Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 5:23 AM

Toronto 16
Winnipeg 15
Montreal Vancouver 14
Edmonton Calgary 13

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 5:28 AM

And we lost another centreman. This one will last over a month. Boeser and Petterson are back. Total injured players this year is now 9.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 2:37 PM
Near Generational

Flames are awesome. Wish the Flames could have put that sort of effort forward against the Pens last week.

The Elias' (Lindholm and Pettersson) are awesome.

What a great night of hockey.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineN View Post
Not a great period for the Leafs I figured with the way the Flames are playing they would be doing much better.
Flames have been very hot and cold, and as I thought, the ass whoopin Pittsburgh gave them lit a fire under their ass.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Flames are awesome. Wish the Flames could have put that sort of effort forward against the Pens last week.

The Elias' (Lindholm and Pettersson) are awesome.

What a great night of hockey.
Yep. 7 goals in 7 games. And these aren’t lucky bounces, he is a pure sniper. He has Sedin level vision and passing but no one on his line can finish, so all he can do is score goals at this point.

This kid is near generational or even generational. Best draft pick since McDavid. When Pettersson gets a good winger or Boeser gets back to normal, he will be a consistent 100 point player, and compete with McDavid for best in world title.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 5:02 PM

^ You can't be serious?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 5:07 PM

I love Pettersson and think hes a star but I'm going to wait for a larger sample size.

Leafs have actually been playing like hot garbage to start the season and are lucky to have 16 points. If we can't get some consistency in our breakout and improve on the terrible natural zone play, I see a repeat of last years series with Boston in our future.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 5:07 PM
Community Guy

Seems a little odd that I am going to my first regular season @EdmontonOilers game on October 30th, but i am feeling hopeful after what I have seen over the last couple of games.

@ianoyeg

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Yep. 7 goals in 7 games. And these aren’t lucky bounces, he is a pure sniper. He has Sedin level vision and passing but no one on his line can finish, so all he can do is score goals at this point.

This kid is near generational or even generational. Best draft pick since McDavid. When Pettersson gets a good winger or Boeser gets back to normal, he will be a consistent 100 point player, and compete with McDavid for best in world title.
You need longer than a handful of games to declare someone a generational talent. The kid is very promising for sure, but lets see how he settles in once the season grind is on. The fact that he's already had a concussion should be very concerning too.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 5:58 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Flames have been very hot and cold, and as I thought, the ass whoopin Pittsburgh gave them lit a fire under their ass.
It sure seems like the Flames have an ability to bounce back like they couldn't under Gulutzan.

Quote:
No. He won't. And he isn't.

Petterssen is good but he's not generational. If there was an award for most over-hyped in the NHL it would be him.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 6:13 PM

Judgements were made about Auston and Connor before they even played one NHL game. Pettersson was phenomenal as a 17 year old in Timra. A men’s league, then broke all sorts of records as an 18 year old in the SHL, including Kent Nilsson scoring record. In fact he surpassed players like the Sedins and Forsberg and so on, by a wide margin. Because he played in Europe he gets much less regard than McDavid or Mathews. Pettersson will challenge McDavid for scoring titles. Book it.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 6:16 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Judgements were made about Auston and Connor before they even played one NHL game. Pettersson was phenomenal as a 17 year old in Timra. A men’s league, then broke all sorts of records as an 18 year old in the SHL, including Kent Nilsson scoring record. In fact he surpassed players like the Sedins and Forsberg and so on, by a wide margin. Because he played in Europe he gets much less regard than McDavid or Mathews. Pettersson will challenge McDavid for scoring titles. Book it.
Matthews played in Switzerland in his draft year.

I'll look back to find this post in four or five years.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post

Petterssen is good but he's not generational. If there was an award for most over-hyped in the NHL it would be him.
What!? He’s got 7 goals and 10 points in 7 games. There was hardly any hype for him from the rest of the league. He’s living up to the hype.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 6:46 PM

Quote:
It sure seems like the Flames have an ability to bounce back like they couldn't under Gulutzan.
I wasn't sure what to make of Peters as coach, figured it was a lateral move at best. It appears you may be right though, Gulutzan had to lose his shit at the team for them to turn it around, Peters seems to have had an easier time withthat so far. The Flames definitely had a leadership problem last year, whether it was coaching or players, time will tell. I think a major difference with the team this year is Tkachuck taking on a leadership role, he has been one of our best players this year, and I have agreed with everything he says after a game, win or lose.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 7:11 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
I'm going reserve judgement on that until at least game 20.

If this team has taught the fanbase anything, they have one more good game left in them. And then it's time for them to lay three eggs.

For whatever reason, they can't seem to shake this hot and cold business.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 8:37 PM

Congrats to Price for passing Roy at 290 wins. Next up is the great Jacques Plante as the winningest goalie in franchise history at 315 wins.

BTW, what happened to our old pal nicko?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoshvilli View Post

BTW, what happened to our old pal nicko?
Found another bandwagon to jump on elsewhere?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Found another bandwagon to jump on elsewhere?
Probably. I miss his shenanigans.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 11:00 PM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
I wasn't sure what to make of Peters as coach, figured it was a lateral move at best. It appears you may be right though, Gulutzan had to lose his shit at the team for them to turn it around, Peters seems to have had an easier time withthat so far. The Flames definitely had a leadership problem last year, whether it was coaching or players, time will tell. I think a major difference with the team this year is Tkachuck taking on a leadership role, he has been one of our best players this year, and I have agreed with everything he says after a game, win or lose.
At least Peters is willing to mix it up if things aren't working. And he'll call a time out if necessary to get their heads in the game (as he did in Colorado to good effect). He's a much better coach so far than GG was. He's also serious about sitting guys if they're not playing well (look at how he benched Frolik earlier, and now he's benched Stone).

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Generational players come into the NHL immediately after a draft and dominate from the beginning - point per game players or greater. Pettersson was judged not to be ready in his draft + 1 year. He is off to a great start this year, but let's wait and see how he plays over the remainder of the season.

Matthews imo is probably more near-generational than generational.

Recent generational players:

Crosby (102 points in draft + 1 season), McDavid (48 points in 45 games in draft + 1 season), probably Ovi (52 goals, 106 points in draft +2 season - didn't play draft + 1 season due to strike) ...Malkin is probably near-generational. That's pretty well it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada