HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 12:10 AM

Truckers Complain About Reckless Passing on QC Route 185

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...te-camionneurs

This article’s from a while back.

But you know, we just can’t wait for A85 to be completed.
In all seriousness though, nobody wanna get stuck behind a truck.

On veut voir l’A 85 finie maintenant, pas par 2025... On ne peut pas attendre.
Mais après tout, il faut noter que personne ne veut rouler derrière aucun camion.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 1:16 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
But what about 402 then?
Highway 402 doesn't need 6 lanes or a concrete median for several reasons.
-Better overall design
-Much wider median
-Median is deep / effective in most places in actually stopping crossovers
-Traffic / truck volumes are better managed
-Tons of snowfall in winter - snowsqualls can dump 1m+ of the white stuff. Grass median is a good place to put it

Because the 401 median is so narrow, it makes sense to fill it in with 6 lanes and a concrete barrier. Filling in the median of the 402 for a concrete barrier would take an insane amount of earth, would need drainage completely redesigned, and you'd have room for like 5 lanes each way

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
God, sometimes I think Winnipeg and the Manitoba government are the most penny-pinching, backward bunch of schmucks on earth. Saskatchewan can afford billions in highway infrastructure and Manitoba literally took over 20 years just to COMPLETE a single interchange at one of the busiest highway corners in the province.

One question, however: Where are the six interchanges in Saskatoon (area) ? I can only think of 3.
You know Saskatoon only half as well as you thought you did then
You're probably forgetting about the Two Interchanges nearing completion for 2019 in Saskatoon's northern suburb satellite communities of Martensville and Warman. These two communities are some of the fastest growing suburbs in the country and the Gov of Sask is finally building interchanges on each of their highways to ease the commuter congestion into Saskatoon.

https://panow.com/article/537535/pla...lle-overpasses

In addition, on Saskatoon's East side streets of Boychuk and Hwy 16
plus McOrmond Rd and Hwy 5 are each opening Interchanges next year.

https://www.saskatoon.ca/moving-arou...hange-projects

Two new Saskatoon bridges are on schedule for opening as well in 2019, The North Commuter Parkway Bridge plus the Traffic Bridge with associated south bank interchange on Victoria St.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Is that Saskatoon ring road far enough out in your opinion?

Given that there are less than 400,000 people in the metro that map suggests that it's not that far out and the city will be bisected by highway as soon as it's built.
I think Saskatoon's planned second/outer freeway loop is a compromise at being close enough to the city to be useful for highway traffic to still access the city & not have to do a huge out-of-the-way loop to bypass the city & keep construction cost down by keeping the circumference of the loop minimal...

..plus try to take the larger transport trucks off of Saskatoon's commuter expressways, keep noise and congestion away from neighbourhoods.
With >500,000 Saskatonians projected in a couple decades, the city will inevitably grow beyond the confines of the Perimeter Hwy, but at least those new neighbourhoods can be planned accordingly for that eventuality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Btw, that you say 'motorway' is a dead giveaway that you're from Britain.
Haha, well I grew up in Southern Saskatchewan but recently married a Brit who worked in the music & entertainment industry in Broadway show productions like Chicago etc. My mind is fairly mallible & I think with being immersed in UK culture and accents etc, it's inevitable I start using phrases & talk with a scouse accent. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
It seems odd that they would design this interchange such that it is not the two legs of the 16 (north and east) that get the full directional flyovers (or tunnels as is the case here). What they have designed splits the TCH into two parts (at least going south to east) rather than have it as one continuous road.

By far the busiest sections of the clover leaf interchange at Hwy 11 & 16 are the traffic following the Circle Drive's trajectory east/west and north/south on that side of the city.There're traffic backups all the way back to Preston Ave in Stonebridge when rush hour traffic tries to take exit northbound on Circle from eastbound on Hwy 16.

This is why the new interchange will have two lanes of traffic each direction rounding off of the inner city's Circle Drive to make a seamless city ring loop for drivers wanting to go from one quadrant of the city to another as the city's population doubles in the next 2 or 3 decades.

Once the city's second loop, the outer Perimeter Hwy is built, Highway 16 will no long be on Circle Drive but will bypass on the Perimeter Hwy on Northeast side of Saskatoon.

With the planned new Hwy 11 & Hwy 16 interchange on three decks & losing two leafs but gaining two subterranean fly-unders, this interchange will be compatible to have the remaining leafs turned into fly overs on a fourth deck someday…

...and have one of these babies

Last edited by SaskScraper; Aug 15, 2018 at 4:21 PM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 2:42 PM

Speaking of Saskatchewan, Louis Riel Trail all of a sudden narrows down from 4 to 2 lanes and goes through the town of Chamberlain. Any plan to change that??

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 5:56 PM

^^ Chamberlain, SK (pop 90) is the only 2km stretch of highway between Regina & Saskatoon that is one lane each way, 50km/hour traffic. It's also the junction of Hwy 2 to Moose Jaw to the South making Chamberlain a busy highway traffic spot.

Being almost midway between all 3 cities makes it a popular stop, Twisted Sister has been rated as one of the Province's most favourite Ice Cream shops.

One of the LED Billboards in town reads " The Riders to the South and The Rush to the North' since there's a lot of sports fan traffic in Chamberlain during game day & the CFL season and NLL seasons are almost exactly staggered to cover all the months of the year, 6 months each.

The issue of trying to construct divided highway around or through Chamberlain is that the town is perched on the edge of a river valley to the NorthEast & there is a railway right next to the town on Southwest side, making little room to build extra lanes.

The Provincial Highways department is probably just waiting to see if the population of the town declines and if there is a way to use town land to widen the highway someday or construct extra lanes through town on opposite side as the current highway, one way traffic on each side of town, and turning the town of Chamberlain it's self into a highway median.

With the popularity of the town as a truck stop and for regular highway motorists, the town's size will likely not drop for ages to come though.

A fun side note is that you often see concert tour buses stopped at Chamberlain and town residents often see famous people.
For example, I remember as a youngster seeing INXS tour bus stopped at Chamberlain in the early 1990's and even though I didn't really know who they were at the time I'd imagine towns folk have stories of the now late Michael Hutchence appearance in town that particular day.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 6:00 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

That other gas station is straight from a horror movie.

What does "Cold Offsale" mean on the hotel? It's related to booze.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 6:11 PM

Why not build on the other side of the railway? That would simply mean access is only by interchange though.

Also, I don’t think people like an SK version of MB 75 through town of Morris.

Last edited by Dengler Avenue; Aug 15, 2018 at 6:19 PM. Reason: I just looked at the terrain map and realized that turning Chamberlain into another Ernfold is actually a bad idea.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
That other gas station is straight from a horror movie.

What does "Cold Offsale" mean on the hotel? It's related to booze.
all mom & pop gas stations in SK probably have a 'Corner Gas' feel too haha..
Cold OffSale is absolutely booze related

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Why not build on the other side of the railway? That would simply mean access is only by interchange though.

Also, I don’t think people like an SK version of MB 75 through town of Morris.
I'm not familiar with Morris but I'd say Sask Highways Dept would want to steer clear of any busy highway at grade crossings with railways, especially in light of how horrible bus accidents can be.

It's more likely that Sask Highways Dept would plan a fly-over (or tunnel under) the town itself than do a double railway interchange each way across for Hwy 11

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 6:41 PM

Ah just like how it’s done in some part of the states.

BC should take notes when widening Highway 1. The traffic lights in Kamloops, in Revelstoke, and in Golden sure don’t feel right.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 5:59 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
back to highways...

While Regina's $2 Billion By-Pass that circles the city is nearing construction completion, Saskatoon's equally ambitious plans for a four-lane, 110-kilometre per hour
$2 Billion Perimeter freeway are being designed.
The Saskatchewan government has finished roughly mapping out the full route for a proposed freeway around Saskatoon. The last two sections of the planned route had yet to be finalized until recently.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...eway-1.4624936
Don't they want to complete the the south part to make it a complete loop ?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 6:03 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
The Team Gushue extension is coming along.

Video Link
Very nice.
But what's with all the graphiti? - looks terrible

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 10:34 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Oh it's everywhere here. Excluding the official murals by recognized artists, a lot of it is nice - amateur murals, attractive tags, etc. But most of it is pretty awful. Private tesidences, even in the core, seem to get a pass but most commercial/public surfaces are covered.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Oh it's everywhere here. Excluding the official murals by recognized artists, a lot of it is nice - amateur murals, attractive tags, etc. But most of it is pretty awful. Private tesidences, even in the core, seem to get a pass but most commercial/public surfaces are covered.
In "legitimate" graffiti culture occupied private residences are considered expressly off-limits.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SaskScraper
While Regina's $2 Billion By-Pass that circles the city is nearing construction completion, Saskatoon's equally ambitious plans for a four-lane, 110-kilometre per hour
$2 Billion Perimeter freeway are being designed.
The Saskatchewan government has finished roughly mapping out the full route for a proposed freeway around Saskatoon. The last two sections of the planned route had yet to be finalized until recently.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...eway-1.4624936
Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Don't they want to complete the the south part to make it a complete loop ?
The first perimeter hwy plan by Dept of Highways did include a full loop around Saskatoon but, it was scaled back to a more reasonable ¾ Circle $2 Billion project for the time being. The South Circle Dr Bridge is 6 lanes and was opened 5 years ago and it's capacity is able to take any added growth in that side of the city in the near future.

“What we found through our studies is right now, and well into the future, there isn’t really a sound business case for the southwest portion of the freeway,” said Ministry of Highways and Infrastructure spokesman Doug Wakabayashi.

“Even with the projected growth in traffic volumes that we anticipate over (the next 30 to 40 years), there still would be significant excess capacity on South Circle Drive and the new bridge.”

Wakabayashi would not rule out planning to complete the circle sometime the future, but said there is no “positive” case for it right now.

http://thestarphoenix.com/business/local-business/meet-the-2b-saskatoon-freeway-proposal

Last edited by SaskScraper; Aug 17, 2018 at 3:23 AM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 6:08 AM
Keep yo pimp hand strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
You know Saskatoon only half as well as you thought you did then
You're probably forgetting about the Two Interchanges nearing completion for 2019 in Saskatoon's northern suburb satellite communities of Martensville and Warman. These two communities are some of the fastest growing suburbs in the country and the Gov of Sask is finally building interchanges on each of their highways to ease the commuter congestion into Saskatoon.
Huh. Apparently I know it at least 3/4 as well as I thought as it was initially stated that 6 interchanges were under construction as well as the bridges. I guess that's what I figured in the first place and should have simply asked if that was an error in grammar.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 10:24 AM

^^ that's all cool, I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. I'd still give you a passing grade (this isn't like you're studying structural engineering in Italy that could impact safety of people's lives)

For a bit of a primer on a portion of some of Saskatoon's southern half of Circle Dr interchanges, here's an image web page. It's not all of the interchanges but it should help give you bearings & give you an idea of some of South Circle Drive's main connections in Saskatoon.
Enjoy

http://www.saskatoonpics.com/Aerial/...es/i-5DGpxGD/A

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 11:18 PM

I found this video that shows Calgary to Vancouver (Surrey) via TCH 1 and the Coquihalla Hwy; what adds to it is the author added the real time elevation (in feet). It's a couple years old so my apologies if its already been posted.

Video Link

Source: RJRRR

There aren't any labels on the route, but here's the basic breakdown:

0:00 - EB AB-1A (Crowchild Trail in Calgary)
0:13 - SB AB-201 (Stoney Trail in Calgary)
0:33 - WB TCH-1
2:16 - Scott Lake Hill
4:37 - Canmore
5:22 - Banff NP park gate
6:09 - Banff (townsite)
9:15 - Lake Louise
10:08 - Kicking Horse Pass (Continental Divide / AB-BC border)
14:02 - Golden
18:44 - Rogers Pass
22:33 - Revelstoke
26:56 - Sicamous
28:52 - Salmon Arm
31:20 - Sorrento
34:55 - Kamloops
36:42 - SB BC-5 (Coquihalla Hwy)
38:30 - Surrey Lake Summit
39:57 - Merritt
43:18 - Coquihalla Pass
45:29 - Hope / WB TCH-1
49:07 - Sumas Prairie (between Chilliwack & Abbotsford)
51:02 - WB BC-10

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 5:53 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

^Loved it - thanks for posting that !

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 2:56 PM
life in the present

Fantastic video, thanks for posting! Haven't seen air that clear through the Rockies in a few years now, really miss those views. Did much of that route last summer and couldn't see any of the peaks, Rogers Pass was 30km due to low visibility because of smoke. Much the same, if not worse this summer.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2source View Post
Fantastic video, thanks for posting! Haven't seen air that clear through the Rockies in a few years now, really miss those views. Did much of that route last summer and couldn't see any of the peaks, Rogers Pass was 30km due to low visibility because of smoke. Much the same, if not worse this summer.
The smoke was really bad this summer, in Calgary along Barlow Trail one can see the downtown skyline and the rockies in the background; there were days one could hardly see the skyline.

Were there any fires that were close to TCH 1 this summer? I know BC 93 between Radium and Castle Jct. was closed at times due to wildfire.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada