HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 1:47 PM
gettin' rich!

Canadian Financial Markets Investments and Stock Trading Thread

Scotiabank is letting a few peeps go, relocating some to Toronto, should have a good run up today (BNS- TSE)

Taking off at the start !!!

1.10%

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/td-b...bank-1.3284524

Quote:
Scotiabank is the latest bank to slash jobs during a time of healthy profits.

CBC News has learned that the company will be eliminating back office support staff jobs across the country. The positions typically involve paperwork for everything from commercial loans to account operations.

The cuts will come over the next two years as Scotiabank closes regional operations and consolidates the services into two high-tech hubs in Toronto.

The streamlining is part of an investment in new technologies that will help "reduce duplication, shorten turnaround times and minimize risk" for a better customer experience, said spokeswoman Sheena Findlay in an email to CBC News.

Scotiabank employs more than 87,000 people worldwide. Findlay would not say how many positions will be eliminated. A bank employee told CBC News that she estimates about 200 people will be affected in her region alone.

The worker said she and her colleagues attended a meeting last night where Scotiabank announced the news.
Let the money making begin!!!

Edit - I was gonna buy a few shares today, but I'd rather buy on some bad news, rather than on good news like this. lol! Push down the PE and raise the Yield a bit and then I'm in for sure.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 1:55 PM
It's Hammer Time

Sweet, I have ETFs in Canadian financial sector so that explains the spike today.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 1:58 PM
gettin' rich!

All the banks are letting people go and streamlining. The technology increases are making people redundant. So that will take some of the sting out of any potential losses they incur in the oilpatch. Scotiabank is gonna likely report big earnings jump next week, and that will spike the shares even more, so I'm waiting to buy some more shares on a dip before earnings report next week. Wanted to buy today, but like I said, don't want to purchase on good news.

I'm also looking for other sectors to invest in, with serious cash flow, and high dividend yields.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 2:01 PM
It's Hammer Time

Yeah I was watching BNN and the guest was saying that within 10 years almost all banking will be done online and they'll close branches.

I know with my mortgage they don't have any branches, it's all done online.

I was thinking of buying stocks in the oil sector but I'm going to hold off until Alberta's budget is released.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 1:48 PM
gettin' rich!

Investors are taking short positions in the big banks. TD Bank is now the most shorted stock in the TSX Exchange.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/10...n_8367442.html

Quote:
TD Bank is now the most-shorted company listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange, meaning it has the highest proportion of investors who are betting its stock price will come down. The Bank of Montreal and CIBC are also among the companies that have seen the largest jumps in short positions, according to an analysis at the Globe and Mail.

TD Bank confirmed this week it's beginning a round of layoffs in Canada and the U.S., in an effort to cut costs amid earnings pressure.

The bank would not say how many layoffs it expects, but unidentified sources told Reuters that several hundred employees are being laid off.
Currently I'm long in the banks/insurance companies, through my mutual funds and individual stock purchases. - I'm seriously looking at ETF's as one of my colleagues is currently making a fortune using them to be against and for commodity swings. I'm gonna use my dividend payments that I get this week to take a small position in a leveraged commodity EFT, just to get my feet wet.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 4:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
All the banks are letting people go and streamlining. The technology increases are making people redundant.

This seems to be the norm in pretty much every industry, people are becoming redundant, and it seems like at an increasing rate.

Not that I really have a problem with that directly, however it does beg the question what is gonna happen with all this excess labor.

The make believe economy is fallen apart.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 4:16 AM

All my favourite junior explorers are still nursing a hangover in the gutter.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 1:20 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komatiite View Post
All my favourite junior explorers are still nursing a hangover in the gutter.
I would get really nervous about investing in junior minors, they don't really seem to have anything to back up their share price except the expectation they will get something into production. (that's the payoff - if you know beforehand, whats going on internally)

Even ETF's (leveraged / inverse) are scary too, but at least they are designed around an underlying commodity (or financial assets related to), gold/oil etc, etc -

TSX Got Rocked Yesterday

http://ca.reuters.com/article/busine...0SK1C520151026

My financials also took a hit, but I don't care I want the price to get beat down so I can buy some more shares before the end of the week.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 1:39 PM
video et taceo

The influx of Iranian oil coupled with forecasts of a warm winter is likely to keep WTI down, and the Fed is going to need to raise rates sooner or later.

The USDCAD is a good candidate on any dip.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 1:24 PM
gettin' rich!

Stock market was up yesterday-

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/toron...ocks-1.2630988

Tomorrow is the big day, setting aside the cash to move into my first ever leveraged (300%)/inverse EFT position. - The money I put into that, I have to pretend it doesn't exist or I've thrown it away or burned it. Because in the end that is what might happen. Although my buddy/advisor does his trades with at least 5x more money than that and in a year makes about 60K-70K on average. If I were to follow is trades for the year exactly, I might be able to make 12-15k. Which I would quickly move into blue chip dividend paying stocks. He has sworn me to secrecy (and you can see how good I am with that! lol!), otherwise, I would post my trades here so you guys could see if I lost my shirt or not. lol! Still though, trust me, I'm scared.

Anyways, I might start posting my safe trades because I'm using my own formula for that.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 2:00 PM
gettin' rich!

http://ca.reuters.com/article/busine...0SN14720151029

Bombardier Stock is getting rocked!!

Pretty soon that company is gonna be worthless, I'm just trying to figure out if there is any point in getting in buying a boatload of shares for nothing and then just waiting around... lol!! (don't even pay dividends, WTF?)

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid...ardier%20stock

Bombardier Inc
TSE: BBD.B -

Down 15% today, this company is finished!!

Last edited by caltrane74; Oct 29, 2015 at 2:17 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
http://ca.reuters.com/article/busine...0SN14720151029

Bombardier Stock is getting rocked!!

Everyone who was excited about the Quebec government shoving money into the company (yay, free money) just found out what their valuation was this morning (boo, they valued it the same as their current share holders).

So, up 15% yesterday, back down today. Net change over 2 days is about 0.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 4:35 PM
gettin' rich!

Only they announced they are down $5 billion this quarter.

I guess that is expected, but that can't go on much longer.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 3:03 PM
gettin' rich!

Got crushed on my stocks last week, but are up this morning :

Valeant pulls down TSX; resource and bank stocks weigh

http://ca.reuters.com/article/busine...0SO1F220151030

Quote:
TORONTO (Reuters) - Canada's main stock index fell sharply on Friday, pushed lower by a slump in Valeant Pharmaceuticals International Inc VRX.TO after it cut ties with a specialty pharmacy accused of helping it inflate revenue, and by retreats in heavyweight banks.

The most influential single weight on the index was Valeant, which fell 17.7 percent after it said it will sever ties with Philidor Rx Services in the wake of criticism over the relationship between the two closely associated companies.

The Toronto Stock Exchange's S&P/TSX composite index .GSPTSE closed down 262.71 points, or 1.90 percent, at 13,529.17. All 10 of its main groups fell. It lost 3 percent on the week but gained 1.7 percent through October.
I finally got my commission check last week from work, plus I also got my dividend checks from my investments, I put that into cash, as well I'll fund from savings to make a buy if there is any downward move again on stocks. China is still slowing and that will for sure push stocks down. If that's the case, I'm gonna use inverse financial eft's (leveraged) to hedge my investments in case of further moves down and to protect my position (and profits if any) will be used accumulate more shares in blue chips. Things get wild this week, I push more into EFT's, if things stabilize, I'll go into Blue chips. Right now cash just waiting on the sidelines to see what moves the market will make.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 3:17 PM
I am the law!

Why am I not surprised. Such a gambler.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 3:28 PM
gettin' rich!

My goal long term is to accumulate Blue Chip Dividend paying stocks. Short term I'm just using the EFT's to protect my position. (any EFT profits go into accumulating more shares of blue chip /dividend payers)

I have set aside some risk capital to follow the trades of my colleague on the commodity leverage /inverse ETF's. (That's money I'm ok with burning).

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 3:41 PM
It's Hammer Time

Thursday should be a good rally for TSX, Hydro One goes public. Offering at $20.50 per share, annual 84-cent dividend, which is like 4% return.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 3:58 PM
I am the law!

ETFs is just another way for big fish to use little fishes' money to make high risk transactions. They claw back most of the earnings through service charges.

You , of course, go all in with a high pair. Don't remember hearing of a big fish speculating with their own money short selling.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 4:14 PM
gettin' rich!

If I go down in flames, I won't trade them again.

All I know is my buddy made 6k - Wednesday to Today (Monday) trading commodity ETF's, and he covered all drink and food expenses over the Halloween weekend.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 3:35 PM
gettin' rich!

I woke up to dis!

lol!

That $6,000 profit from Wednesday of last week to this past Tuesday was actually $18,000. This fool didn't tell me he put in $30,000, I thought he went in with 10k. So now he is up $30,000 in 9 days. Looks, like he'll hit a million by early spring right on plan. I'm so jealous right now, this is my outlet, cause there is no way I'm putting that type of money into leverages ETF's.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada