HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
707 Chestnut: 327 feet, 27 floors, 278 units (Aug 21 ZBA) - there’s already a thread for this but it’s locked
Is this for 707 or 709? the earlier thread is 709, isn't it? I see they want to combine 707-717..

BTW is there some way we can move this discusion over to tthe Highrise thread?

Last edited by GtownFriend; Aug 16, 2018 at 2:28 AM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownFriend View Post
This is great news.. this will be across the street from Scannapieco's next project.

A question, I thought that something of this size had to go through CDR before it was permitted?
One has to have a zoning permit to get on the calendar for a CDR hearing. I don't know the relation between a building permit and going through the CDR process.

I'm surprised the condo owners in Society Hill Towers aren't throwing a fit; this new tower might impact on some of the views from some of the lower floors

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 12:49 PM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownFriend View Post
Is this for 707 or 709? the earlier thread is 709, isn't it? I see they want to combine 707-717..

BTW is there some way we can move this discusion over to tthe Highrise thread?
Per your note, it is indeed for those combined addresses, so i lumped this new proposal in with the old one (709). And yeah, if a mod would so kindly move this to the appropriate thread, that would be awesome

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 1:32 PM

Apartment project to rise at 5th & Spring Garden

Quote:
Alliance Partners HSP, a real estate company behind the redevelopment of the former Destination Maternity building at 5th and Spring Garden streets in Philadelphia, has plans to build an apartment building on the site.

Plans call for constructing a four-story structure on top of 11,000 square feet of retail space on a portion of the site that is now used for parking. The building will have 50 apartments and the project will cost in excess of $15 million. ISA, a Philadelphia architecture firm, designed it.

Alliance Partners, which is based in Bryn Mawr, is partnering on the apartment project with Callahan Ward Cos., a Havertown development company that has done residential projects throughout Northern Liberties and in the suburbs.
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...-alliance.html

I believe this is going here: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9589...7i13312!8i6656

Love seeing more residential development along Spring Garden.

Last edited by Urbanthusiat; Aug 16, 2018 at 1:46 PM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 1:43 PM

I don't think anyone has posted renderings for the chocolate factory redevelopment. I like it a lot. Washington, like Spring Garden, is another corridor that really needs more of this kind of development. (From OCF's Facebook page).

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 2:08 PM

It looks like the loft project at the box factory at 1201 Jackson St is moving forward. I see work being done on it pretty much everyday. The latest approved plan from ZBA calls for 151 units and 68 parking spaces. No commercial.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lni-zoning-pdfs/27-325302.pdf

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisinphilly View Post
It looks like the loft project at the box factory at 1201 Jackson St is moving forward. I see work being done on it pretty much everyday. The latest approved plan from ZBA calls for 151 units and 68 parking spaces. No commercial.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lni-zoning-pdfs/27-325302.pdf
Really? I'm stunned. What kind of work?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 2:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
Also, while we’re in hopefully-not-getting-excited-too-early mode, two other potential projects per the ZBA calendar:

707 Chestnut: 327 feet, 27 floors, 278 units (Aug 21 ZBA) - there’s already a thread for this but it’s locked
1126-1140 Spring Garden: 170 feet, 16 floors, 172 units (Sep 19 ZBA)

I mentioned this recently, but Chestnut east of Broad is undergoing a crazy amount of work and has the potential to be a really spectacular stretch. I walked this length today and it is wild how many storefronts are getting major makeovers. There’s also plenty of under-developed parcels that could really be special with a little oomph. If someone wants to lend me like $20m, I’ll get started on that ASAP.
the restaurant at Chesnut and Juniper is finally open after a prolonged construction phase. definitely helps out that block big time.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 2:55 PM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Apartment project to rise at 5th & Spring Garden

I believe this is going here: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9589...7i13312!8i6656

Love seeing more residential development along Spring Garden.
This is very awesome. I was walking by here not 15 mins ago and that section of the lot is already fenced off - I was thinking it would be for more retail (per the new signage up there with some empty spots for other retailers), but this is even better. Getting more residents between Spring Garden and Callowhill would be a huge lift for the entire area.

Related, the new Target that is part of the adjacent SoNo development is now open and is about twice as big as I was expecting. It’s also been stocked with the increasingly family-heavy population in mind (huge food section, lots of baby/kids products, etc). This meets a huge need for Old City/NoLibs/Callowhill and it wouldn’t surprise me if this spurred additional residential in the immediate vicinity. Hopefully Arts and Crafts rethinks their office-heavy plans for their recent acquisitions in the area and incorporates more residential. There are a ton of new single family homes immediately north of here (esp on Fairmount between 4th and 6th) that will increase the street life in the area, too.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsarstruck View Post
Really? I'm stunned. What kind of work?
Lots of machines going in and out of the interior from the Jackson St entrance. All the old windows have been removed from the 12th St side and new ones going in. I drive/walk past often and there are people on site working every time.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 3:43 PM

Spring Garden from Broad to Delaware is just about the most ugly pock marked street in greater center city. Warehouses, lots, setbacks. Yet, I still view it fondly and that area has played a huge part in my life over the past 12 years.

But damn there is so much work to do there (and so much potential.)

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsule F View Post
Spring Garden from Broad to Delaware is just about the most ugly pock marked street in greater center city. Warehouses, lots, setbacks. Yet, I still view it fondly and that area has played a huge part in my life over the past 12 years.

But damn there is so much work to do there (and so much potential.)
Agreed but more specifically, the bones are decent between Broad and the viaduct but from there to the River is like you said, pretty abysmal.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
I don't think anyone has posted renderings for the chocolate factory redevelopment. I like it a lot. Washington, like Spring Garden, is another corridor that really needs more of this kind of development. (From OCF's Facebook page).
Kinda surprised by this, I thought there were plans to keep the smokestack and a few surface lots/some green space next to it. I don't see either in these renderings.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Kinda surprised by this, I thought there were plans to keep the smokestack and a few surface lots/some green space next to it. I don't see either in these renderings.

I don't think this site is zoned for anything other then industrial uses. Ori went ahead with the demolition of the old factory knowing that any change in usage wasn't certain. I'm thinking he'll have a fight on his hands regardless of what he proposes, and personally I'm ok with that. Considering his recent choices to tear down historical type buildings without having even the basic zoning to move forward, I hope he gets knocked around abit. Ever since he lost his campaign for City councilman, and lost badly, his attitude toward the both City Gov't and the city as a whole, has been his middle finger. He's learning to play hardball. He might learn that the City, within reason, can hold a mirror up to him whenever he comes around looking for variances and other changes needed to advance his projects.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 5:31 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I think there's some green space tucked in there somewhere and green roofs. As to the smokestack, that's been out of the plan since May, per the minutes from the May 11th Historical Commission meeting:

--quote--
Ori Feibush, the property owner, introduced himself and offered to answer any questions. He stated that he wished to clarify that they are no longer pursuing the effort to save the smokestack. He said they have had a company taking drone photography weekly and there was substantial shearing a month ago and the shearing has increased, and there has been movement. Mr. Feibush stated they have petitioned the Department of Licenses & Inspections to begin demolition of just the smokestack portion (not the building it sits on) and are working with the project’s engineers and the City to save portions of the building that can reasonably be saved.
--end quote--

As to what I think of the renderings overall, honestly they're a bit unimpressive in terms of the amount of rehab/preservation. Basically you have the Wanamaker-era boilerhouse squished under 4 additional stories of overbuild, with an added brick wall to the east to give a little heft. As far as the original 1865 building, I'm not seeing much more than the western wall and 2 of the 6 bays on that side are nothing more than a wall to nowhere, its empty window openings backed by open space.

The whole set of 10 images is on OCF Realty's facebook page here:

https://www.facebook.com/ocfrealtyph...type=3&theater

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 4:31 AM

FINALLY seeing development in Callowhill, and along Washington Ave. These two areas are long overdue. I think as Callowhill continues to build up, it's only natural that Spring Garden Street will follow.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfmcshan View Post
Here is the permit description:

"NEW CONSTRUCTION OF 31 STORY ADDITION TO BE USED AS MULTI FAMILY HOUSEHOLD LIVING 273 RESIDENTIAL DWELLING UNITS AND ACCESSORY RESIDENTIAL AMENITY SPACES AND MANAGEMENT OFFICES WITH RESIDENTIAL ROOF DECK AND MECHANICAL PENTHOUSE WITH 23 PROPOSED SELF PARK SPACES AND 91 BICYCLE STORAGE SPACES AND 2 LOADING SPACES"
Yep, B/P Group is developing this tower, their biggest venture in Philly by far (The National is almost complete - their first project in the city).
Also, a 31-story addition to the hotel is their tallest project ever as far as I can tell. Their last "tall building" was the River Tower on the Wilmington Riverfront, completed in 2007 (27 floors, 340ft tall). I am guessing they will be stepping up their game as far as materials, hopefully.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
I think there's some green space tucked in there somewhere and green roofs. As to the smokestack, that's been out of the plan since May, per the minutes from the May 11th Historical Commission meeting:

--quote--
Ori Feibush, the property owner, introduced himself and offered to answer any questions. He stated that he wished to clarify that they are no longer pursuing the effort to save the smokestack. He said they have had a company taking drone photography weekly and there was substantial shearing a month ago and the shearing has increased, and there has been movement. Mr. Feibush stated they have petitioned the Department of Licenses & Inspections to begin demolition of just the smokestack portion (not the building it sits on) and are working with the project’s engineers and the City to save portions of the building that can reasonably be saved.
--end quote--

As to what I think of the renderings overall, honestly they're a bit unimpressive in terms of the amount of rehab/preservation. Basically you have the Wanamaker-era boilerhouse squished under 4 additional stories of overbuild, with an added brick wall to the east to give a little heft. As far as the original 1865 building, I'm not seeing much more than the western wall and 2 of the 6 bays on that side are nothing more than a wall to nowhere, its empty window openings backed by open space.

The whole set of 10 images is on OCF Realty's facebook page here:

https://www.facebook.com/ocfrealtyph...type=3&theater
Thanks for he update - not sure how I missed this. That's a real shame. Happy Washington Ave is finally getting in on the fun happening on both sides of it, but would love to keep some of that industrial character when it can be done without inhibiting progress (i.e. the Sprouts location on Broad by Washington). O well, here's to more density!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 11:29 AM
Midrise

Finally some news on the Provident Mutual building at 46th & Market:

Would-be police HQ site at West Philly insurance building to become public health campus | Philly.com

The former Provident Mutual Life Insurance Co. building in West Philadelphia — once eyed as a headquarters for the Police Department — is slated to be transformed into a public health and community service center under a plan by Iron Stone Real Estate Partners.

The Philadelphia-based developer, in partnership with the Public Health Management Corp. health institute, was selected by the city to develop the 325,000-square-foot insurance company building and its surrounding land after a bidding process that ended earlier this month, Iron Stone partners Andrew Eisenstein and Jason Friedland said Thursday.

The decision provides some clarity on the future of the 13-acre property at 46th and Market Streets, which has sat in limbo since the city's announcement in May 2017 that it would move the Police Department into the former Inquirer Building at 400 N. Broad St. instead.

"The plan is for what we're calling a public health campus," Eisenstein said.

[snip]

Efforts are being made to have the building listed on the National Register of Historic Places so it can qualify for federal historic preservation tax credit support.

[snip]

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
Finally some news on the Provident Mutual building at 46th & Market:
More info not in the Inquirer article:

Quote:
Iron Stone Real Estate Partners told the newspaper it won the bidding process for the 13-acre site and will work in partnership with the Public Health Management Corp. health institute to transform the 325,000-square-foot building. The first phase of its redevelopment plans are expected to cost $80 million.

Some of the 92-year-old Provident Mutual building will be occupied by development partner PHMC, which plans to use the space for medical clinics, dental offices, a vision center, and mental health and community-outreach services.

Iron Stone is also in talks with Children's Hospital of Philadelphia to lease part of the building for medical offices, and it has been speaking with groups including the Young Men's Christian Association about the potential for a day-care center there, [Iron Stone partner Andrew] Eisenstein said.

Changes at the property, located just north of the 46th Street stop on the Market-Frankford El, will be seen prior to any major site work since Eisenstein said he wants to create semipermanent seating and retail spaces, and improve landscaping, similar to what commuters have seen at the Porch at 30th Street Station, the Inquirer said.

In the coming years, other structures, like low-rise office buildings, could be a possibility.
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development