HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 11:08 PM
recession proof

Canada will become America's 51st state.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 11:40 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
There is no guarantee there will be a United States in 50 years. Canada is also too large to be one state, we would be adding around 10 states.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 4:45 AM

Toronto will have just finished it`s 8th environmental review of the Downtown Relief Line with construction to begin "very soon'. Vancouver will still be trying to figure out what an overpass is and BC's Premier will live in Beijing to save commuting. After finding out that the construction company was owned by the Mafia, the Turcot Exchange will start falling down again and so Montrealers will again be paying for a new one. London will still be having it's BRT or LRT debate and KWC will grow to 1.3 million and still no one will have heard of the place.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 5:01 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Nah. Washington, Oregon, and Maine ask to join Canada. We say yes. Minnesota, Alaska, Michigan, and Puerto Rico on a waiting list to get in.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 9:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Nah. Washington, Oregon, and Maine ask to join Canada. We say yes. Minnesota, Alaska, Michigan, and Puerto Rico on a waiting list to get in.
If Maine asks to Join, so will New Hampshire and Vermont. Most of these 2 states are closer to Montreal/Quebec City than southern NEW England anyway. Our population would grow by 3 or 4 million or so instantly.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 1:51 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
If Maine asks to Join, so will New Hampshire and Vermont. Most of these 2 states are closer to Montreal/Quebec City than southern NEW England anyway. Our population would grow by 3 or 4 million or so instantly.
Proximity doesn't equate to affinity. Don't people in those 2 states look down on Quebec? Upstate NY would be a better fit.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 10:54 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Proximity doesn't equate to affinity. Don't people in those 2 states look down on Quebec? .
I'd counter this by saying lack of strong affinity doesn't mean they look down on a place.

Most people in NH and VT don't so much look down on Quebec as they simply see it is a foreign place.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 4:41 PM

I highly doubt any state will leave the US union without a major destabilizing factor. Say, a small scale nuclear war between Pakistan & India, or a massive cyberattack on US power grids. The latter is probable however I forsee the US government taking action before it happens (If they are intelligent and proactive).

(On topic now) In 2067 I see Canada as a slightly less influential nation on the world stage, mostly due to the rapid growth of other nations. I see population at roughly 50 - 55 million people, Toronto will slowly become far more important on a national and global scale, though I see Montreal retaining its status as the cultural centre of Canada. It's likely that we'll have a HSR link from Windsor to Quebec City by this time. We could also see a Calgary - Edmonton HSR Line, and Montreal - Halifax HSR Line as well. By 2067 I also predict that KWC, Winnipeg, Quebec City, and Hamilton will surpass 1 million inhabitants, with Urban Halifax, London, Victoria, and Saskatoon seeing 500k inh. or more. I think that Halifax will become Canada's predominant Eastern port city (More than it already is) and that we will rely less on the US for trade ( They will still be our largest trading partner). I see trade relations with democratic Pacific Rim nations (Japan, Australia, South Korea, New Zealand, Taiwan) coming into West Coast ports and European/EU nations coming into East Coast ports. Im on my phone so that's all I'll type for now. (More to be added)

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
If Maine asks to Join, so will New Hampshire and Vermont. Most of these 2 states are closer to Montreal/Quebec City
Not the southern half of VT, NH and Maine as they all gravitate towards Massachussets. I can't feel any connection between Portland and QC-NB, it is definitely Boston-oriented. Those things are hard to evaluate, but that's my impression anyways. Portland feels like a foreign place, as does Concord, Albany or Manchester (but not Burlington and not so much Bangor, imo). But I can definitely sense a connection between the northern half of those states (as well as Northern NY) and Canada.

Last edited by le calmar; Jul 24, 2018 at 7:24 PM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
Not the southern half of VT, NH and Maine as they all gravitate towards Massachussets. I can't feel any connection between Portland and QC-NB, it is definitely Boston-oriented. Those things are hard to evaluate, but that's my impression anyways. Portland feels like a foreign place, as does Concord, Albany or Manchester (but not Burlington and not so much Bangor, imo). But I can definitely sense a connection between the northern half of those states (as well as Northern NY) and Canada.
good point, the farther south you go in those states the less Canada is thought of.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 11:10 AM

I think Windsor and Niagara Region will also easily see more than 500,000 by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333609543 View Post
I highly doubt any state will leave the US union without a major destabilizing factor. Say, a small scale nuclear war between Pakistan & India, or a massive cyberattack on US power grids. The latter is probable however I forsee the US government taking action before it happens (If they are intelligent and proactive).

(On topic now) In 2067 I see Canada as a slightly less influential nation on the world stage, mostly due to the rapid growth of other nations. I see population at roughly 50 - 55 million people, Toronto will slowly become far more important on a national and global scale, though I see Montreal retaining its status as the cultural centre of Canada. It's likely that we'll have a HSR link from Windsor to Quebec City by this time. We could also see a Calgary - Edmonton HSR Line, and Montreal - Halifax HSR Line as well. By 2067 I also predict that KWC, Winnipeg, Quebec City, and Hamilton will surpass 1 million inhabitants, with Urban Halifax, London, Victoria, and Saskatoon seeing 500k inh. or more. I think that Halifax will become Canada's predominant Eastern port city (More than it already is) and that we will rely less on the US for trade ( They will still be our largest trading partner). I see trade relations with democratic Pacific Rim nations (Japan, Australia, South Korea, New Zealand, Taiwan) coming into West Coast ports and European/EU nations coming into East Coast ports. Im on my phone so that's all I'll type for now. (More to be added)

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
I think Windsor and Niagara Region will also easily see more than 500,000 by then.
I think that the Niagara Region would max out at 500k, due to the Escarpment and some of the only vineyards in Canada. I completely forgot about Windsor, my bad.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 4:26 PM

There are many vineyards in ON, QC, BC and NS. The escarpment is not going to be a problem, but I doubt the Niagara region will hit 500,000 by 2067 for many other reasons.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 9:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
Not the southern half of VT, NH and Maine as they all gravitate towards Massachussets........
Massachusetts is already considering joining Atlantic Canada….at least timewise!!......moving to the Atlantic Time Zone from Eastern Time.

https://boston.curbed.com/2017/10/26...ntic-time-zone

(and note that article mentions Newfoundland. Only the mainland Labrador pat of the province follows Atlantic Time. The island is in the Newfoundland Time Zone…..a half-hour ahead of Atlantic Time.

Last edited by ghYHZ; Jul 26, 2018 at 2:16 PM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghYHZ View Post
Massachusetts is already considering joining Atlantic Canada….at least timewise!!......moving to the Atlantic Time Zone from Eastern Time.

https://boston.curbed.com/2017/10/26...ntic-time-zone

(and note that article mentions Newfoundland. Only the mainland Labrador pat of the province follows Atlantic Time. The island is in the Newfoundland Time Zone…..a half-hour ahead of Atlantic Time.
I think Mass wants to Stay on Daylight Savings time all year. s
FOUND THIS ARTICLE.
By Nik DeCosta-Klipa November 5, 2017
New England residents may be relishing the extra hour of sleep Sunday morning. However, studies have shown that the semiannual ritual of changing clocks has perhaps outlived its usefulness.

And in fact, Massachusetts is officially pushing the idea of getting rid of it.

In their final report released this past week, a special state commission recommended that Massachusetts switch time zones “under certain circumstances,” effectively adopting daylight saving time all year round. The move — which would have the Bay State join Nova Scotia, Puerto Rico, and others in Atlantic Standard Time — would come with costs and benefits.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balletomane View Post

Provinces and Territories by population:
1. Ontario 21,139,000
2. Quebec 11,897,000
3. British Columbia 7,175,000
4. Alberta 7,049,000
5. Manitoba 2,094,000
6. Saskatchewan 1,822,000
7. Nova Scotia 1,287,000
8. New Brunswick 883,000
9. Newfoundland and Labrador 479,000
10. Prince Edward Island 226,000
11. Nunavut 69,000
12. Yukon 62,000
13. Northwest Territories 55,000
CANADA TOTAL 54,237,000

CMAs over 500,000:
1. Toronto-Hamilton-Oshawa 12,800,000
2. Montreal 6,163,000
3. Vancouver 4,228,000
4. Calgary 2,984,000
5. Edmonton 2,693,000
6. Ottawa 2,265,000
7. Waterloo Region (+Guelph) 1,852,000
8. Winnipeg 1,500,000
9. Quebec 1,209,000
10. London 858,000
11. Halifax 784,000
12. Saskatoon 682,000
13. Victoria 651,000
14. Niagara Region 621,000
15. Windsor 540,000
16. Regina 507,000
balletomane probably has the most accurate guess of what Canada's Provincial & CMA populations will be in 2067, although I doubt Alberta's population outside of Calgary/Edmonton will drop as he predicts.

Saskatoon & Regina's grew the fastest in 2017 and they are consistently among the fastest growing cities in Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Saskatoon, Regina led national growth rate in 2017
Statistics Canada says Saskatoon grew by 2.8%, Regina grew by 2.4%

Saskatoon's population was estimated at 323,800 people,
while Regina's was estimated at 253,200.

CBC News Posted: Feb 13, 2018 11:20 AM CT| Last Updated: Feb 13, 2018 11:20 AM CT

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...rate-1.4533264
One of the biggest changes we could see in Canada besides the direct human modification of the environment, is the country's climate & the direct effects of this climate change in Canada.

The World's & Canada's weather is getting warmer on average each decade. BC and Saskatchewan have each already gotten +39/40°C temps this Summer and typically do have these temps each year & eastern half of the country have had unprecedented record breaking temps for Summer 2018.

Warmer World temps can mean drier or moister weather in certain areas plus more polar vortexes in Winter in Ontario & Quebec because of changing weather patterns forcing colder air in certain places.

Severe Weather like Tornadoes may become even more common in the Canadian Prairies with Tornado Alley shifting further & further North and starting earlier each year.

you can see the expanding range of Tornadoes in places like the Dakota's and Montana just even in the last 2 to 3 decades.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/man-de...toba-1.4040722

Last edited by SaskScraper; Aug 8, 2018 at 5:00 PM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2018, 5:30 AM

With any Luck, several Northern Tier States will become part of Canada!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2018, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBob View Post
With any Luck, several Northern Tier States will become part of Canada!
Just Maine....remove that hump that separates NB from QC!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2018, 8:37 PM

^^ or as long as they are Western States & aren't the rust belt States like, Michigan etc would be a sink for equalization payments.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 1:40 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I'd counter this by saying lack of strong affinity doesn't mean they look down on a place.

Most people in NH and VT don't so much look down on Quebec as they simply see it is a foreign place.
I wasn't implying a correlation between a lack of affinity and looking down on a place. I've heard it said a number of times. So it's not true?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada