HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFTGATL View Post
I noticed this morning there was a crew on Juniper at 6th street taking down street poles? I couldn't tell if this was part of the overall project or just a replacement.
Not really related and this might be old but I noticed that 8th and W. Peachtree now has a non-functional traffic light facing WB (the direction you can't go yet). I imagine it won't be long before this road is 2-way.

The road is very narrow and the hill causes a blind spot in the direction of travel. Not really sure this is an ideal road to convert to 2-way.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLSkyPalaceOwner View Post
Not really related and this might be old but I noticed that 8th and W. Peachtree now has a non-functional traffic light facing WB (the direction you can't go yet). I imagine it won't be long before this road is 2-way.

The road is very narrow and the hill causes a blind spot in the direction of travel. Not really sure this is an ideal road to convert to 2-way.
As a note, lights have been up at 8th & W. Peachtree since at least August.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 10:37 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 11:14 PM

Wow midtown north looks like it could be its own city.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 11:51 PM

Memorial drive greenway vision meetings coming back up:

http://parkpride.org/give-your-input...isioning-plan/

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLSkyPalaceOwner View Post

There's a utility pole that straddles the edge of the street parking area created by Alta Midtown and the "would-be" traffic lane heading west. I would imagine getting rid of some of the on-street parking closer to the Peachtree Street intersection will be required as well as removing that last utility pole before they can open it up.

I still see cars driving the wrong way on this stretch often.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 2:09 AM

1105 West Peachtree Project

Could this be the potential tenant they are talking about taking half of the office space?

https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/...lidation-70621

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Could this be the potential tenant they are talking about taking half of the office space?

https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/...lidation-70621
Nothing seems to imply they're looking at midtown for the consolidation in that article. Looks like Central Perimeter.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 2:27 PM

Star Metals update, aiming to break ground "later this spring":

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...t-midtown.html

-------------------------------------------------I'm fond of the statue of giant inflatable dog ^^

Last edited by Street Advocate; Feb 7, 2017 at 2:45 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 2:31 PM

New renderings for Star Metals on the west side:

Quote:
The Coral Gables, Fla. developer, one of the largest in the southeast, is planning a landmark project for the rapidly changing Howell Mill corridor: 409 apartment units, 185,000 square feet of office space, and 30,000 square feet of ground floor-retail that could include and organic grocery store.
Edit: whoops, someone beat me to it ^

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaMustang View Post
New renderings for Star Metals on the west side:
Here's hoping they get financed, as the office space and grocery would be huge for the neighborhood. I also enjoy the competitive dig at PCM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 2:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Here's hoping they get financed, as the office space and grocery would be huge for the neighborhood. I also enjoy the competitive dig at PCM.
This project just keeps getting better looking with every new rendering.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 2:59 PM

I took pictures with my cell phone and wanted to post. Would someone be kind to tell me how I get them upload to this page? I can't just upload them.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLontheRISE View Post
I took pictures with my cell phone and wanted to post. Would someone be kind to tell me how I get them upload to this page? I can't just upload them.
Upload them to an image-hosting site like imgur or tinypic and then copy and paste them here

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 3:14 PM

Quote:

-------------------------------------------------I'm fond of the statue of giant inflatable dog ^^
YAS. This looks so good omg

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 3:34 PM

Quote:

"...409 apartment units, 185,000 square feet of office space and 30,000 square feet of ground floor-retail that could include an organic grocery store."

Which equates to what? 600 + parking spaces? I'm sorry, as nice as this project looks, I just can't get on board with the haphazard to zero infrastructure planning that is occurring in conjunction with all of this development on the Westside. Howell Mill is 3 lanes and 11th is 2. There is not even a proper intersection. There have been no transportation or road improvements in this area in decades. Yet the city allows unfettered redevelopment of formerly industrial areas to residential and commercial uses (including massive amounts of parking) with no thought to outcomes except for $$$ signs added to the tax base. Gridlock must be the goal.

Maybe I'm wrong? Maybe there is some grand scheme out there about how the crazy density being allowed in West Midtown will be handled in the near future. Maybe there are plans beyond a few random bike lanes to funnel the traffic that thousands of parking spaces entails. I'd love to see them.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 3:36 PM

Quote:

The last thing we need is a Jeff Koons piece of crap balloon dog in our public spaces.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyJK View Post
"...409 apartment units, 185,000 square feet of office space and 30,000 square feet of ground floor-retail that could include an organic grocery store."

Which equates to what? 600 + parking spaces? I'm sorry, as nice as this project looks, I just can't get on board with the haphazard to zero infrastructure planning that is occurring in conjunction with all of this development on the Westside. Howell Mill is 3 lanes and 11th is 2. There is not even a proper intersection. There have been no transportation or road improvements in this area in decades. Yet the city allows unfettered redevelopment of formerly industrial areas to residential and commercial uses (including massive amounts of parking) with no thought to outcomes except for $$$ signs added to the tax base. Gridlock must be the goal.

Maybe I'm wrong? Maybe there is some grand scheme out there about how the crazy density being allowed in West Midtown will be handled in the near future. Maybe there are plans beyond a few random bike lanes to funnel the traffic that thousands of parking spaces entails. I'd love to see them.
My goodness a NIMBY on this site-- never thought I'd see the day...
Though I agree the road network in this part of town is pretty poor.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge View Post
My goodness a NIMBY on this site-- never thought I'd see the day...
Though I agree the road network in this part of town is pretty poor.
The newly-created Westside CID is working with the City to get Howell Mill's road improvements moving along- including sidewalks, crosswalks, synchronization of street lights, etc implemented by 2020.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctk2014 View Post
The last thing we need is a Jeff Koons piece of crap balloon dog in our public spaces.
Lmao, such disdain for his art! While I don't think it's great to have a replica of art, I do find a giant puppy statue fitting for Atlanta and generally welcome more public art.

As for the Howell Mill comment, there's BRT coming to Northside Drive (increased bus services already underway), Crosstown Midtown streetcar (Luckie St. & North Ave.) submitting to FTA in early 2017, and this density in West Midtown is exactly what Atlanta needs in order to properly expand transit services. You need a dense enough ridership base to create a level of impact. The area is a destination, not just a thoroughfare. These developments are supporting the neighborhood vision.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations