HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 6:28 PM

This is pretty interesting...
Stadium Journey just posted a review of the cricket stadium in King, just north of Toronto. Pretty interesting to see it up there in farm country.

https://stadiumjourney.com/stadiums/...20-tournament/

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 7:29 PM

Ya. I wrote about this in the other thread about sports in Canadian culture. I liked it for what it was as explained in this article. Basically a last minute tournament and temporary stadium.

I went on the holiday Monday so there were definitely more people than when this guy visited. And the final was just about a sellout at 6,500 people.

I also mentioned that King City is not a good venue given that it's so far from their target audience. And I read that the organizers acknowledge this and were thinking of negotiating with Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club to return these kinds of matches there. They also said they hope to have matches in Vancouver in the future.

Next year is the Cricket World Cup so I'm guessing this won't be held next year. Maybe it'll be a bi-annual thing.

I'm impressed this stadium blog guy made the trip.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 8:42 PM
BANNED

A very well done drone video of a recent Roughriders game at New Mosaic Stadium. Surreal facility!

https://javapost.ca/news/java-post-a...mosaic-stadium

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 11:20 PM
ハルウララ

Wanderers Grounds, Halifax:

@WillyPalov, Twitter

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 1:00 AM

^Looking good!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 6:48 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
A very well done drone video of a recent Roughriders game at New Mosaic Stadium. Surreal facility!

https://javapost.ca/news/java-post-a...mosaic-stadium
Fantastic stadium!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 12:32 AM
ハルウララ

Will London build a downtown sports stadium? It's a possibility
MORRIS DALLA COSTA Updated: August 14, 2018

Some time next year London city hall will publish its 10-year parks and recreation master plan — and one of the possible projects discussed will be a downtown stadium.

https://lfpress.com/sports/soccer/wi...-a-possibility

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 12:51 PM

The city of London does not have any open air stadium for football or soccer with a decent seating capacity - so this is welcome news. TD is owned by Western, so they occupy the facility for Mustangs Football and other university events. Hopefully a new stadium (if done right) can follow in the footsteps of the success of Budweiser Gardens.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
The city of London does not have any open air stadium for football or soccer with a decent seating capacity - so this is welcome news. TD is owned by Western, so they occupy the facility for Mustangs Football and other university events. Hopefully a new stadium (if done right) can follow in the footsteps of the success of Budweiser Gardens.
Neither does MTL or Calgary then

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 5:52 PM

Quick update on Ottawa's arena project. While Rendez-Vous Lebreton (RVL) is still negotiating with the National Capital Commission (NCC), they've also started discussions with the City regarding, zoning, land use, municipal services, so on and so forth.

The City made it clear once again that they will not contribute to the arena, and the owner of the Sens agreed. He says he has the funds to pay his portion of the project (with other private partners paying the rest) and he is more confident than ever this will get done.

Development application will submitted to the City "in the next little while" according to Mayor Watson.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...lnyk-1.4780909

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 8:41 PM
Community Guy

Greece has the Parthenon, Rome has the Colosseum, and Edmonton has Commonwealth Stadium. Yes, it’s fair to put the Stadium right up there with the world’s most recognizable landmarks. This year, the Stadium turns 40, and it’s time to reveal the things you never knew about one of the most prolific venues in Canada.

Owned and operated by the City of Edmonton, Commonwealth Stadium is the largest open air stadium in Canada. With a 56,400-seat capacity, the entire populations of Edmonton’s Spruce Grove and Stony Plain suburbs could simultaneously attend an event – with room to spare. It’s the home of the Edmonton Eskimos, and over the last 40 years, the stadium has played host to two Grey Cup games, a U2 concert that drew in 90,000+ attendees over two nights, a near sellout Pink Floyd extravaganza, the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup opening ceremonies and first game, the Rolling Stones, AC/DC, and much more.

http://businessinedmonton.com/august...dium-turns-40/

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 8:52 PM

^ Dollar for dollar the best major stadium ever built in Canada.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 9:10 PM

Commonwealth Stadium (In the Beginning)

Video Link

I love the old commercials, anyone remember the girl who became famous for the "You Got It Pontiac" (46:34) commercials. Apparently some people still use it as a catchprase. TPB?

Everybody stole Georgio Moroder's instrumental "Chase" from the movie Midnight Express back then (126:08)

Last edited by elly63; Aug 20, 2018 at 9:59 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 10:13 PM

Only 2 Grey Cup games hosted in 40 years for Commonwealth????

Why so few?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
Only 2 Grey Cup games hosted in 40 years for Commonwealth????Why so few?
Am I missing something? They hosted in 1984, 1997, 2002, 2010 and will again this year. That seems normal for the regular distribution of games, plus in earlier times the game was somewhat kept around the domed stadiums.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 10:39 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Am I missing something? They hosted in 1984, 1997, 2002, 2010 and will again this year. That seems normal for the regular distribution of games, plus in earlier times the game was somewhat kept around the domed stadiums.
Yup, Edmonton's hosted 4 times, with the 5th coming this year.

In earlier times, it was kept in Toronto/Eastern Canada (not domed) ... Then Vancouver got into a rotation with Toronto and Montreal, which is when the domes started to come into place (late 70s-early 80s).

By the late 80s/early 90s, the Grey Cup was at the beginning of it's more equal rotation system.

Edmonton will be at 5 including this year, then Calgary will bump to 5 next year. Winnipeg has hosted 4, and next in line are probably Hamilton, Saskatchewan, and Montreal (pending a stadium solution as Olympic Stadium has snow-load concerns). Vancouver and Toronto could be thrown in at any time too.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:

Video Link

I love the old commercials, anyone remember the girl who became famous for the "You Got It Pontiac" (46:34) commercials. Apparently some people still use it as a catchprase. TPB?

Everybody stole Georgio Moroder's instrumental "Chase" from the movie Midnight Express back then (126:08)
To me the original 1978 capacity of 43,000 was the best setup for commonwealth. Th eskies always hover around 32,000 in attendance. Rarely if at all these days do all 56,000 seats get filled, maybe once every 3-5 years but thats it.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 12:38 AM

Quote:

Video Link

I've lost my passion for football - age more than anything else contributing to that. But watching a few minutes of that video really got my blood pumping.

I was a Ti-Cat fan but I used to love watching those Western matches, especially those involving the Esks. What a machine they were.

If you're not old enough to have watched that era of football, then you missed something special.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 1:44 AM

National anthem got butchered at the 4:42 mark of the video... love seeing those old time videos tho!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
National anthem got butchered at the 4:42 mark of the video... love seeing those old time videos tho!
I wonder if that was just an alternate version, Burton Cummings used to sing it the exact same way at Jets games back in the day.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada