HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: How High Do You Want To Live?
Basement to 3rd Floor (house scale) 28 32.18%
4th to 6th Floor (up, but not above the trees) 5 5.75%
7th to 25th Floor (high enough to see the city) 21 24.14%
26th floor or higher (reach for the clouds) 33 37.93%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 5:31 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

How High Do You Want To Live?

This is a skyscraper website, so I thought I'd see who actually wants to live in a skyscraper.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 5:34 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I want to be low enough for a ladder truck or have a patio and parachute. Just in case. I'd probably die anyway but don't want to burn at height. So as high as possible in TO. Here, 4-6.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 5:36 PM

Currently live in the 7-25 category. I'd certainly take higher, though!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 5:50 PM
I am the law!

House, under 40 units (preferably half that), supertall

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 6:00 PM
Volatile Pacivist

I've gotten addicted to having my own exterior entrance. I enjoy not having to go through a building corridors and main entrance to get outside. But of course that generally limits a person to basement, ground, or 2nd floor. Occasionally there are exterior staircases that go up to the third floor, but not very often. But if I were to give that up, I could live at pretty much any height. My preferences lie more in the details.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 6:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Tough one to answer. I enjoy a good view, but as I get older I appreciate not having to navigate multiple staircases.

In general:

- In case of coronal mass ejection that could knock out the worldwide power grid or in case of a high rise fire, the lower the better.

- In case of the zombie apocalypse, I imagine the higher the better.

I decided on choosing floors 1-3. There is no advantage to floor 4-6. Anything higher at least gives you a bit of a view........

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 6:35 PM
sick transit, gloria

I prefer to live in a house, or house-scaled structure (rowhouse, 3-5 storey building with multiple apartments). I also wouldn't mind living in a mid-rise up to about 8 storeys in a good location. Basically low enough that you can easily take the stairs if need be.

The highest I've lived was on the 12th floor, but in an older condo building with slowwwwww elevators. It got extremely annoying to go outside to grab something at the corner store and so on. May sound petty but I like to be able to get outside easily. If I'm going to experience that may as well be as high up as possible (50+ storeys).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I want to be low enough for a ladder truck or have a patio and parachute. Just in case. I'd probably die anyway but don't want to burn at height. So as high as possible in TO. Here, 4-6.
Unless something absolutely catastrophic happens you probably aren't going to burn in a modern highrise (yes, we all know the exception). The Building Code is heavily focused on fire protection and preventing the spread of fire within modern multi-unit buildings. IIRC the only deaths in highrise fires in Ontario have been within the unit of ignition. So unless you fall asleep drunk with the stove on you'll probably be good! I'm sure your comment was at least a bit tongue-in-cheek but it would be safer to walk down a reinforced concrete stairwell than jump in an urban environment.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 6:41 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Really, really high.

So high.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 6:47 PM

I spent 6 years on the 7th floor of two different buildings. Neither one had a particularly compelling view, just mostly backlanes of downtown Edmonton and Winnipeg. I would have loved to have been higher.

These days I live in an urban infill home so not a lot of height there. But I always get a little giddy when I travel and stay in a highrise hotel that puts me above the 20th floor.

If I could find some way to do it, I would move to Chicago in a heartbeat and live as high as possible in the John Hancock Tower, Marina City or Lake Point Tower... oh man, skyscraper nerd heaven. Alas, my family life means that I'll be in a 2-storey home for the foreseeable future

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 6:58 PM
Community Guy

I currently live just above the trees on the 5th floor, it is almost ideal, but could very much live in a townhouse or 30 floors up.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 7:02 PM
DRINK

Here's a view from my kitchen. 21st floor. I like it, but starting to get to the point where I'd like to buy a house and have my own garage and all that good stuff.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 7:19 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Oh I want that chesterfield! And the bubbles in the jellyfish tentacles thing is really hypnotizing...

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 8:02 PM
life in the present

Love the Bensen Canyon sectional!!.. I have the matching chaise! Great taste!! I'm a huge Bensen fan and own many pieces.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 8:26 PM

I'd either like to be 50+, 3-5, or in a house or stacked town. Either give me incredible views of have the unit low enough that I can take the stairs.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 9:36 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

I think something like 4-10 floors (depending on location) is ideal. High enough that you'll get a bit a skyline view, but low enough that you're still connected to the street, and can hear the birds singing in the trees, and don't get too much wind, and can walk up and down if needed and all that.

Something like this for example, would be perfect: (which looks to be about the 4th or 5th floor)

Photo by Taller, Better on SSC

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 10:12 PM
Majestic

I've lived most of my life within a couple storeys above grade but my new place will be up over twenty. Then again, it may end up becoming my weekend getaway and not my main residence if job prospects follow through...

Flickr

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
May sound petty but I like to be able to get outside easily.
Not petty at all. It's one of the most basic things you need to do repeatedly throughout the day. It is important to make entering and leaving your own home comfortably a priority when choosing where to live.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 10:23 PM
BANNED

Basement floor, or high enough that the view is as good or better than nearby public viewing spots.

I generally dislike being at eye level with traffic neighboors.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 10:50 PM
恭喜发财!

I currently live on the 24th floor, which is pretty much high enough for me.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 12:00 AM

The highest floor... obviously.

In Montreal this typically means 3rd or 4th.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada