HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 11:11 PM

I was gonna go for a run but I may watch the game instead tonight. It should be interesting.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 2:37 AM

Raptors lose again but Cleveland is awesome.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 2:50 AM
The New Republic

Raptors beat Wizards to take Game 1.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 9:37 AM

Big win for the Raps. Shake off some of the playoff boogeymen.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 5:02 PM
GQMF

First game 1 win to open up the playoffs. It's a different world.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 7:50 PM

Raps need a decisive series win to put the past to rest.

There were some serious defensive holes in the first game that they managed to get away with partly because Wall had such a bad game. Can't count on that again and Washington is going to come out hot tonight.

Love that Casey is defying traditional tactics and still playing an extended bench in the playoffs. Guys like Siakam, Wright, Poetl, and hopefully VanVleet are going to be key.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 8:34 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Love that Casey is defying traditional tactics and still playing an extended bench in the playoffs. Guys like Siakam, Wright, Poetl, and hopefully VanVleet are going to be key.
The plan is obviously for the second unit to help defensively wear down the opponent's starters who are getting extended minutes, and there shouldn't be too much drop-off when it comes to offense, but I'm not 100% confident about that.

Because, well, the playoffs are a different animal. And as great as Toronto's bench is, they were playing against other benches in the regular season. I want to believe that the Raps can assault their opponents with a super-charged defense that never gets tired while the opponents do. I hope that's how it plays out. But I'm unsure.

Tonight's going to say a lot about how they fare in the post-season.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 9:02 PM

The best thing about Toronto's bench is that it's versatile enough that Casey can easily blur the line between starters and bench. We've seen him play Derozan and Lowry with some combination of O.G., Siakam, Poetl, and Wright. If they end up facing Lebron again I bet you we'll see some unique combinations to try and counter Lebron and the spacing he provides the Cavs.

Having VanVleet healthy and playing like he was at the end of the season is huge though. He showed he can play against starters and when he is hitting 3's the drop-off in offence is minimized.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 9:06 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
If they end up facing Lebron again I bet you we'll see some unique combinations to try and counter Lebron and the spacing he provides the Cavs.
Here's to hoping Indiana knocks them out in the first round.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 9:50 PM

Nah, I want the Raptors to be the ones to end his streak (8 years?) and finally quiet the skeptics.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 10:48 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Nah, I want the Raptors to be the ones to end his streak (8 years?) and finally quiet the skeptics.
The Cavs are noticeably weaker. Almost any team in the East playoffs is capable of knocking them off, including the Pacers. I'll settle for the Raptors making the NBA Final.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 4:26 PM

What's with the Raptors the series is now 2-2!
Is there anything Drake can do??

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 4:54 PM

Raptor's have a hard time playing a consistent game for 48 minutes. When things are flowing well they can dominate on both ends of the floor. When the opponent makes a couple big stops and goes on a run, they revert back to their old ways of lethargic iso-ball.

Not having VanVleet has also been a huge blow to the Raptors. Delon Wright doesn't have the same confidence when leading the second unit. He passed up on multiple open shot attempts late in the last game.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 8:17 AM

Big series win in game 6 for the Raptors. Wouldn't have been good for the psyche if they couldn't beat the #8 seed on the road and if they took them 7 games. Things are only going to get harder from here and they have to erase as many playoff demons as possible.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 1:41 AM
The New Republic

Raptors on to the 2nd round. I found this post game show quite good.

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 2:31 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Out of curiosity, what do you guys like about NBA basketball? I enjoy watching the Raptors play in the playoffs when they make a deep run. The back and forth when they score and the speed is entertaining but I'm unable to see much strategy beyond individual player skill.

Trying to get more into the games but not sure what I should be paying attention to, particularly in terms of strategy/tactics.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 2:09 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Out of curiosity, what do you guys like about NBA basketball? I enjoy watching the Raptors play in the playoffs when they make a deep run. The back and forth when they score and the speed is entertaining but I'm unable to see much strategy beyond individual player skill.

Trying to get more into the games but not sure what I should be paying attention to, particularly in terms of strategy/tactics.
Other than pure appreciation for the talent and athleticism on display, I like watching the match ups and watching team chemistry build over time. This is a team sport so a team with less skill can prevail if they have great team chemistry. Basketball is also a game of match ups. Figuring out at which position one has an advantage, then capitalizing on that. Height or size advantage?

Having the right group of players on the court. Knowing what your opponent's weaknesses are. Is this player a terrible 3 point shooter? If he is, you might not worry too much about him on the perimeter. Recognizing mistakes as they unfold, then capitalizing on that. Being patient and waiting for the high efficiency shot.

I really don't know the ins and outs of basketball but you pick a few things up over time. Maybe that video I posted will help a little.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 1:33 AM

Former CFL receiver Mike Morreale heads up new Canadian Elite Basketball League
Lori Ewing 3Down Staff May 2, 2018

Retired longtime CFL receiver Mike Morreale hopes he can parlay his football background into a successful league for Canadian basketball players and fans.

Morreale is the CEO of the new Canadian Elite Basketball League that will tip off in May of 2019.

“The opportunity to get back into sport was huge, and very important, it’s something I’m passionate about,” Morreale said. “It’s great to get back into it and get your hands dirty and hopefully create some positive change.”

The inaugural campaign will see a 20-game regular-season schedule and single-elimination playoffs, with teams in Edmonton, Saskatoon, Hamilton, the Niagara region, Guelph, Ont., and B.C.’s Fraser Valley, B.C.

Each team will have a 12-player roster, with a Canadian-player quota similar to the CFL.

Morreale was the president of the CFL Players’ Association until 2014, and was working with a Calgary-based private jet company when he crossed paths with Richard Petko, the owner of the Niagara River Lions which currently play in the 10-team National Basketball League of Canada.

“Along the way we got talking about creating something really special, creating a legacy for basketball, filling the void that kind of exists in Canada for professional basketball,” Morreale said.

The 46-year-old Morreale played 12 seasons in the CFL, splitting time with Toronto and Hamilton, winning a Grey Cup with the Argonauts in 1996 and with the Tiger-Cats in ’99. Morreale was named the most outstanding Canadian in 1998.

Several basketball leagues have tried and failed in Canada.

“We certainly looked at the leagues that had come before, we looked at where they did well, and where the pitfalls were,” Morreale said. “And we structured our organization in a way that looked at the best practices of not just basketball leagues out there but other professional leagues, across this country and internationally.”

Morreale said the CEBL will borrow from both the CFL and Major League Soccer.

“We settled on a structure that we believe can be strong in the short-term and the long-term, with a corporate model similar to the MLS when they started where the league will operate the six territories and really be completely funded,” he said.

Under a corporate structure, Canadian Basketball Ventures, the league will foot the bill for everything from ticketing platforms, to national sponsorships, to marketing.

“It’s a multimillion dollar investment, because that allows you to do this properly,” Morreale said. “If we’re going to do it, we’re going to do it right . . . and really create a playbook for our local territories to thrive and be successful with the support from head office at every turn.”

While the NBL is about to wrap up its season, the CEBL will operate May through August, and will play under FIBA rules, which include 10-minute quarters.

Among other personnel announcements Wednesday, Greg Francis will be the league’s head of basketball, in charge of coach and player recruitment. Francis is Canada Basketball’s manager of men’s high performance.

John Lashway was named president of the Hamilton team and the league’s executive vice-president of strategy and communications. Lashway previously worked in communications and community development for the Toronto Raptors and Portland Trail Blazers.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 8:07 PM
The New Republic

We already have the NBL. Why on earth would Canada need another basketball league on top of that?

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
We already have the NBL. Why on earth would Canada need another basketball league on top of that?
The "N" in NBL is false. The league doesn't stretch west past Ontario. Thus, the CEBL (which is a horrible name, why not simply Canadian Basketball League?) will fill the void. The NBL has failed to venture out of the east in it's seven seasons. Perhaps, it was never their intent. We need this.

Also, the NBL is more of a traditional minor league for US players. The CEBL will have Canadian player quotas (not sure the NBL does) and hopefully allow U Sports players to develop further. Given the new expanded FIBA competition structure with qualification games using non-NBA talent, this can only be a plus for Team Canada.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada