HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 5:56 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
Alberta, western Canada has a pretty small black population compared to large Eastern North American cities, immigration is more Asian dominated. Nevertheless, We've had black provincial politicians - recently provincial cabinet minister Lindsay Blackett.

Rural communities like Slave Lake had a Muslim woman as Mayor. I don't recall any black Alberta Mayor's, but I can't see why a black person in Alberta would face any sort of different level of acceptance compared to any other visible minority. There simply aren't any historical factors here that would.

Anyway, there's a decent chance my gay, black boss (chief of staff to Calgary's Mayor) will run for Federal office as a liberal, so we'll see how that goes if he does run ;-)

http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2014/...entre-liberal/

Yes, my friend is fluent in French.

I actually read last year during Black History Month that there is was/is an entire town in Alberta that was settled by freed slaves in the 1800s. I dont remember which one, I'll have to do some searching. Pretty cool bit of history though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Cgy View Post
Sweet Jesus...can we just lock this thread and call it a day? It's just another typical "city vs. city/province vs. province" POS thread with little relevance to the actual topic.

To be honest, with the maturity of this thread, I wish the damn website would just go away. So very little to do with actual skyscrapers/urbanism anymore. Disappointing as only 5 years ago, it was an amazing source to visit for those interested in these topics.

Sorry, that wasn't my intention when making this thread. As always though, the Montrealers have to talk shit about Calgary.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 5:57 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
R
Does Alberta have black provincial MPs? Muslim provincial MPs? A black provincial Minister? We do, so that's not an obstacle to election, or having your limo after you're elected.

Lindsay Blackett was Minister of Culture last term (black), Sohail Quadri is a muslim MLA (MP).

Plus Manmeet Bhullar is Minister for Service Alberta

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manmeet_Bhullar

Plus some other Sikh and asian MLAs.

Conservatism in Alberta is "Damned liberals spending my tax dollars", not racism for the most part.

Oh and of course Raj Sherman is the leader of the opposition:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Sherm...tml?id=6109926

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 5:57 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilippeMtl View Post
Sorry to hurt your feelings but Calgary is still conservative by canadian standard.
Actually that's completely untrue.

Iqaluit is socially conservative. By Canadian standards. Calgary isn't.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 6:00 AM

Chad, honestly, I don't get why certain people continually piss all over Alberta. Chalk it up to ignorance I guess. Honestly, I'd just ignore them because it doesn't do much to sway them. I mean, they still try and bait you even after you constantly refute their claims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
... now the Edmonton guys might be irritated by that statement

(I think they're a bit more thick-skinned, though.)
lol! Yeah, Austin is often compared to Edmonton. Rightly or wrongly, both are considered bastions of liberalism and the arts in an otherwise conservative, hick-ish province/state.

That being said, although I'd consider Calgary a bit more conservative than Edmonton (I'd imagine most people from outside of the province wouldn't be able to pick up the difference), the city really is a very open and accepting place. Like others have said, it is a young city without the baggage that comes with a culture that has been cultivating for hundreds of years like in Newfoundland and Quebec and Nova Scotia. In Calgary, everyone is an outsider, by virtue of the fact that most Calgarians weren't born and raised there.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 6:04 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Chad, honestly, I don't get why certain people continually piss all over Alberta. Chalk it up to ignorance I guess. Honestly, I'd just ignore them because it doesn't do much to sway them. I mean, they still try and bait you even after you constantly refute their claims.
I don't know why, it just got to me in this situation. I've been pretty good at brushing it off lately though.

We really don't have to continue this conversation here though, let's just turn the conversation back to gay culture in Canadian cities (leave the bullshit baseless assumptions at the door and keep an open mind)

Both Kitchener and Lethbridge have closed both of their respective gay venues over the past year. Anyone have any good gay news to report?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 6:14 AM

Quote:
Alberta, western Canada has a pretty small black population compared to large Eastern North American cities, immigration is more Asian dominated. Nevertheless, We've had black provincial politicians - recently provincial cabinet minister Lindsay Blackett.

Rural communities like Slave Lake had a Muslim woman as Mayor. I don't recall any black Alberta Mayor's, but I can't see why a black person in Alberta would face any sort of different level of acceptance compared to any other visible minority. There simply aren't any historical factors here that would.

Anyway, there's a decent chance my gay, black boss (chief of staff to Calgary's Mayor) will run for Federal office as a liberal, so we'll see how that goes if he does run ;-)

http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2014/...entre-liberal/
Just so it's clear (and this is for both you and Dizzy Edge), I wasn't implying that it wasn't the case... I expected more or less parity with Quebec in terms of black, Muslim, etc. provincial MPs and mayors, and assumed that you'd bring up a few examples to confirm it, which you did, so it's fine. Keep in mind that you were the one who hinted it was unlikely in Quebec... my point was, not really any more than in AB...

If you want another example, here we sometimes hear that federal MPs from AB would wish to do something about granting abortion immunity to a foetus beyond a certain number of weeks... okay, sure, it's a minority of Albertans, but it's still something you'd just basically never see here. That kind of stuff, in the national media, tends to color our view of AB. (...surely CBC didn't invent it...)

AB is more of a 'clean slate' (I wouldn't say... a place with less culture, because you'll be thinking that I want to piss you off, but it's nonetheless a newer place, with a less defined culture)... and in that sense, sure, everyone will be welcome. I mean that in the sense that a newcomer is not seen as a potential threat (if he/she ends up not integrating) to the existing culture.

Also, open-mindedness isn't absolute. A quick example would be that Albertans are more "close-minded" than both Justin Trudeau and the people of Colorado. But you can also find things on which Alberta is less socially conservative than Colorado...

Quote:
Yes, my friend is fluent in French.
Wow, that should've actually rubbed people the right way, from a born and raised Calgarian. Sorry about what happened to him! I can't really say much beyond that it's surprising, and really not typical.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 6:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Like others have said, it is a young city without the baggage that comes with a culture that has been cultivating for hundreds of years like in Newfoundland and Quebec and Nova Scotia. In Calgary, everyone is an outsider, by virtue of the fact that most Calgarians weren't born and raised there.
Newfoundlanders could be the most friendly people in the world, and I'd still expect them to frown upon the massive arrival of absolutely overwhelming numbers of non-Newfoundlanders who all intended to settle permanently on their rock without integrating in the least...

You wouldn't get that at all in a place where basically everyone is already an outsider or a relatively fresh arrival...

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I don't know why, it just got to me in this situation. I've been pretty good at brushing it off lately though.
Are you kidding dude? I said Calgary was "still too conservative" then admitted to a certain extent it was a playful comment ... I come back to see that it set off a 3-page swashbuckling match over Calgary's worth. Brushing it off ?

To be perfectly clear - I wasn't entirely baiting you. The fact is, Calgary still isn't liberal enough to my liking. Toronto and Montreal are more liberal. You have to accept that Chad. Calgary is still conservative for many peoples tastes.

I appreciate your effort to brush things off lately, but don't think you're quite there yet. fwit I do appreciate your interventions on this forum

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 6:52 AM

OK Admin...Shut it down. Its a cock block

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK STAR View Post
OK Admin...Shut it down. Its a cock block
No, why? Spice is the variety of life.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 6:59 AM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftimage View Post
Are you kidding dude? I said Calgary was "still too conservative" then admitted to a certain extent it was a playful comment ... I come back to see that it set off a 3-page swashbuckling match over Calgary's worth. Brushing it off ?

To be perfectly clear - I wasn't entirely baiting you. The fact is, Calgary still isn't liberal enough to my liking. Toronto and Montreal are more liberal. You have to accept that Chad. Calgary is still conservative for many peoples tastes.

I appreciate your effort to brush things off lately, but don't think you're quite there yet. fwit I do appreciate your interventions on this forum
*cough* Rob Ford *cough*

Sorry, couldn't help myself!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 7:04 AM

Quote:
*cough* Rob Ford *cough*

Sorry, couldn't help myself!
What could be more liberal than electing a coke snorting (and smoking) mayor?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 7:05 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Brushing it off ?
I said I wasn't able to brush it off this time for unknown reasons, which is odd because I've been pretty good at brushing off the anti-Calgary ignoramuses lately.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 7:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I said I wasn't able to brush it off this time for unknown reasons, which is odd because I've been pretty good at brushing off the anti-Calgary ignoramuses lately.
You should be thankful for every criticism the city gets. It means its becoming an increasingly relevant and influential city - and different people with different agendas want to effect its course along the way.

I think it would help you to interpret comments differently:

Calgary is just an oil outpost

could be interpreted as Given how fast it's growing, Calgary should make diversification its primary economic goal

Calgary is all about money

becomes Calgary is extremely prosperous

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 7:18 AM
ARTchitecture

Yeah, or you know, people could just stop being bitches and actually say what they mean rather than leaving it up to interpretation. I guess I'm just old fashioned

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 7:21 AM

It gos on and on and on with no substance that makes people think.

Who is it about?
What happened?
When did it take place?
Where did it take place?
Why did it happen?

and why does it matter!!!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 7:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Actually that's completely untrue.

Iqaluit is socially conservative. By Canadian standards. Calgary isn't.
Iqaluit has a population of 7,000.

Gotta put the big boy pants and compare with the heavy hitters:

Van, MTL, TO, Ottawa, QC, Peg, Edmonton and Calgary

Calgary is the odd man, more conservative than the rest. And if that is not actually the case I can assure you it's what most Canadians would say in a family feud survey.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 7:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK STAR View Post
It gos on and on and on with no substance that makes people think.

Who is it about? gay life in Canada
What happened? gay life was stifled by homophobic townspeople
When did it take place? Recently
Where did it take place? Lethbridge, Alberta
Why did it happen? Because out-of-towners have heavily populated Alberta in recent years, bringing their gay habits with them, and some bigots have drawn a line in the sand as to what types of activities they'll permit in their cities.
and why does it matter!!! Because it is important to weed out bigots and shame them for their behaviour.

How did I do, teach' ?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 7:38 AM

After Tor and Ott, I've always found London to be Ontario's most gay positive city.

London has a reputation as being "conservative" which it is in terms of lifestyle. The classic "nice place to raise a family" is London but the city has never been socially conservative but far more live and let live. Londoners have always been far to busy shopping to give a damn about whether one is gay or not but London does have a VERY large gay population and a very well organized one with a long history.

It is quite common for white collar, university towns and older established ones.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 8:15 AM

Quote:
How did I do, teach' ?
Good rebuttal......But IMO its moot.

Its a weak Thread that has a destination as the Costa Concordia. Just my Opinion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada