HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 9:05 PM

There was a rainbow in YUL's big Montréal sign too. I'm ambivalent on Pride though. Let's celebrate our uniqueness by embracing stereotypes! TM

Last edited by p_xavier; Aug 11, 2018 at 9:42 PM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 3:05 AM
The New Republic

Happy Pride Montreal.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 5:11 AM
ARTchitecture

Forgot to mention, the Ottawa Wolves Rugby Football Club's bid to host the 2020 Mark Kendall Bingham Memorial Tournament has been successful, and as such Ottawa will be playing host to the Gay Rugby World Cup in 2020. The Wolves will have the distinction of becoming the first Canadian IGR (international gay rugby league) team to host the Bingham Cup.

The Bingham Cup has grown over the past 18 years to become one of the largest 15s (15 players per side) rugby tournaments on the planet. The 2018 edition of the Bingham Cup, hosted by the Amsterdam Lowlanders in Amsterdam, Netherlands, saw 74 teams from 20 countries, with over 1000 players participating in the global event. Those numbers are certain to increase for the Ottawa 2020 games.

The Bingham Cup is named for Mark Kendall Bingham, an openly gay athlete from the United States, and a hero of the tragic events of September 11, 2001. He was instrumental in the retaking of flight 93 from the hijackers, and bringing the plane down before reaching its target. He played rugby for two of the world's first gay rugby teams, the San Francisco Fog and the New York Gotham Knights. His mother, Alice Hoagland, continues to host the event every two years in honour of her son. <3

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 8:13 AM

^^ That's great to see how Rugby is gay friendly and integrated so well in the community with Bingham Cup honouring a hero.

I have friends that play in gay Softball & Swim leagues I know guys in gay Volleyball & Soccer leagues etc etc,
But probably one of the biggest gay sports in Canada is LGBT Curling.

There are nine cities in Canada that have gay bonspiels in their respective leagues.

Last year both the winning team and second placed teams in the National Gay Curling Championships were from Saskatoon.

Video Link

Saskatoon's gay curling bonspiel is in March each year.

Last edited by SaskScraper; Dec 19, 2018 at 9:04 AM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 8:09 AM

Life's a drag...

...especially if you're in Saskatoon!!

over the last few months, Kim Chi had a weekend at Diva's Night Club, Mayhem Miller had a performance at Pink Gay Bar,
and also Lady Bunny was in Saskatoon for the Diva Awards.

https://www.facebook.com/events/216560889021226/ https://www.facebook.com/Divas.Nightclub.Saskatoon/

Already for the start of 2019, Drag Queen Bingo is at Saskatoon's Capitol Night Club this coming weekend...

https://www.facebook.com/events/336809513807896/

Bob the Drag Queen will be at U of S campus Louis' Pub all weekend for Saskatoon's Winterruption Festival in a couple weeks.

https://www.proudout.com/po-event/bob-the-drag-queen/

In February, when Ru Paul's All Stars Drag Race Season Four winner is announced, Haters Roast will begin tour, including some of the stars from the current All Stars Season will be performing in Saskatoon such as Trinity, Monet X & Latrice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjQ_5uCItOk

In March, One of my favourite Broadway shows in the last few years, Kinky Boots North American tour arrives in Regina and Saskatoon.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/nation...erica-20181115

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 4:50 AM

^^ Speaking of touring Broadway shows with LGBTQ over tones.
RENT 20th Anniversary Tour is coming to Saskatchewan's two largest cities this Summer.

This is the first Broadway show (adapted to movie) that I identified with the most growing up and it'll come full circle for my husband & I when we go to see it when it comes to Saskatoon because it was also the very first show he auditioned for in London.

https://rentontour.net/

CamerooooOOONN... I mean SaskatooooOOONN continues to be a-must-visit for Ru Paul's Drag Race performers.
Alaska Thunderf**k 5000, All Stars season 2 winner, is at The Glen at Crossmount just south of the city for an Outskirts Saskatoon drag performance later this month.

http://theglenatcrossmount.ca

Coincidentally, The Glen at Crossmount is surrounded by many equestrian stables, which seems fitting for her since Alaska's original first entrance on Ru Paul's Drag Race was wearing a horse mask, haha.

In other LGBTQ entertainment coming to Saskatoon this Spring.
One of the most famous celebrity LGBTQ supporters in the World...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_We_Go_Again_Tour

Cher is at SaskTel Centre (along with 70's Disco legends Nile Rodgers & Chic) end of next month.

Cher will have made half a dozen concert appearances in Saskatchewan in the last couple decades.
I've heard from Saskatonians she likes coming & has been known to frequent locales like Rucker's climbing wall and Diva's Night Club in the past, while in city during concert tours.

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart...-years__24983/

Philanthropist and Gay Icon Elton John, has multiple nights at SaskTel Centre later this Summer for his 'Farewell' tour as well.

Tribute video to his career & farewell tour.
Video Link

https://globalnews.ca/news/4488229/e...anadian-dates/

https://www.eltonjohn.com/stories/fa...low-brick-road

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 5:34 AM
The New Republic

I played in the Toronto Gay Football League for 5 years and in this event. It was for part of the 100th Grey Cup festivities in Toronto. I've played with/against all these guys.

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 6:18 AM
ARTchitecture

That's awesome! I've played against Muddy York (the Toronto gay rugby team) a few times, and am friends with most of those guys That's really cool that inclusive football is doing well in Toronto too.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 2:30 PM

Internationally known drag performers/promoters recognize Saskatchewan as one of the top destinations to do drag shows in North America.

The Regina Queen City Pride 2019 Pride After Dark star performer hasn't been announced yet but chatting with the organizer, if negotiations follow through successfully, she's one of Ru Paul's winners and has already appeared in the Province once already this year.

In addition, Peaches Christ, my favourite drag performer from San Francisco is bringing one of her shows called First Wives Fight Club to Saskatoon, tickets went on sale last month.
The show was co-written by one of the hottest men out of drag i've ever met Varla Jean Merman.
Brooke Lynn Hytes, Ginger Minj and Raja are performing in the production.

https://www.qurblive.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFD-GeJjqZc

LA's Raja was the first Ru Paul's drag race winner I ever seen perform, (but Tea with Tatianna was technically the first Ru Paul's performer I had ever seen in Saskatoon).
I haven't really been following latest RuPaul's season but Brooke Lynn Hytes is my favourite to win Season 11 next month AND she is Canadian!. First time I ever seen her was at a Vancouver pool party (unless she was already dancing with Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo in which case I saw her 4 years ago) and I assumed she was a Ru Paul's winner already then, she's that good.

Tickets also went on sale last month for RuPaul's Drag Race Werq The World 2019 Tour which is coming to Saskatoon and Regina later this Summer and Saskatchewan is one of only a few select States/Provinces with multiple dates.

Quote:
Mission leader Michelle Visage "Takes you on a Journey to save the Galaxy" in the Largest Drag Production Ever Produced.
https://vossevents.com/events/werq-the-world/

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 9:19 PM
I am a typical

Is there anything for us gays that sit at home and watch documentaries on youtube until 2am every Friday night?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 9:24 PM

I wonder what % of people on this forum are gay? It seems to be a really high % compared to general society... Has a poll ever been set up? I know it wouldn't be 100% accurate but also don't think most people would hide it

BTW I am gay myself lol so I wasn't asking as an 'outsider'

Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 9:37 PM
I am a typical

Lots of polls have been done. Back in the Golden Era (2005 to 2010) the forum was about 33% gay. I think SkyScraperCity did a poll once back in the mid 2000s and it was roughly half and half.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 9:42 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Is there anything for us gays that sit at home and watch documentaries on youtube until 2am every Friday night?
Netflix, ice cream, and snuggles are what we get. Usually minus the snuggles

Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 9:43 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Netflix, ice cream, and snuggles are what we get. Usually minus the snuggles
I don't even have Netflix. I use "vidtodo" or whatever it calls itself this week.

I thought about getting Netflix but I just haven't bothered yet. It doesn't have everything, and I don't want to also have to get all the other ones.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 9:44 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I don't even have Netflix. I use "vidtodo" or whatever it calls itself this week.
I've got netflix, crave, and prime. Come through

Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 9:48 PM
I am a typical

I've got the shows Canadian Netflix, Crave and Prime don't have.

Also malware.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 2:02 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
That's awesome! I've played against Muddy York (the Toronto gay rugby team) a few times, and am friends with most of those guys That's really cool that inclusive football is doing well in Toronto too.
I wanted to play in high school but my school folded the team the same year I started there. Saw the TGFL at Pride and decided to give it a go. There were people who had never played before, men and women playing on the same team, and we even had a former professional football player (Hamilton Tiger-Cats) in the league. You don't get an appreciation for how good they are on television. When you're right next to them it's unbelievable some of the plays they make.

Muddy York are a little crazy.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 6:08 AM

2019 Edmonton Pride Festival cancelled due to 'political, social climate'

BY KAYLA BUTLER

Posted Apr 10, 2019

EDMONTON (CITYNEWS) – A colourful festival celebrating the LGBTQ2S+ community won’t be returning to Edmonton this year.

The Edmonton Pride Festival Society (EPFS) says its board of directors has decided to cancel the 2019 parade and party due to the “current political and social environment”, but there has been criticism from other groups about whether or not that’s the real reason.

A CityNews viewer sent us a copy of the email the EPFS sent to its members informing them of the cancellation.

In it, the society says “It has always been the goal of the Edmonton Pride Festival Society to host a safe and enjoyable event that is reflective and encompassing of the entire community as possible; however, given current events, we do not feel that this is attainable for this year.”

https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/04...val-cancelled/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada