HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghYHZ View Post
I remember that! Thanks for jogging the memory!
Disquietingly, I am old enough to have a vague recollection of going to the old Shearwater airport to pick up my grandmother after a flight from Toronto. I could have been no more than 4 at the time but a trip to the airport was always an exciting event. And I can remember driving to the new airport after it opened, and receiving a little plastic Viscount TCA was handing out as a souvenir. (The trip from Dartmouth in 1960 required a commute on the old Waverley Road, which was an aeronautical exercise in itself.)

Last edited by ns_kid; Apr 25, 2019 at 9:06 PM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 9:03 PM

Thanks for sharing your info, Summerville. I too was not aware that the Connolly Street substation had been residentially repurposed. That’s fascinating.

The advertising spread also mentions a new maintenance terminal in the north end. That was on Young Street, where the Superstore plaza now stands. What the ad doesn’t say is that Nova Scotia Light didn’t build a new structure. Instead they purchased, dismantled, moved and reconstructed a decommissioned WWII hangar from CFAB Station Debert. I have some pics but am on the road at the moment so am without access but recall it was a massive wood frame structure.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues