HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
Didn't Edmonton rip up the track at Commonwealth?
IIRC a removable covering was placed over the track.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 10:58 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Toronto is not devoid of Canadian cultural traits but by far the most striking one is related to what I might call "societal ethos". In that respect, it is most definitely Canadian. Other more traditional ("put-your-finger-on-it") types of cultural cues that tell you the city is part of a bigger thing called Canada are more discreet and in some cases even marginal.

I am pretty familiar with most of the world's megacities and Toronto is much further down this path that even London, New York City, Paris, etc. In all of these cases there is much more of a reciprocal cultural relationship between the metropolis and the heartland/hinterland. New Yorkers may not eat grits or have luaus but they sure as hell have heard of them and probably have some idea of what they are.

In a sense Toronto may be the closest thing there is to a "globalist capital city". Yes, American culture in Toronto takes up a lot of the space that would normally be occupied by domestic culture, but American culture is also a large part of the diet of globalists around the world regardless of nationality.
I'm very familiar with New York. It's knowledge and relationship with the US hinterlands is no more or less than Toronto with Canada. I also adore how you put it that Toronto is preoccupied with American culture instead of simply recognizing the significant overlap between Canadian culture (including Quebec) and American. We aren't being American simply by doing things Americans also do. It the subtleties that separate the two cultures and Toronto tends to be quite proud of those things unique to Canadian culture.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 11:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Culture is both a personal and collective thing. Sometimes a distinction needs to be made between the two.

I live in Quebec but am of Acadian and Franco-Ontarian origin with a not-insignificant anglo dimension to my persona, even if I am francophone.

This is me and it's as legitimate a way of being as any other. But that doesn't mean that the Québécois-Acadien-Franco-Ontarien-Gatinois-(anglo-familiar) culture exists out there in the broader context to any significant degree. Nor that it ever will.
Good grief. It's a thread about sports attendance Smh.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 5:54 PM
ハルウララ

Weekend Wrapup:

Edmonton & Ottawa......CFL.....Commonwealth Stadium....July 14.....36,260
Winnipeg & Toronto.......CFL.....IGF Field.........................July 13.....25,085
Hamilton & BC..............CFL.....Tim Hortons Field.............July 15.....24,135
Montreal & Calgary........CFL.....Molson Stadium...............July 14.....18,610
Toronto & Hemel...........RFL3.....Lamport Stadium............July 15.....7,247

Ottawa & Rochester.....................USL.....TD Place.............July 15.....5,525
Edmonton & New York.................NASL.....Clarke Field........July 15.....4,096
Ottawa & Quebec........................CANAM.....GT Stadium.....July 15.....3,192
Ottawa & Sussex County..............CANAM.....GT Stadium.....July 13.....2,292
Trois-Rivieres & Sussex County.....CANAM.....Stade Stereo+.July 14.....1,633

Trois-Rivieres & New Jersey.....CANAM.....Stade Stereo+.....July 13.....1,403
Ottawa & Quebec....................CANAM.....GT Stadium.........July 14.....958

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 6:21 PM

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Hillsboro Hops at Vancouver Canadians - 6413 - Northwest League
Medicine Hat Mavericks at Okotoks Dawgs - 4459 - Western Major Baseball League
Kansas City T-Bones at Winnipeg Goldeyes - 4413 - American Association
Bismarck Larks at Thunder Bay Border Cats - 920 - Northwoods League
Wenatchee AppleSox at Kelowna Falcons - 793 - West Coast League
Moose Jaw Miller Express at Swift Current 57's - 422 - Western Major Baseball League
Melville Millionaires at Weyburn Beavers - 215 - Western Major Baseball League
Edmonton Prospects at Yorkton Cardinals - 200 - Western Major Baseball League

Last edited by snowmobile; Jul 16, 2017 at 6:46 PM.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 12:24 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Impressive minor league base-ball attendance in some places.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 7:21 PM

Sunday"s Honda Indy Toronto was a "seat sellout" and the contract with the organizers has been renewed until 2020.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 7:35 PM

The CANAM League looks a little bit strange to me. 3 Canadian teams competing against 3 American teams, all of which are located within the New York metropolitan area. That would probably make more sense to me if the American teams were located in smaller markets near the border. This reminds me of the CFL expansion in the US. Do the American even care about this league? For some reason I find it hard to believe that people in New Jersey get excited over a game against Trois-Rivières.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 2:37 AM

In independent baseball, the opponent does not matter. People only attend the games for the promotions or just a nice evening outside. This is a fact as you can compare any regular season game attendance compared to a playoff game where only the hardcore fans show up.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 4:33 PM

Just throwing this out for discussion

We all know the issues in Toronto with the CFL and attendance, however in a Wednesday night game in Ottawa it was jam packed with 24,756 fans hanging from the rafters

In MLS last night, NYRB had 17,362, NYCFC had 22,011, LA Galaxy had 17,404 and Montreal 16,660. Granted Toronto, Atlanta, Orlando, Seattle, Portland are strong in attendance, but what gives TFC fans the right to kick the $hit out of the CFL when MLS as a whole is struggling in some pretty big markets

I am a fan of both leagues and want both to succeed and I know as a family person, mid week games are a struggle to get crowds...

But A) lets give Ottawa, Hamilton, Edmonton, Saskatchewan and Winnipeg credit for being in fans and pushing the CFL average attendance up.

And B) TFC fans, yes you have done a great job supporting your team, but it does not give you the right to think MLS is so superior to CFL, when MLS has tons of tons of its own issues.
Its not so much on this forum, but on twitter, the TFC trolls are mind numbing!!

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 4:52 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones2451 View Post
Just throwing this out for discussion

We all know the issues in Toronto with the CFL and attendance, however in a Wednesday night game in Ottawa it was jam packed with 24,756 fans hanging from the rafters

In MLS last night, NYRB had 17,362, NYCFC had 22,011, LA Galaxy had 17,404 and Montreal 16,660. Granted Toronto, Atlanta, Orlando, Seattle, Portland are strong in attendance, but what gives TFC fans the right to kick the $hit out of the CFL when MLS as a whole is struggling in some pretty big markets

I am a fan of both leagues and want both to succeed and I know as a family person, mid week games are a struggle to get crowds...

But A) lets give Ottawa, Hamilton, Edmonton, Saskatchewan and Winnipeg credit for being in fans and pushing the CFL average attendance up.

And B) TFC fans, yes you have done a great job supporting your team, but it does not give you the right to think MLS is so superior to CFL, when MLS has tons of tons of its own issues.
Its not so much on this forum, but on twitter, the TFC trolls are mind numbing!!
For some reason the amount of Facebook status updates from people in my "friends" who were at the Redblacks-Alouettes game last night was insane.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 5:11 PM

Quote:
For some reason the amount of Facebook status updates from people in my "friends" who were at the Redblacks-Alouettes game last night was insane.
I was at the RB-Als game last night. I thought it would be a sparse crowd due to the mid-week but the atmosphere was great with the full house. While the stands may look rather empty, the amount of fans who pack the social areas show where everyone is. I've been sitting in my seats for the first half then I'll go for a drink and end up watching the rest of the game from the corner stairwells (I usually will gravitate from one end zone to the other depending on the flow of play). I'm not alone in this way of watching the game.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 5:21 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
I was at the RB-Als game last night. I thought it would be a sparse crowd due to the mid-week but the atmosphere was great with the full house. While the stands may look rather empty, the amount of fans who pack the social areas show where everyone is. I've been sitting in my seats for the first half then I'll go for a drink and end up watching the rest of the game from the corner stairwells (I usually will gravitate from one end zone to the other depending on the flow of play). I'm not alone in this way of watching the game.
I've been to a few Redblacks games but I've never tried to do that. So they don't harrass you and tell you to go back to your seat?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 5:25 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

There is a lot of fun to be had at CFL games that tons of sports fans in a number of the league's cities are missing out on. (Or maybe their teams aren't doing enough to make it fun?)

Anyway, it's not hokey hayseed fun either. In case someone was going to go there.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 5:33 PM

Quote:
I've been to a few Redblacks games but I've never tried to do that. So they don't harrass you and tell you to go back to your seat?
Not at all. I've never had a security person come up and tell me to get back to my seat anywhere in the stadium.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 7:16 PM

The revamped TD Place allows fans to watch games from many public areas around the stadium. Empty seats mean nothing as you can see hundreds (or more) socializing in both end zones and no doubt in the lower concessions area of the south side stadium, which also overlooks the field.

What is amazing is that a small hill exists in the east end zone that is just outside the stadium where you typically see a few hundred fans who have not paid. I think for PR reasons, the RedBlacks have not blocked access to that hill.

The whole idea of creating a fun atmosphere has been a big success at TD Place.

With more than 17,000 season ticket holders, it is not hard to sell out every game.

OSEG and the RedBlacks has been great at introducing a whole new generation to the CFL. You can see it in the crowd. Every generation is represented. Amazing for a city that has had awful football or no football at all between 1980 and 2014. A lot has gone very well for the RedBlacks with the team and with the design of the stadium and the surrounding area and even with the transportation plan. The surrounding area is designed to allow lots of people to have a good time before and after games. Even the refereeing controversies that have been common at TD Place help by building up crowd interest, even if calls have often gone against the RedBlacks.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 12:56 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
You're cherry-picking MLS attendances from one weeknight. All of those attendances are below season average for those teams.

There's an ongoing Gold Cup CONCACAF going on in the states as well as large-scale European club friendlies also going on. The priority right now is being taken up by Gold Cup. Montreal has no real excuse, although they do have another home match this week (on Saturday).

Quote:
If anything, Ottawa and Hamilton are the average. Saskatchewan, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Calgary bring it up. BC, Toronto, Montreal bring it down.

In saying that, last night's Ti-Cats game was 23,531. I believe it's technically the lowest attendance at the new Tim Hortons field but i'm probably splitting hairs. 80 less than the previous low. Still, it's near capacity so there's nothing really wrong with this for a Thursday.

The 16,660 for the Impact on Wednesday was the lowest of the season and lowest since the penultimate home match last season. Brings their average down to just above 20K.

As stated, REDBLACKS crowd on Wednesday was very good.

Lions play tonight, tomorrow features three MLS and one CFL, and then the Argos get the pleasure of playing at home on a Monday night. Off week for USL/NASL, Jays are still on a road swing, Wolfpack don't play at home again until mid-August.

Last edited by JHikka; Jul 22, 2017 at 1:19 AM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
You're cherry-picking MLS attendances from one weeknight.
You mean like you do with the CFL? For a guy who wants to talk about attendance so much you're pretty quiet when the CFL does well and posts like crazy when it doesn't. When's the next Argo home game (Monday?) so we can prepare for your next post.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 2:03 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
You mean like you do with the CFL? For a guy who wants to talk about attendance so much you're pretty quiet when the CFL does well and posts like crazy when it doesn't. When's the next Argo home game (Monday?) so we can prepare for your next post.
Generally i'm posting about CFL trending and averages. Is there something wrong with my posts or do you just take issue with the subject?

I would talk more about the CFL's attendance doing well if it was doing well...outside of some occasional sellouts and strong matches its trends have been going down for the better part of a decade now. Show some bright points and we'll talk about them. I guess you skipped over my line supporting Ottawa's strong attendance on a Wednesday.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
CFL this week

Ham @ Sask
Attendance: 33,050
% Capacity 99.1

Tor @ Ott
Attendance: 24,347
% Capacity 98.7

Cal @ Wpg
Attendance: 30,165
% Capacity 91.3

BC @ Mtl
Attendance: 18,728
% Capacity 79.7

Financial break even point acknowledged to be 18,000 according to CFL super fan Sportsnet's Arash Madani.
jhikka, you didn't have much to say about this post.

How about doing us a favour and mensching up about why you want to kill the CFL. It's not going to affect MLS attendance in any way shape or form so why fear it? Do you really think people are so stupid they can't recognize your constant insidiously negative CFL posts and shots. Why the fear?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada