HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Closest thing I could find. My neighbourhood is within the second-poorest area by this measure.

That's only part of the picture though. At least in Toronto, you have big extremes in certain neighbourhoods, especially downtown, so the average income is kind of in the middle, but it's really a lot of poor people and a lot of wealthy and not much in between.

https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/nhs-enm/...-05-01-eng.pdf

Malton has a smaller low income % than Downtown, and possibly Rexdale and Malvern too. However, most of Malton's population that isn't low income is lower middle class, while Downtown has a large population that is well above the low income cut-off.

You could also look at income deciles. I started looked at income deciles for Toronto. It seems like those give a somewhat different result than looking at average individual income, which is what the maps of the OP show. I believe income deciles are based on the square root of household income, while average individual income is looking at the average income of everyone that's 16+. I think individual income penalizes large household too much.

If you look at income deciles, the geography of very low income neighbourhoods shifts closer to the core of Toronto. Census tracts in Flemingdon Park, Eglinton East, Peanut/Parkway Forest, Parkdale, Chinatown, St James Town, Regent Park, York and Amesbury shift from low to very low income. Meanwhile census tracts in Milliken, Malton, Malvern and Rexdale shift from very low income to low income. Many census tracts in the 905 shift from low to medium and medium to high.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 1:56 AM

The closest I could find for Windsor is a map that shows a poverty risk index. This map only shows the city limits (not the whole CMA). The Walkerville neighbourhood is clearly visible by the long narrow green strip in the north centre area.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 2:51 AM

Some of these areas can change quickly. The district I live in in Toronto showed as dark red on this map, but four years later I doubt it's the same. There's quite a few new luxury towers here, and more under construction. Wouldn't be surprised to see this area as white today.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
Some of these areas can change quickly. The district I live in in Toronto showed as dark red on this map, but four years later I doubt it's the same. There's quite a few new luxury towers here, and more under construction. Wouldn't be surprised to see this area as white today.
If you're referring to the red census tract along Bay Street, I think the data for it is problematic - there's a lot of people filing taxes for addresses in that census tract that don't live there or something. Could be due to the fact that City Hall is in that census tract.

If you're referring to the Regent Park census tract, then yeah, incomes should go up there.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Poor Richmond, I hope those guys get out of poverty soon.
Haha! Careful, someone will call you racist to even suggest that something fishy is going on in Richmond. Oh, and foreign money in Vancouver is 100% legit and is not helping to create any cost of housing problems and / or bubbles.

This message has been PC approved

The same way that there is nothing fishy about and no problems related to foreign money in Bermuda, Switzerland, etc...

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 8:01 PM
Change is good

the NE Calgary is akin to Millwoods in Edmonton... at least for me.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 9:15 PM

Found this map of Edmonton from 2006 so I'm sure things have changed a bit. Not the best, but still interesting. One surprising area is that Millwoods isn't as low income as you would think.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
If you mean specifically among townies I agree, but even saying that doesn't explain where people live in 2016. A skeet with a car is just as likely to flee to the burbs as some hipster is to live in rabbittown. Obviously in the past it was different and things might start making more sense again now.

EDIT: Personally I also think the merchant class(upper class townies) are some of the trashiest people I've ever met.

-----

No surprises on that St. John's map. Those inner-city neighbourhoods aren't as diverse as the rest of the city, where there's a mix of low and middle class. SHH may actually be the richest person in Rabbittown

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 10:39 PM

Class-divided cities (Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver):

http://martinprosperity.org/map_test...ate-js-master/

You can zoom in by census tract.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Low annual income but high personal net worth maybe?
Richmond is HAM central...........somebodies not declaring their income.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 2:53 AM

Is Richmond really that wealthy? I'm pretty sure the wealthy Chinese are on the West Side.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 2:20 AM

2016 income map by GTA census tracts

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...so-simple.html

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
2016 income map by GTA census tracts

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...so-simple.html
Interesting article, and it is something that is starting to appear in other major Canadian cities.

Since this is only part 1 of a series, I'm sure they'll talk about gentrified areas and about areas that were once middle class turning into lower income neighbourhoods, which is an interesting phenomenon.

Toronto is a really interesting case study, accentuated by the rapid cost of housing there and the skyrocketing population. So in that regard its unique, but something that needs to be looked at in order for other places to learn from and do something about so there isn't such a stark wealth divide between geographically related neighbourhoods.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2024, 10:07 PM

Going through CT income data for 2021, the old city of Toronto is pretty much fully gentrified at this point. There's really only a few clusters where average incomes are below the CMA average:

South Parkdale
Bloor-Dufferin area
Old Weston Road/Caledonia area
Chinatown/Kensington Market
St. James Town/Regent Park area

And three of these are in the "Dufferin wedge" that separates High Park and more central neighborhoods.

Much of this population I'm sure is young, often educated renters (i.e. what some may call the "hipster" demographic).

Last edited by Docere; Jan 4, 2024 at 10:46 PM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2024, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusmcduff View Post
Found this map of Edmonton from 2006 so I'm sure things have changed a bit. Not the best, but still interesting. One surprising area is that Millwoods isn't as low income as you would think.
I grew up in Mill Woods, it's a huge area made up of several communities which are then divided into smaller neighbourhoods (eg. Bisset is a neighbourhood in the community of Ridgewood which is part of Mill Woods). There are a few pockets of low-income neighbourhoods, but as a whole, I would not consider it as such.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2024, 11:52 PM

Old City of Toronto using the Hulchanski et al classifications of low (less than 80% of CMA average, middle (80-120%) and high income census tracts (120%+). I excluded CTs with populations of less than 1,000.

West (64 CTs)

High income 22
Middle income 35
Low income 7

Above average income 34

Central (47 CTs)

High income 23
Middle income 17
Low income 7

Above average income 28

East (32 CTs)

High income 18
Middle income 13
Low income 1

Above average income 29

North (31 CTs)

High income 27
Middle income 4

Above average 29

Old Posted Jan 5, 2024, 7:28 PM

Looking at this data, the east end comes off as quite affluent. More high than middle income tracts, and only one low income one (around Danforth and Victoria Park).

It's higher income than the west end which has more renters and a younger population. It also has a smaller population and affluent areas like the Beaches and North Riverdale-Playter Estates make up a lot of the population.

Still the income trend is upward in both. The east shifted from plurality-middle income CTs to plurality-high income CTs, while the west shifted from plurality-lower income to plurality-middle income.

In 2000:

West

High income 4
Middle income 19
Low income 30

East

High income 9
Middle income 14
Low income 7

Last edited by Docere; Jan 5, 2024 at 10:30 PM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 11:12 PM

City of Toronto and GTA 2021 census income maps can be found here (pages 19 and 20):

https://openpolicyontario.s3.amazona...6-20230213.pdf

https://images.app.goo.gl/ZNRheR9PJXL6jA4Y6

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 6:23 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
City of Toronto and GTA 2021 census income maps can be found here (pages 19 and 20):

https://openpolicyontario.s3.amazona...6-20230213.pdf

https://images.app.goo.gl/ZNRheR9PJXL6jA4Y6

That's a pretty dramatic change in the inner city for just 5 years:

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 8:03 AM

Not surprising to see Harbord Village, Little Italy and Roncesvalles enter the high income group.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada