HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 8:48 PM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
And as a result, is a big liability for her candidacy in that it makes it look a bit frivolous.
It does seem like a bit of a knee jerk appeal to popular sentiment (ironically right out of the Ford playbook!)
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
If NYC can prosper with 15 city reps, we can manage fine with 25. 47 is on the high side, but personally I'm indifferent. I'm more concerned with Doug Ford and John Tory increasing the power of the Mayor, to create super mayors like in big American cities. Our system seems to be doing a good job, but then an experiment like that may work better. I'll wait and see to pass judgement.

Provincially enforced amalgamation and the greenbelt were great moves,
NYC does not have "only" 15 reps. It has a mayor, 51 councillors as well as 5 elected borough presidents. In addition there are 59 community boards with hundreds of members. Councillors in Toronto actually do a lot of the work done by community boards.

ETA: Also an elected comptroller and public advocate. Then each NYC borough is a county.

Last edited by Docere; Jul 31, 2018 at 9:35 PM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 9:18 PM

Also how can anyone who lived through the mayoralty of Rob Ford think a "strong mayor" system is a good idea?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 9:22 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Also how can anyone who lived through the mayoralty of Rob Ford think a "strong mayor" system is a good idea?
A lot of people believe that good government depends mostly on heroic efforts and so you need a bold leader to overcome the crony politics and push the megaprojects and sweeping regulatory changes through.

In reality the powerful leadership positions are most prone to corruption, and good functioning of government depends mostly on boring stuff like maintenance and incremental, empirically-driven improvements.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 9:22 PM
Midtowner since 2K

For the sake of many councillors, I see this being a ridiculous plan. The timing of it all is bad enough, but many councillors in the city have to deal with a great deal as is, with development applications and numerous phone calls (One councillor has 12-15 work days daily). If we were to have seen this announced after the election, that would've been better, although personally I think the amount of councillors is fine, albeit we should revise the borders of some wards, and axe a few councillors.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 9:31 PM

And far from "cleaning up" City Hall and making it more innovative and dynamic, it's basically a gift to incumbents and prevents the election of newer, more diverse voices from being elected.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Does Ottawa even have the legal power to change the way cities are governed (under constitutionally entrenched provincial authority)?
No, municipalities really are "creatures of the provinces." And that'll never chnage unless provincial premiers en masse become supporters of more municipal sovereignty (not likely!)

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 9:53 PM

City councillors sit on a number of boards and committees that make all sorts of important decisions. Cutting the number of councillors in half requires each councillor to sit on twice as many of these boards/committees in addition to doubling their constituency work.

Under this reform, Toronto's council won't be much larger than Ottawa's. Per each provincial riding, Torontonians will have only one municipal rep, while others will have up to (and perhaps even over) 100. Additionally, this reform singles out Toronto as the only municipality in the province not able to determine the size of its own council.

I'm not sure what pushback this will face politically, but it will likely lead to some interesting legal cases.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 10:04 PM

Rob and Doug Ford never did any committee work on council and often mocked those that took that part of the job seriously.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wg_flamip View Post
Additionally, this reform singles out Toronto as the only municipality in the province not able to determine the size of its own council.
Ford really is that petty and vindictive toward the city that rejected him when he ran for mayor and again in the provincial election.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 11:10 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Ford really is that petty and vindictive toward the city that rejected him when he ran for mayor and again in the provincial election.
This is one of the things that angers me most about the rise of rightwing populism. It's so transparently childish and idiotic as to be insulting.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 11:22 PM

I had the "privilege" to visit Queen's Park at question period yesterday, and they're really acting like "sore winners."

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 11:23 PM

Fighting words from Councillor Gord Perks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=wYWCYNvwzWo

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 11:28 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
I had the "privilege" to visit Queen's Park at question period yesterday, and they're really acting like "sore winners."
Anyone can just walk in and spectate??

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 11:31 PM

Yes, as long as you go through security and don't applaud, heckle, hold banners or text.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 1:43 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Why would Toronto cede the leadership of our largest province which we increasingly dominate and hold many headquarters. It sounds rather myopic, I'd like to hear her reasoning, should be interesting.
She explains it more on her twitter, but basically she believes that cities should have more power to control their own affairs. I agree, but I don't think separating our cities and rural areas further will improve things from a national perspective.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 2:17 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
One of the policy points of mayoral challenger (and former chief planner) Jennifer Keesmaat in the upcoming election is to secede from Ontario and form a separate Province of Toronto. I'd support that, though it seems highly unlikely that it would ever receive the necessary constitutional amendment to do so.
Personally, I think it would make more sense for Northern Ontario to split and become two provinces, but that is just me.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 2:25 AM
Volatile Pacivist

I just have such a hard time understanding how anyone would actually be wiling to vote for him...

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 2:31 AM

Quote:
NYC does not have "only" 15 reps. It has a mayor, 51 councillors as well as 5 elected borough presidents. In addition there are 59 community boards with hundreds of members. Councillors in Toronto actually do a lot of the work done by community boards.

ETA: Also an elected comptroller and public advocate. Then each NYC borough is a county.
The whole relationship between counties and cities always confused me, whether it's in the US or in Canada.

There appears to be no "one size fits all". There are situations where a city is the equivalent of a county, situations where a city is within a county, and even situations where counties are smaller than cities such as when each NYC borough is a county.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 3:20 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
The whole relationship between counties and cities always confused me, whether it's in the US or in Canada.

There appears to be no "one size fits all". There are situations where a city is the equivalent of a county, situations where a city is within a county, and even situations where counties are smaller than cities such as when each NYC borough is a county.
Here's an article on "independent cities" in the US: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indepe...United_States)

I think Canada mostly has 1 layer (municipality or county or regional district) while the US may have 2 layers or 1 layer (independent city. county, or municipality + county stacked on top of each other).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada