HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: How High Do You Want To Live?
Basement to 3rd Floor (house scale) 28 32.18%
4th to 6th Floor (up, but not above the trees) 5 5.75%
7th to 25th Floor (high enough to see the city) 21 24.14%
26th floor or higher (reach for the clouds) 33 37.93%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 1:17 AM

3-5th floor. Low enough to have a relationship with the street and still be able to use stairs every day. Plus, I can open my window without worrying about crazy wind.

I'm a geek for Jan Gehl and don't think I could live above the 5th floor.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 2:27 AM
be nice to the crackheads

As high as possible.

I'm currently on the 19th floor, and now that I think about it, I haven't lived below the 12th floor for 12 years.

My main reasons for liking to live high up are the exposure to the sun and sky, skyline views and to get away from the noise of the city (Shanghai is an embarrassingly loud town).

How could you say no to views like this?

sunset city 2 by Andrew Rochfort, on Flickr

falling by Andrew Rochfort, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
I'm currently on the 19th floor, and now that I think about it, I haven't lived below the 12th floor for 12 years.
I think 18-26 is about the ideal range. You get the skyline views and far enough away from the streets, but the wind outside isn't excessive and you can still enjoy your balcony and the elevator ride isn't annoyingly long.

I've been in units at floor 30+ and it seems the balcony utility is much reduced.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 10:43 AM
Hammer'd

I like walkups quite a bit but anything under 30 floors but above 2 I'd be fine with. Will never live in a basement again though. Horribly depressing way to live.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
House, under 40 units (preferably half that), supertall
I hope you're planning to rent that. Otherwise good luck with the maintenance fees that will come with maintaining the elevators required, spread over a small amount of strata units.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 10:54 PM

Just alcohol or grass for me.

I live on the 10th floor with a great north-facing view over the city. North view is good as I don't get too much of the (usually west) wind, and thus very little snow on my balcony. Also nice that my balcony is about 75 sq ft, so it's practically another room, at least when it's nice out.

I would like to try living higher, but as I have done the stairs during/after a fire in the building, I'm keenly aware that there is a downside to that height.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 11:24 PM

I once lived on the 41st floor. I didn't mind it. The views were amazing and you had all the benefits of a central location without the noise (it just didn't filter up that high). You could open the window and there would be no bugs. I wished I had a balcony, but I have a feeling I'd get a sense of vertigo just staring over the railing.

My problem had more to do with the building. When a condo is a certain height, there are still only a handful of elevators serving those additional floors. You'd have to wait up to 5 minutes for the elevator to get to you, even with dedicated elevators serving the topmost floors. That was a bit of a pain. Also bigger buildings usually have more amenities, which is a double-edged sword. Kind of like when you're a kid, you think you're going to use that indoor pool every day, but you really don't, and maintaining an indoor pool (and the events room, and the movie theatre, and the larger garage) just adds up to a bigger condo fee - even spread among more units as it is.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 11:30 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 2:30 AM

Already in the 26+ category. There's a surprising amount of wildlife this high up. I'm constantly sweeping spiders off my balcony railings (no idea how they get this high). I've also had issues with bats, pigeons, ladybugs, hornets, etc.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 11:09 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Well this does a good job of showing that lots of people like the urban form of a Mid-rise, but no one wants to live in one.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Well this does a good job of showing that lots of people like the urban form of a Mid-rise, but no one wants to live in one.
Other than the over 60% of poll respondents who have opted for the 7 storeys or more category as of right now?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 2:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
I think the 3 story option is by far the most popular on this site.

What the other newf posted is pretty much the ideal type living for the more conservative.

In either case I think most of us would still expect a high number of scrapers in our area.

This is the pragmatic ideal for a great many on here.

As was mentioned I don't think anyone here is objecting directly to being on a higher floor, it's more so an issue of affordability and lifestyle sacrifices.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 2:33 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Other than the over 60% of poll respondents who have opted for the 7 storeys or more category as of right now?

There's not question that the 25+ want highrises, and probably at least half the 7-25 crew do (that's 4 floors of mid rise*, and 14 floors of high rise).

*If you count 10-11 floor buildings as mid-rises.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2015, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post

Well I much prefer your view. More quaint. More on a human scale. Looks like a lovely neighborhood to take a walk in.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2015, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
I always thought those old Victorian neighbourhoods looked glorious after a snowfall.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2015, 2:05 AM

I presently live in the 9th floor of my apartment building, I'd optimally like to be above floor 30 in a building for the view and for less ground noise. Even 9 floors up I still hear things from the ground.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2015, 8:14 PM

In Regina, we live in a house in the suburbs (away from downtown!), which is very adequate, giving the kids (5 y.o. and twin toddlers) lots of room to run around inside and outside in the backyard. My wife used to live in an 8th floor apartment downtown (nearby where she worked) where the view from there was quite nice. Even from her office on the fourth floor downtown, you're above the tree canopy, so the view was picturesque!

When we're in Toronto or Vancouver, we'll conveniently and comfortably stay with family or at their residence (when they're not there!) which is 18th floor in T.O. or 27th or 35th floor (we can stay at 2 different places ... ) in Downtown Vancouver. Those places have a little bit less room for the kids to run around, but when we're there, we'll be mostly out anyway, usually visiting kid-friendly places!

The views are great! I haven't waited longer than 2 minutes for the elevators at any of the places. And I agree that there are less bugs to contend with at the higher levels! Commuting is a little more involved, as we'll drive to destinations that aren't within walking distance in our neighbourhoods!

Last edited by Scruff Bucket; Jul 25, 2015 at 8:31 PM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2015, 1:13 AM

I'd like to live downtown, 7th to 25th floor for a few years. If I ever have kids, then I'd be looking at a bungalow in post-war burbs (solid brick, decent sized lawn, still close to the city).

Old Posted Aug 1, 2015, 4:05 AM
The Vomit Bag.

I was pretty high from 18-34 (figuratively, literally). Living closer to the ground nowadays.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 4:06 PM
Midtowner since 2K

(Apologies for bringing this thread back after a while, just figured it's still a relevant topic for us)

I lived on the 8th floor for most of my life, though the last few years have been on the 2nd floor. I like sense of a good view, and hearing the wind blow into your window and howl. I don't care much for floors lower to the ground, but it's not something I have a disdain for.

I don't think I'd like living above 30 floors.....it would be too tall and the elevators are going to be a pain the arse. (And balconies are out of the question up there unless it's a subtle gust of wind.)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada