HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 8:18 PM
Registered Drug User

Any comments from SSPers living nearby or familiar with the neighbourhood? I only know Parkdale as a rough and ready multicultural hood prized by hipster folk for its perceived authenticity in not having "sold out" like the rest of Queen West. Had no idea the vegan hordes had invaded.

Quote:
Even vegans are against 'morally superior' Vegandale's 'takeover' of low-income Toronto neighbourhood

At the centre of the community, residents are walking by signs advertising 'morality on tap,' 'morally superior IPA.' Vegans say the advertising is reinforcing negative stereotypes

The residents of Toronto’s Parkdale neighbourhood are calling it a “takeover.”

In 2016, 5700 Inc. opened its first vegan restaurant, Doomie’s. Since then, the company has aggressively expanded, opening an additional vegan restaurant, a vegan ice cream parlour, a vegan bakery, a vegan retail store and a vegan brewery — all within the same block. Up next is a vegan pie shop. The company dubbed the area “Vegandale.”

https://nationalpost.com/news/toront...-neighbourhood

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 11:57 AM
recession proof

It takes seconds to whiz past Vegandale on the streetcar so no, it's just one man's attempt to attract mostly-white yuppies to his establishments. I sometimes walk around Parkdale but have never been to 5700's restaurants--maybe I'll check out Copenhagen soon.

It would be like calling the Queen West and Beaconsfield area Drakedale because the Drake Hotel's owner owns most of the block. Or a Stratford retail strip Theatreville because so much of the restaurants etc cater to that crowd--I was in Stratford yesterday.

I wonder if 5700 Inc is related to property owners/developers in the area trying to attract future condo dwellers to his block?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 10:44 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

We went back to the Stone Jug in Carbonear this evening for me fadder's 68th birthday.

We started with a taco each - pork belly, pickled turnip... absolutely amazing. One of the best things I've ever put in my mouth.

Mom had the oven-baked freshly landed cod.

The birthday boy had chicken and ribs.

And I had the jalapeno avocado burger.

And for dessert we split a chocolate chip and blueberry bread pudding.

It was only $150 total for the three of us, including a couple of drinks. That's the same price range as far shitter pub food in St. John's. Well worth the drive. It looks like normal food pub, I know, but the flavour and ingredient quality is fantastic.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 12:42 AM

Oddly, that restaurant in Carbonear looks like our local East Side Mario's.

I remember nicer restaurants being quite expensive in Newfoundland. Much like Northern Ontario. I spent much of this Summer in Quebec and better quality meals tend to be about 20-40% cheaper than here. But I'm sure that nearby availability of the ingredients has something to do with that.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 5:58 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Oddly, that restaurant in Carbonear looks like our local East Side Mario's.
Right in the feels I think we have one of those here too.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 2:26 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The NL Embassy (pub with cafe-style food) has revived Lar's Custard Cones. That's a big part of my family history on Dad's side. I love it!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 2:28 PM

Is a custard cone the same thing as soft serve, or is it real frozen custard?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 2:34 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I have no idea. They taste much better but that could just be because they're made locally as opposed to whatever you'd get at a gas station or national chain.

People who say custard cone here, mostly older, definitely use it to refer to all soft serve if that helps lol

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 9:54 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

St. John's is extremely late to the ramen game - just a few years ago all you could here was a $30 bowl at a regular restaurant, with no Japanese involvement whatsoever.

Today there are two - Bad Bones Ramen on Water Street, with its neon HOT NOODS sign. It's trendy, fantastic, all of that.

Today I tried out the second - Noodle Nami at Churchill Square, the main commercial block in the near-core Churchill Park neighbourhood. Atmosphere is suburban, and Churchill Square always manages to feel dead even when you can visibly see dozens of people around. Absolutely no one in the hallways, though the restaurant itself had a wait for a table.

The menu is pretty extensive, and has lots of Japanese snacks and street foods so I'll definitely be back to try some of those. I went with the tonkotsu.

And it was fantastic. I think the broth may be even better than Bad Bones.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 3:12 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Joanne went to Newfoundland Bagel Cafe and ordered the waffles. Her choice of sides was sausage or fruit. She got the fruit, and this is what came

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 5:07 AM
recession proof

What are their bagels like?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 5:25 AM
ハルウララ

Speaking of ramen, Sansotei is still the best ramen in Ottawa, and there are still lines out the door fairly regularly. They've recently opened up a second location outside of the Downtown core.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 9:28 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
What are their bagels like?
I'm not really the best of judge of that, sorry. I don't particularly like bagels - my faves are ones that taste like fresh, buttered, homemade white bread at Georgestown Cafe. And I haven't had any good ones away to compare those here to - but I've never heard anyone even mention liking their bagels. Manna Bakery and some kosher pop-up I still have never managed to run into are the ones locals mention in passing.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 12:44 PM

^ I think Bagel cafe is just a name; they don't make their bagels in house and are bought in bulk from a supplier.

Good to hear about the ramen though, I'll have to check it out soon. If I can get Bad Bones quality ramen (or better) without having to find parking downtown or waiting in line for half an hour to sit at one of their 10 chairs I'll be really happy

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 6:15 PM
BANNED

Not since Crawdaddy's Louisiana Grill turned into Capitol Night Club a few years ago have I really latched onto a Cajun restaurant in Saskatoon,
but Bon Temps Cafe has continued to exceed my expectations every time.

http://www.bontempscafe.ca/

for a look at menu and food presentation click on link below

https://www.google.ca/maps/uv?hl=en&...oiowCnoECAoQCQ

I noticed a vlogger also has a youtube video from couple weeks ago that features the restaurant.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 6:37 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Some recent Toronto favourites of mine that I've tried in the past few months. Mostly newer places, but some of these have been around for a while now.

Vit Beo: tiny, late-night Vietnamese place on Bloor.

https://www.blogto.com/restaurants/vit-beo-toronto/

Mezu: great Korean place on Dundas with a big patio.

https://www.blogto.com/restaurants/mezu-toronto/

Rosalinda: this one was a pleasant surprise in multiple ways - not only are there not a lot places in the financial district actually worth going to; but it's all vegan as well - and all good. Beautiful interior too.

https://www.blogto.com/restaurants/rosalinda-toronto/

Tè: great patio spot for the summer, with some interesting dishes like kimchi ravioli and tasty snacks like bulgogi sliders.

http://www.tastetoronto.ca/te-restaurant/

Three Hands: cozy little place on Dundas with some hearty things to eat and drink - and open late.

https://www.blogto.com/restaurants/three-hands-toronto/

The Walton: primarily a cafe & bar, but it also has some great Scandinavian fisk dishes and a cute backyard patio.

https://www.blogto.com/cafes/the-walton-toronto/

Pizzeria Defina: good pizza on Roncesvalles for when you're tired of Libretto and Superpoint.

https://www.blogto.com/restaurants/p...efina-toronto/

Union: this one's been around for a good decade now, but it has a rotating menu based on local seasonal ingredients.

Leña: gorgeous, art deco interior - and the food's not bad either.

https://notablelife.com/best-toronto...group-dinners/

Itacate: some of the best traditional tacos around, located on St. Clair.

https://www.blogto.com/restaurants/itacate-toronto/

Paris Paris: if you can get past the douchey-sounding name, it's actually quite good.

https://www.blogto.com/restaurants/paris-paris-toronto/

Narami: lovely space on Ossington specializing in sake and hand rolls.

https://www.blogto.com/restaurants/n...sushi-toronto/

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 9:53 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

We went to Merchant Tavern this evening - in an old bank building on Water Street. It's owned by the same crowd as Raymond's, more of a down-market version - but still pricey enough. We spent around $250 for the two of us.

We started with the beef tartare and tuna - lots of local chanterelles and herbs.

I had the pork ragu. Plain choice I know but I heard the texture here was amazing and it had a crunch. Sure enough, it was interesting and good.

J. had the ricotta and green pea ravioli with chanterelles and wild sage, etc.

And for dessert, chocolate hazelnut cheesecake with some partridgeberry jam.

J.'s entree was the best, easy 9/10 food overall.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 5:58 PM
BANNED

Interesting to see new sports bars/restaurants choosing Saskatoon as first locations outside of Ontario to locate first.

Shoeless Joe's has been in Saskatoon for several years now but I don't believe there are any others outside of Ontario.
Shoeless Joe's is named after famed South Carolina Major League Baseball outfielder Joseph Jefferson Jackson back in 1910-1920 who once ran between the bases without shoes during a game.

http://www.shoelessjoes.ca/

Another sports bar/restaurant is opening it's first location outside of Ontario in Saskatoon.
Wendel Clark, who first played in junior hockey for the Saskatoon Blades, but also known as the last captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs to bring the team within one game in the series against the LA Kings & Gretzky, of sending the Leafs into the Stanley Cup Finals in 1993, is opening up a Wendel Clark's Classic Bar and Grill in the Saskatoon in 2019.

https://www.ckom.com/2018/09/19/wend...-to-saskatoon/

In Pop Culture Wendel is also famous for having the Canadian band The Rheostatics celebrate him with a song on their greatest hits album.
'Wendel was a man with a stick in his hands, who learned how to play in Kelvington 'S' 'A' 'S' 'K'

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 3:16 AM

Funny you mention Wendel's. My bro in law is a huge fan of his. He had his restaurant in Oakville when my bro in law was living there so he'd go sometimes. When the staff mentioned he'd come to visit on so and so date he made sure he'd be eating there that night.

A few of us showed up that night and Wendel did his rounds. My bro in law had a goatee going on so he shaved it to look like Wendel's famous chops, which made for a good photo op, especially with each of them raising their fist.

Then the restaurant moved to Downtown Burlington. Then my bro in law moved to Burlington. No, he wasn't following him. He's gone a couple of times since.

Anyway, when he did a cross country trip back in the day, he stopped in Yorkton, SK and mentioned in some bar that he's a huge fan of Wendel. Apparently everyone knows everyone and long story short, he got invited into Wendel's childhood home and had a drink with his dad or something like that.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post

We started with the beef tartare and tuna - lots of local chanterelles and herbs.

It would appear there are more than two dishes on offer here...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada