HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ The problem is red and white are (well... should be) the Stamps colours. It would be annoying if we had Calgary, Ottawa and Montreal playing off similar palettes. Although for a while in the 90s, three of the four Eastern Division teams looked somewhat alike at a glance, when they went heavy on the blue and white....
This post makes me wonder why the CFL has never gone full-NFL and come out with retro third jerseys. I'd love it if there was a week of the season where all the teams just wore retros. I'm a Rider fan, but I'd buy Als merch if it had this logo on it. I think it's great.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 5:23 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

^ Yeesh! I know it's just a difference of opinion but I think that Als logo is terrible.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 5:26 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Lost in the shuffle of all this action is news that apparently the CFL is looking to move up the start of the season by one month in 2019. This according to the one and only Rod Pedersen. So essentially we'd be looking at May training camps, a June start to the season, and a Grey Cup at the end of October.

I like it... it's been talked about for so long, why not give it a shot once and see how it goes? Given how weather on the prairies can be in November, I like the idea of adding more mild weather games.
I think that's about the perfect timeframe for the CFL schedule - I hope they try it.

BTW: Good news about MLSE buying the Argos.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 6:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post

Will Argos fan interest and attendance build off the momentum of their Grey Cup Triumph?

Will the CFL sign a new TV deal with the NFL network and for how much?
Lol Nope and nope. Jokes.lol. As if.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 6:59 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
This post makes me wonder why the CFL has never gone full-NFL and come out with retro third jerseys. I'd love it if there was a week of the season where all the teams just wore retros. I'm a Rider fan, but I'd buy Als merch if it had this logo on it. I think it's great.
A number of years ago the CFL went through a few retro decades in concurrent seasons, and they did actually do exactly that and have weeks where all teams wore throwbacks.

All teams in those years had third jerseys inspired by retro looks from the 60s and 70s (as far as I remember) and possibly more. I think that's where the royal blue made a resurgence with the Bombers. If I remember correctly, the Argos and Ti-cats retro throwbacks also gained traction and influenced their recent redesign. The experiment ended after they did the "signature" jerseys, which were very hit and miss.

And the Riders have also employed a 3rd retro look for at least a decade now (including at Grey Cups).

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
A number of years ago the CFL went through a few retro decades in concurrent seasons, and they did actually do exactly that and have weeks where all teams wore throwbacks.

All teams in those years had third jerseys inspired by retro looks from the 60s and 70s (as far as I remember) and possibly more. I think that's where the royal blue made a resurgence with the Bombers. If I remember correctly, the Argos and Ti-cats retro throwbacks also gained traction and influenced their recent redesign. The experiment ended after they did the "signature" jerseys, which were very hit and miss.

And the Riders have also employed a 3rd retro look for at least a decade now (including at Grey Cups).
I forgot about the Rider's third jerseys. They've been so common that I don't even know if Id consider them retro anymore. The Riders have had several other distinct uniforms in their past that I'd like to see them try out.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 9:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Will the CFL sign a new TV deal with the NFL network and for how much?Lol Nope and nope. Jokes.lol. As if.
Guess you're too busy trolling to keep up with the news.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
It'd be nice to hear how many season tickets they have already sold for next year.
Well, I bet it will be a helluva lot more this year than last, especially now.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 12:36 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
I find it unfathomably crazy that the Argos can be considered to be a profit machine,when it was 1 yr ago the team/league struggled to sell Grey Cup tickets, the home opener this year had something like 11,000 show up, and a avg attendance of 15,000 this year. Seems crazy for them to, within such a short period of time, be considered a profit machine. It'd be nice to hear how many season tickets they have already sold for next year.
Revenue is one side of profit. Expenses are the other and the CFL has very low expenses that are tightly controlled.

They produce something that is probably 75% of the NFL entertainment product's quality (I'd say more than that) at maybe 3% of the cost. There is a lot of possibility there.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Guess you're too busy trolling to keep up with the news.
The haters are gonna be extra salty today! C'mon TorontoDrew, get with the program... Your local sports overlords have made their decision and it's going to be more CFL for Toronto!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 12:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Looking good for the Argos. If a Maritime team is added too, I predict a long period of stability and potential growth for the league.

We need 12 teams, not 10.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Revenue is one side of profit. Expenses are the other and the CFL has very low expenses that are tightly controlled.

They produce something that is probably 75% of the NFL entertainment product's quality (I'd say more than that) at maybe 3% of the cost. There is a lot of possibility there.
How are CFL costs low?

Insurance, travel, medical are not cheap. CFL only gets deals because of the CBA to be drank which could change at any barging opportunity. If and when players start to become more sophisticated and bargain for pensions and extended health coverage then the CFL will start to sweat.

CFL gets the obvious discount on players salaries. CFL also saves money as players only put in half the time NFL players do and if they are not in the clock they are not your expense.

I would never call a professional football league with grown men a cheap operation.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 2:19 PM

^ Of course there are costs, but relative to a NFL team's expenses the CFL's cost side of the ledger is much lower. The point is that pro sports are a lucrative business and you don't need to be the Yankees to make a handsome profit. Even a CFL team at the low end of the revenue scale like Toronto can still be a tidy little earner because the team's overhead is not all that high.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
How are CFL costs low?

Insurance, travel, medical are not cheap. CFL only gets deals because of the CBA to be drank which could change at any barging opportunity. If and when players start to become more sophisticated and bargain for pensions and extended health coverage then the CFL will start to sweat.

CFL gets the obvious discount on players salaries. CFL also saves money as players only put in half the time NFL players do and if they are not in the clock they are not your expense.

I would never call a professional football league with grown men a cheap operation.
There is a CFL pension but some players are unaware of it and don't access it. There was a big article on it a few years ago. Lots of ex-CFLers aren't using it at all.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Lol Nope and nope. Jokes.lol. As if.
There will be an NFL Network deal coming up. You're in for a surprise.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
There will be an NFL Network deal coming up. You're in for a surprise.
I don't see why else there would be chatter about moving up the season in 2019...

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 2:55 PM

Quote:
I don't see why else there would be chatter about moving up the season in 2019...
Exactly! Americans love their football and this is a fix they can fill until September rolls around. And if they love the game, they can keep watching into October and really get their fill of football.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 3:04 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
MLSE buying the Argos has the potential to be a game changer for the entire league. MLSE made being a Raptors or TFC fan cool; if they can do the same with the Argos it's going to change the perception of the CFL around the country.
Riight ... coolness. That's what it is. Some Drake selfies with the team should do the trick.

The difference here is MLSE has the weight and connections to relocate the team closer to its core fan base should the Liberty Village location once again prove to be too big a hurdle for the marketing strategy.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Riight ... coolness. That's what it is. Some Drake selfies with the team should do the trick.

The difference here is MLSE has the weight and connections to relocate the team closer to its core fan base should the Liberty Village location once again prove to be too big a hurdle for the marketing strategy.
Toronto is a market that is concerned with its image. Why do you think the Blue Jays suddenly became the talk of the town when they became good? It was cool again to be seen wearing a Jays hat, where for twenty years it was embarrassing.

Throw MLSE's media savvy behind the Argos and you can definitely get them past their current image of being a game for old white men from the suburbs. And yes, if Drake supported them there would be people from Toronto who would give them a look. Don't kid yourself.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 6:12 PM

People here are giving MLSE too much credit. MLSE is still stuffed full of suits and challenging to get along with ownership. All these transformations MLSE is doing now is all done by the uprooting that Tim Leiweke did in his short stint here. The sports side has covered up the worts for the other aspects of the business. MLSE has grandfathered into a sleepy old Corporation that has no big-time vision for the long term IMO.

Tim Leiweke when he has here put the right people in place in each sports entity and they are all reaping the rewards now. He is not around now though to put the right folks in place for the Argos; this isn't a slam dunk. The Argos move just seems like an efficiency play; Rogers held out until the Argos could show they could make any money to be quite honest, I don't think it was a hard sell to get them on board so that everything could be streamlined and more efficient.

Look at how TFC, The Raptors, Leafs all market themselves very differently - it isn't a cohesive push that comes from MLSE management. I don't think the Leafs market well, Raptors have good campaigns but their execution can be weak, TFC has the best balance here in the market.

MLSE will have bigger visions if they do end up taking on the Blue Jays and then operate as a large sports entity for the two big Telecoms.

Last edited by osmo; Dec 14, 2017 at 6:40 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada