's reputations have to be dragged through the mud on the national stage, so be it. If it helps make some more people realize the problems of poverty & crime, then that is worth it IMO.

I'm seriously considering getting a website built (with my own money) to warn potential tourists and business to avoid Winnipeg, due to the risk to their safety... with lots of updates, highlighting the danger zones, personal safety tips if they do come, etc.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 7:22 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:

The situation is totally overblown.

In most if not all the cases the victims knew their assailant.

I think there have been somewhere in the neighbourhood of a dozen homicides in Winnipeg this year.

Hell, more people probably die in Detroit during a long weekend.

Personally, i've lived here all my life and spend a good part of my day in the downtown / inner city and I've never head anything happen to me.

Quote:

I'm seriously considering getting a website built (with my own money) to warn potential tourists and business to avoid Winnipeg, due to the risk to their safety... with lots of updates, highlighting the danger zones, personal safety tips if they do come, etc.
You're being just a little bit dramatic, don't you think?

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 7:42 PM
The Loyal Opposition

With homicide, yes, in a good deal of cases the victims knew their attackers. Murder is important to know about, but the crime I want to warn people about is not only limited to murder. I'm talking about all types of violent crime, particularly the random acts against innocent people. There's too much of that happening.

Winnipeg is Statistics Canada's violent crime capital... there is much to warn people about!

Not to worry, however, I won't be too dramatic. There are many possibilities for satire and humour as well.

In my own way, if I do this, I'll be trying to make Winnipeg a better place... believe it or not!

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 7:53 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Winnipeg is Statistics Canada's violent crime capital... there is much to warn people about!

Not to worry, however, I won't be too dramatic. There are many possibilities for satire and humour as well.

The keyword here is C-A-N-A-D-A'S murder capital.

This is a country where in lieu of a gun political dissenters will toss banana cream pie at their political masters.

Winnipeg, Edmonton and Regina have crime rates that would probably be the envy of just about anywhere else in the U.S.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 8:03 PM

Two men found in Van believed to be foul play, MV at 35 now.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 8:20 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post

This is a country where in lieu of a gun political dissenters will toss banana cream pie at their political masters.

Quote:
Winnipeg, Edmonton and Regina have crime rates that would probably be the envy of just about anywhere else in the U.S.
We must always strive to improve our city, and my unit of comparative analysis is limited to Canada.

I think that Winnipeg is more dangerous, per capita, than most places in the US. But, ya gotta remember... the US is a big place, full of 20,000-40,000 pop. cities. We're probably more dangerous than the white picket fences "Anytown USA;" but certainly not as dangerous as places like East St. Louis, Detroit, parts of DC, parts of LA, etc.

This is probably a bad example, but I felt way safer in areas of NYC considered dangerous, than I do in Winnipeg. Okay, it is a bad example, half of the people on the streets were undercover Homeland Security. Maybe that's what Winnipeg needs - as a short-term fix - not just officers walking the beat, but undercover cops walking around too. Our criminals can spot a police uniform from blocks away, even though many are too drunk to see that far.... come to think of it, that is something for "Ripley's Believe It Or Not."

When the 2009 data is all out (in 2011, no doubt), I get the impression that Vancouver is going to, by far, take the lead in homicide. I'm watching it closely, cause I worry that Vancouver is going to make Canada an international embarrassment if those gangs are still shooting people so often - in broad daylight - during the Olympics.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 1:51 AM

Quote:

Well, if you guys are happy being Canada's murder capital then it's all yours. It is all relative, but I wouldn't use the USA as your measuring stick. They have some of the worst stats in the Western world when it comes to poverty, violence, and maternal/fetal survival rates (a good measurement of how a country treats its most vulnerable). It appears you, like most in Canada's most "dangerous" cities are turning a blind eye the the crime. The crime-drugs-poverty-violence cycle is a vicious one and, if you don't stop it, the crimes will eventually start to affect the average resident (robbery, B&E, and yes murder).

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 4:17 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
It appears you, like most in Canada's most "dangerous" cities are turning a blind eye the the crime. The crime-drugs-poverty-violence cycle is a vicious one and, if you don't stop it, the crimes will eventually start to affect the average resident (robbery, B&E, and yes murder).
How are WE going to stop it? The demographics in our society responsible for the overwhelming majority of these crimes (and the victims as well) are the responsibility of ALL Canadians.

The root causes of Winnipeg's crime problems (and other Western cities) starts in poor communities "up north" with social problems that are simply astounding. There is a whole NATIONAL system in this country that will need a massive overhaul before any real progress can be made regarding the poverty-violence cycle that you speak of, that plague cities like Winnipeg.

What are YOU doing to help progress in this issue?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada