HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 12, 2023, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3de14eec6a View Post
The section of Talbot east of Gateway is fairly quiet, so I think it's okay they haven't done anything there yet.

Aside from the shit surface. That definitely needs to be redone asap.

Getting the connection from Gateway/Talbot/Whatever to the not Disraeli Bridge is so needed.
There's just no where for a bike path to go unless all the tress comes out. Maybe for this piece of the biking network it just ends there. But there is no good connection through Elmwood/EK, such as to the Disraeli ped bridge. Mostly just use the side streets.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2023, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Guess I haven't gone that way all summer! haha
lucky you, it's 1 lane during construction period and what use to take 4 minutes to drive, now takes 10 minutes+ minutes and thats not in rush hour otherwise it 15++++

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 12:50 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
There's just no where for a bike path to go unless all the tress comes out. Maybe for this piece of the biking network it just ends there. But there is no good connection through Elmwood/EK, such as to the Disraeli ped bridge. Mostly just use the side streets.
How about this.

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 5:26 PM

Yes, thatd be awesome and I believe was originally part of the eastern corridor study. A twinned Stadacona extension to at least Gateway along that alignment behind the school.

The route along talbot though is not a clear. If any route is intended to be there is the question.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn99 View Post
Pembina Highway protected bike lanes – McGillivray Boulevard to Chevrier Boulevard northbound is finished.
Pembina bike lane has to be the worst executed bike infrastructure I’ve ever seen. Almost no one rides it because it’s a death trap.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2023, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Empress Street multi-use path connection to Assiniboine River multi-use path
I just did a recce to confirm, so if we're talking about this then yes, it has been built.

It's a very small thing, but it makes biking from downtown to Polo Park a reasonable proposition.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Pembina bike lane has to be the worst executed bike infrastructure I’ve ever seen. Almost no one rides it because it’s a death trap.
There are a frankly obscene number of sidewalk cuts on pembina to businesses. The sidewalks and bikelanes are like 40% crossing driveways. This latest reconstruction has been a huge missed opportunity to redirect the accesses to the side streets in order to reduce the amount of uncontrolled access right onto a major road

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audie View Post
There are a frankly obscene number of sidewalk cuts on pembina to businesses. The sidewalks and bikelanes are like 40% crossing driveways. This latest reconstruction has been a huge missed opportunity to redirect the accesses to the side streets in order to reduce the amount of uncontrolled access right onto a major road
I'm hoping that as Pembina Hwy gets infilled, old buildings with front access are demolished and new buildings with rear access are built. Will probably take a couple of decades though until most of the front access buildings are gone.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 8:21 PM

Quote:
It’s pretty bad but atleast it’s protected with a concrete curb instead of those plastic bollards and parking during non-rush hour. Feels much safer riding on it then the “bike lane” south of Chevrier.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2023, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Pembina Highway is downright scary, and not at all compatible with a bike lane. I have not biked down that road for 20 years, but when I did, I never felt safe. Once a car turned right in front of me, and nearly hit me.

A few years later, I was biking on Notre Dame Ave, when a driver in an SUV was not paying attention, and hit me, and continued to accelerate. Luckily a few nurses from the crosswalk screamed at him to stop, or I could have been killed. My bike was totalled, and he ended up getting pulled over by the Police.

Calgary is far safer for biking I ahve always found.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Goulet Street protected bike lane – Youville Street to Traverse Street This is now planned with the Goulet/Marion plans. Not sure when construction is proposed

It's actually fully under construction and has been since Spring.
they've removed a traffic lane (and diamond bus lane during rush hour) completely for this so Goulet will only be 2 lanes now.
I'm ok for bike lanes but in this case a major artery to lose 1 lane might have traffic implications (or maybe that what they want to encourage more biking)? The boulevard is very wide here, almost 6+ feet in some areas before sidewalk, i relaly think this could have been a mix walk / bike lane.
There were three phases of public engagement for this project including a proposal for a mixed use path (blegh) but the residents of the area decided they wanted a dedicated bike lane and a separate sidewalk with improved public realm which imo is the right choice. I’m tired of Goulet/Marion being a stroad when it should be a more walkable/bikeable street being so close to the city centre. Goulet/Marion do not need to be more then 4 lanes total (really every street in Winnipeg should be max 4 lanes including Portage and Main but that’s an entirely different discussion).

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 3:42 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
There were three phases of public engagement for this project including a proposal for a mixed use path (blegh) but the residents of the area decided they wanted a dedicated bike lane and a separate sidewalk with improved public realm which imo is the right choice. I’m tired of Goulet/Marion being a stroad when it should be a more walkable/bikeable street being so close to the city centre. Goulet/Marion do not need to be more then 4 lanes total (really every street in Winnipeg should be max 4 lanes including Portage and Main but that’s an entirely different discussion).
I am a big fan of making streets quieter, that said, we are about to have a major problem with traffic. People will not spontaneously start using public transit here as roads get slower. We do have to turn our minds towards making the overall road network more functional. Love making streets like Marion and St Mary's and Provencher all nicer and more pleasant, but we need to then also provide for more well thought out regional roads, like Lag, CPT, BG, route 90, etc. I would dare say that there is enough land out there that doesn't have to be completely bulldozed to allow for expressways almost right into downtown.

Of course I would also like to see transit improved. Anyways, when it comes to implementing better pedestrian areas and bike lanes, we also have to do it with the recognition that we need to deal with automobiles too.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I am a big fan of making streets quieter, that said, we are about to have a major problem with traffic. People will not spontaneously start using public transit here as roads get slower. We do have to turn our minds towards making the overall road network more functional. Love making streets like Marion and St Mary's and Provencher all nicer and more pleasant, but we need to then also provide for more well thought out regional roads, like Lag, CPT, BG, route 90, etc. I would dare say that there is enough land out there that doesn't have to be completely bulldozed to allow for expressways almost right into downtown.

Of course I would also like to see transit improved. Anyways, when it comes to implementing better pedestrian areas and bike lanes, we also have to do it with the recognition that we need to deal with automobiles too.
The majority of people won't switch to transit or cycling unless it benefits them to make the switch. So, if we keep expanding the road network and making driving faster and easier, people will continue to choose to drive. If we want a major shift in mode share, we need to improve alternatives to driving at a rate that exceeds the expansion of the personal vehicle road network.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 6:37 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
The majority of people won't switch to transit or cycling unless it benefits them to make the switch. So, if we keep expanding the road network and making driving faster and easier, people will continue to choose to drive. If we want a major shift in mode share, we need to improve alternatives to driving at a rate that exceeds the expansion of the personal vehicle road network.
Look at any city that you see as a model of urbanism, take Amsterdam for instance: urban freeways. Paris: urban freeways. Most of the bigger nordic cities: urban freeways. These are not mutually exclusive ideas. You need a healthy mix of all modes to have healthy traffic in a city.

AT and bike lanes, need
RT that isn't the asinine made-in-manitoba reinvent the wheel for no discernable reason, need
Proper urban expressway system that allows major heavy traffic to bypass the core but is still able to effectively manage traffic in and out, need

If you only want one mode of transportation to be viable in a city, then you will have major headaches, because the other modes won't disappear, but you'll have ignored a large part of the problem, the ostrich approach to infrastructure doesn't cut it.

All that to also say that if what you want is pleasant human scale planning, you are going to also have to have a way to manage transportation that is cognizant of the reality that many people still are going to want to or need to drive, and that transit and AT are inadequate to fully allow for effective transportation in a city.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 7:51 PM

https://legacy.winnipeg.ca/publicwor...f/strategy.pdf

Link to the 2014 cycling strategy. There are maps (starts around page 160 or so) with proposed routes important crossings. A lot of what we talk about here is in there.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 12:36 PM

Absolutely, you hit the nail on the head! It's all about finding that sweet balance in urban planning.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 12:37 PM

You're so right, reinventing the wheel can be quite frustrating, so let's focus on smart, efficient solutions. Having proper bike lanes and transit systems that actually work for people is a must. Plus, a well-thought-out urban expressway system can help keep the city moving while allowing those who need to drive to do so without causing chaos.

Speaking of bikes, don't forget the importance of ensuring the safety of cyclists. It might be worth looking into bicycle insurance UK to protect your two-wheeled friends on the road.

Last edited by Coilavana; Oct 26, 2023 at 2:52 PM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 5:35 PM

The City is doing public engagement on Downtown Bike Lanes.

https://engage.winnipeg.ca/downtown-bike-routes

Be sure to chime in!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2024, 2:15 AM

I got rid of my vehicle last year 40(m) and cycle, walk/run everywhere (Osborne Village). I've biked all winter.

It's been great. The money savings have been significant and my fitness has improved.

I hope the city continues to expand our cycling network.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan