HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 8:55 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Despite the sloppiness, it was entertaining. Probably the first full game I've watched in a while. Youtube has me spoiled, I can barely watch more than 10 minutes of anything.
I'm embarrassed at my terrible attention span. If it's the Lions and they're in the game I can follow alone pretty well, but a neutral game I have to be scrolling through my phone at the same time.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 1:40 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

From the Marketing 101 file:

A little boy I know had his final day of tryouts for a local football team in Gatineau today. He made the squad and there to congratulate the kids who made it were... two francophone Ottawa Redblacks players dispatched by the team.

It doesn't matter that they're in the middle of the season and probably leaving for Winnipeg tomorrow, they still made it out to Gatineau to meet the kids.

Dad posted pics of his boy with the Redblacks guys on FB a few minutes ago.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 6:44 AM

Redblacks win convincingly in every aspect of the game. Best first half season record since the team was restarted in 2014. Team seems to be on the upswing.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 7:47 AM

Being a Rider fan is painful, but I take solace in watching the Bombers' inconsistency continuously raise and shatter the expectations of their fans.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 10:46 PM

Seems like a great crowd at BMO today

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 11:57 PM

I read on Reddit a few days ago that tickets were selling quite well for the game. Some people theorized it's because a ticket gets you free entry into the CNE and it's a cheaper way to get in, but glad some of them went to the game!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 12:00 AM

Congrats on the Argos getting 18104 fans into BMO today. Hopefully this is a start and can be a spark to slowly rebuild this fan base. With the Jays and TFC having struggles and the Raptors looking like they may be in rebuild mode maybe some fans in the GTA are finally looking at the CFL again. Hopefully the Argos with Bethel Thompson can pull off a string of wins now to keep the momentum going.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 12:33 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Congrats on the Argos getting 18104 fans into BMO today. Hopefully this is a start and can be a spark to slowly rebuild this fan base. With the Jays and TFC having struggles and the Raptors looking like they may be in rebuild mode maybe some fans in the GTA are finally looking at the CFL again. Hopefully the Argos with Bethel Thompson can pull off a string of wins now to keep the momentum going.
Nice to be able to look at the crowd shots and see a crowd of something other than red seats. I wonder what they did ... BC isn’t exactly a big draw. Probably having a lot of people down that way already for the CNE doesn’t hurt. And the two-for-one deal clearly helps.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 12:39 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Nice to be able to look at the crowd shots and see a crowd of something other than red seats. I wonder what they did ... BC isn’t exactly a big draw. Probably having a lot of people down that way already for the CNE doesn’t hurt. And the two-for-one deal clearly helps.
As others have stated an Argos ticket to today's game granted free entry into CNE. The highest drawing Argos game last season (16k) was also during CNE.

CNE gets 1.5M over 18 days, or roughly 80k/day, so there's definitely big crowds down that way.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 1:08 AM

The Argos do have the ti-cats twice Manziel and the Als and the Roughriders for the rest of their home games so that should draw better crowds than the Alberta and Winnipeg teams earlier in the year.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 1:39 AM

One thing I notice about Argo games, the people who are there are definitely engaged and now it looks like they have something to cheer for. Good to see Coombs back and doing well.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 2:45 PM

I was saddened to hear Matt Nichols' post game comments about how it felt being booed when he returned to the field in the 4th quarter.

I couldn't make the game on Friday night but had I been there I would have been booing loudly... not at Nichols, but at the coaches, for putting Nichols back out on the field during garbage time when there is zero upside. Why not let Streveler get a few reps in and get Nichols off the field so he doesn't get hurt?

No one paying any attention would seriously be dumping on Nichols, I don't know why he walked off the field with that impression. It was an off night for the team, but Nichols is still the undisputed man in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 4:03 PM
Community Guy

Mitchell and Reilly were giants last night.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 2:09 AM

Loud, sellout crowd watches the hometown Riders take down the unbeaten Stamps. Good looking broadcast, the way it should look. Love Coach Dickinson heckling the kicker

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
As others have stated an Argos ticket to today's game granted free entry into CNE. The highest drawing Argos game last season (16k) was also during CNE.

CNE gets 1.5M over 18 days, or roughly 80k/day, so there's definitely big crowds down that way.
TFC used to use this tactic also during its early days of luring attendance in with CNE admission, it's an easy way to get families in for a one game bump.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 3:46 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I was saddened to hear Matt Nichols' post game comments about how it felt being booed when he returned to the field in the 4th quarter.

I couldn't make the game on Friday night but had I been there I would have been booing loudly... not at Nichols, but at the coaches, for putting Nichols back out on the field during garbage time when there is zero upside. Why not let Streveler get a few reps in and get Nichols off the field so he doesn't get hurt?

No one paying any attention would seriously be dumping on Nichols, I don't know why he walked off the field with that impression. It was an off night for the team, but Nichols is still the undisputed man in Winnipeg.
I’m finding it a little hard to believe that a bunch of drunks were loudly booing out of a rather academic sort of concern about a minuscule chance that Nichols would be hurt if he played a couple minutes longer. They were booing, in my opinion, because Nichols hasn’t been perfect and Streveler is the shiny new toy that they covet. They were booing long before that part of the game anyway, or at least I’m pretty sure they were because I’d switched the game off before then and I had already heard some loud booing.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 3:58 AM

^ Perhaps it reflected a general frustration directed at the kind of night the team was having, but that's as far as I'm willing to go.

I was upset when I saw Nichols go back in but that was purely out of concern that he was risking injury when the game was already out of reach. I have not spoken to one person who seriously thinks Streveler should replace Nichols as starter, and some of my buddies are definitely the kinds of guys who have not hesitated to rag on starters in the past.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 10:49 AM

As the old adage goes, everyone's favorite player is the backup quarterback, goalie etc.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 10:59 AM

And speaking of QBs, the Argos McLeod Bethel-Thompson has an interesting nickname... Macbeth.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
As the old adage goes, everyone's favorite player is the backup quarterback, goalie etc.
There have been seasons like that in Winnipeg where people love to hate the starter, but IMO we are nowhere near that point in Winnipeg. People realize that if this team is going to win the Cup this year, it's going to be with Nichols at the helm. And that's why the last thing fans want to see is for him go down with a major injury near the end of a game that has already been lost.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada