HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 6, 2018, 2:09 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Yeah, it's crystal clear it's impossible to fit Belgium into any definition of lower whatever in the SW corner of the BC mainland. To get anywhere near Belgium in area, you have to include tons of mountaintops/uninhabited wilderness.
However, Luxembourg would fit just fine.

Old Posted May 6, 2018, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
"Cutthroat business culture"!

One wonders why we don't use the incentives we're offering Amazon to attract other businesses. Imagine how many banks would move to Toronto if the city offered to not tax them? Imagine how many factory jobs we'd have if we lowered our minimum wage to 50 cents per hour and got rid of safety regulations? I can't tell if the bottom of this hole is lined with corporate profits or communism but we're falling headfirst into it.
Wait, are you saying that Toronto is offering those incentives to Amazon? I was under the impression that no specific incentives are being offered.

Old Posted May 6, 2018, 3:23 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister F View Post
Wait, are you saying that Toronto is offering those incentives to Amazon? I was under the impression that no specific incentives are being offered.
Which is why Amazon won't pick Toronto, because they're not looking for quality of life or amenities or anything like that, they're looking for incentives and tax breaks.

Old Posted May 6, 2018, 5:54 PM

I seriously doubt Amazon is choosing a location based so heavily on incentives and tax breaks. More likely they already decided on the location a long time ago and are just using this "contest" to try and get more incentives and tax breaks at that location.

Old Posted May 6, 2018, 6:00 PM
I am a typical

That's so evil it must be true!

Old Posted May 6, 2018, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
"Cutthroat business culture"!
I don't see the humour. As you yourself pointed out, Amazon's warehouse labourers are terribly exploited.

Old Posted May 6, 2018, 10:27 PM
I am a typical

Yeah, but I wouldn't describe this race to the bottom in worker's rights as a "cutthroat business culture". It's as absurd as Bezos referring to his wealth as "winnings".

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 1:53 AM

I would describe it exactly that way. Bezos has amassed, what, $110 billion, yet his minimum-wage slaves are worked to the bone; timed to the millisecond for every order, leaving no leeway to even take a piss.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 2:02 AM
I am a typical

I guess we're differing on whose throat is being cut. I read it as Bezos' throat, you read it as his employees. We're both correct in a way.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 2:40 AM
Dahvie Fan

I'll take sleek office towers over condos any day

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 4:06 AM

Office towers and condos look pretty much the same now.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 7:09 AM
Dahvie Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Office towers and condos look pretty much the same now.
I agree.... in NYC or Chicago

Not in Vancouver or Toronto

And steel towers are so much more fun to follow their construction

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 3:40 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by libtard View Post
Just to get back on track...

This is what economic muscle looks like

something just not seen in Toronto.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 3:55 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Yeah, looks like Southcore with less shaft and more testicles.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 3:57 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
As you yourself pointed out, Amazon's warehouse labourers are terribly exploited.
They're mistreating the robots? Say it isn't so!

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 4:24 PM
I am the law!

It wouldn't be an easy decision for any of us. Giving those robots tens of millions more in wages and incentives could affect his bottom line by tens of billions. Amazon is not making him money. He's rich because of its market value.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 6:04 PM

TWITTER, CITY OF MARKHAM/HANDOUT/THE CANADIAN PRESS

Dammit Markham, I wish you didn't do this. I understand boasting your city, but if you must, I would prefer "Candidate for Amazon HQ2". Technically, it is the possible home, but the odds are very long. Just seems so presumptuous to me even if it is technically true.

Quote:
MARKHAM, Ont. — A city just north of Toronto is making a play to try to position itself as the home for Amazon’s second North American headquarters.

Markham, Ont. — one of 10 Canadian cities that joined with Toronto to bid for the hub — installed 23 bright orange signs on Monday throughout the city, dubbing it the “possible home of Amazon HQ2.” It simultaneously launched a social media campaign and website called #ChooseMarkham.

The Greater Toronto Area is the lone Canadian candidate to make the shortlist of 20 cities — whittled down from 238 proposals — still vying for the multi-billion-dollar headquarters. Markham’s campaign signals a shift away from the GTA’s passive approach to marketing itself against the American metropolises still in contention, such as Los Angeles, New York City, Philadelphia and Atlanta.

“I wanted to inform our business community and our residents that when you hear the Toronto bid, that Markham is very much a part of that,” said Markham Mayor Frank Scarpitti, in a call to the Canadian Press that he made while standing by one of the newly-erected signs that he said were generating honks, but also shock from locals who had no idea Markham was in the running for the headquarters.

“It is no surprise we think we have the best site for Amazon in terms of the criteria we are looking for. It is a bid to capture their attention.”

Scarpitti scoffed at the idea that Markham’s campaign would make the other cities included within the Toronto-bid feel slighted because he said he expected all of the municipalities to be pushing for the headquarters and using it as an opportunity to boast about what they have to offer.

In Markham’s case, that’s 37,000 jobs in technology and related sectors and 1,500 high-tech companies, including General Motors’ new Canadian Technical Centre and massive offices from IBM Canada and Huawei that Scarpitti has been highlighting as part of the city’s “Innovation Week.” Executives from the company appear in testimonials on the city’s Choose Markham website.

If Markham is successful in nabbing Amazon, those numbers would grow because the company has vowed to deliver up to 50,000 high paying jobs and a US$5-billion investment.

“Our initiative here is really reflective of the bold initiatives that Amazon continues to make,” Scarpitti said. “They have been bold and we want to be bold and will continue to tell our story because it is a great story to tell.”

He said he felt Markham’s tactics were not part of “the race to the bottom” that other cities bidding on locations for Amazon or other big companies have engaged in.

Before falling out of contention, Calgary emblazoned the sidewalks across from Amazon’s current Seattle headquarters with messages including, “Hey Amazon. We’d change our name for you. Calmazon? Amagary? Love, Calgary ” and hung a 30-metre banner outside saying, “we’re not saying we’d fight a bear for you, but we totally would.” The same message ran in a full-page ad the city took out in the Seattle Times.

Halifax rolled out a flashy website mirroring Amazon’s fonts and buttons to claim that locating a second headquarters in that city would bring Amazon a savings of more than $10 billion over 10 years.
Winnipeg enlisted Blue Bomber football star Obby Khan and Mayor Brian Bowman in a cheeky video with Alexa, while Sault Ste Marie suggested that employees could canoe to work in a bid to attract the tech giant.

Hamilton even put $467,000 of cash behind its pitch, which it said was a 50/50 split between public and private funds.

Markham said its marketing plan has “little to no cost” and most of the work associated with it has been done internally.

While Scarpitti said he hasn’t been directly involved in Amazon’s follow-up efforts to suss out the city, he said, “even before they put out their bid they were up here in Markham checking out the sites, finding out about our municipality, so I think they are well aware about what the city of Markham is all about.”

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 6:12 PM
The Vomit Bag.

that Markham HQ2 sign is really sad. The view behind it only reinforces said sadness.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 6:14 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Calmazon? Amagary?
both sound terrible. The first sounds like a folded pizza, the second, like Gary (Indiana) if it were introducing itself.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 6:15 PM

Hasn't the speculation horde basically concluded that if Toronto gets HQ2 it's going to the east harbour site?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada