HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 7:52 PM

When I think of Montreal the first image that pops into my head is 1000 De La Gauchetière. It's the most unique silhouette in the skyline, the Big O might trump it had it not been so far out from the core.

[IMG]1000 de La Gauchetière by monkywiz, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 9:40 PM

Victoria Hall for Cobourg, no doubt.

Victoria Hall in Cobourg by P Thomas, on Flickr

Victoria Hall by Alan Livingstone MacLeod, on Flickr

Cobourg Sunset by PJMixer, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 3:33 PM

In most cities, you could have a lively debate about which building is the most iconic, but for Ottawa, no one can argue that this is THE emblem of the city.

https://www.britannica.com/event/Parliament-Hill-Attack

In other cities, I would vote;

Halifax: Clock Tower
Québec: Château Frontenac (no contest)
Montréal: Big "O" or Place Ville Marie
Toronto: CN Tower (no contest), City Hall comes solidly in second
Winnipeg: Canadian Human Rights Museum
Calgary: the Bow or Saddledome
Edmonton: Muttart Conservatory
Vancouver: Canada Place

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 3:50 PM

During the current "Boom", say last 10 years, Ottawa has gained at least one iconic building in the Ottawa Convention Centre.

https://eventseeker.com/venue/692826...ntre-ottawa-on

I don't think any of the new towers can be considered iconic however. This might change in the next 10 years with 900 Albert, a three tower complex with the tallest clocking in at 65 floors. In addition, the new NHL arena could also become one of the city's signature buildings.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 4:44 PM

It's really nice but it's not a building that comes to mind when thinking of Ottawa.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
It's really nice but it's not a building that comes to mind when thinking of Ottawa.
It's in the category, at most, of "locally iconic".

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 2:49 AM

It's the first thing I would have thought of if Parliament Hill and Chateau Laurier weren't options.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 3:02 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Never heard of the convention centre for Ottawa....I doubt many others have in this country (of course, many is a vague term.....but in this case lets say 5 million).

I think over time that could be more iconic.....especially if something nearby accented it to make it more special.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 4:25 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Sauga View Post
Victoria: Empress Hotel
Vancouver: Canada Place
Edmonton: ??
Calgary: Saddledome
Regina: Sask Parliament Building
Saskatoon: Delta Bessborough
Winnipeg: Human Rights Museum
Hamilton: Steel plants
Toronto: CN Tower
Ottawa: Parliament
Montreal: Olympic Stadium
Quebec: Chateau
Halifax: Purdys Wharf?
St John: colorful house
No one calls it a Parliament here... The Legislature or more commonly, "Leg" (pronounced ledge).

A close second would probably be the Hill twin towers downtown, though.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 5:13 AM

Good pics Andy6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
For Winnipeg ten buildings that are iconic, in the sense of really being memorable to visitors. These are mostly places that I can remember non-Winnipeggers mentioning to me unprompted at one time or another:
Very interesting freemasonry hermetic code architecture tour of the Manitoba Legislature, probably the most interesting and intriguing legislative building in North America.
Quote:
At first glance, the Manitoba legislature looks like a typical government building. But if you look closer, as Dr. Frank Albo did in 2002, you’ll discover a series of seemingly unusual architectural elements. After ten years of painstaking research, Dr. Frank Albo revealed the building to be a cleverly disguised pagan temple, chock full of arcane symbols and ancient clues.

In this virtual tour, the celebrated architectural historian explains some of the most noteworthy aspects of the Manitoba legislative building, including the symbolic front pediment, the grand staircase hall, the golden boy/Hermes statue and the Pool of the Black Star.
Video Link

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 6:29 AM

Edmonton is interesting. For a city it's size it doesn't really have an iconic building, at least visually. In terms of sheer fame (or infamy, perhaps), the most famous building in the city is easily is West Edmonton Mall, but if you saw a photo of the exterior chances are you would have no clue what building it was (unless you're like me and your childhood vacations always included driving down the street and seeing the half-dome at the back left in the photo appear through the trees).

http://www.hlskc.com/West-Edmonton-Mall-]Outside/

Another good option for Edmonton would be the Hotel Macdonald. It's not as visually striking as the Bessborough in Saskatoon due to the buildup surrounding it, but it's definitely noticeable in any photo of downtown from across the river.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...d_Edmonton.jpg

Finally, and this might be a sore spot for Edmontonians, but Canada Place stands out for all the wrong reasons.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Canada/Al..._MG_8156-S.jpg

Of course, there's also the buildings that will be iconic in the future, starting with Rogers Place.

http://www.rogersplace.com/weekly-blog-playoff-wrap-up/

Then there's also the one-two punch of the Marriot Hotel and Stantec Tower, which already dominate the skyline even though they aren't finished yet. The Stantec in particular is going to be the most striking building downtown for many years when it's done.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/new-high...nton-1.3941861

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 3:52 PM

I'll add this for Markham. It's the Hilton, which used to be the Embassy Suites. It was a big deal locally when built back in the early 90s. It was big, beautiful and stood out. Now it's surrounded by other buildings. The Cutting Edge starring DB Sweeney was filmed there for its impressive lobby.

Markham city hall is across the street, which was also impressive at the time. But for people of a certain age, the hotel stood out way more and would have been considered iconic back then for the locals.

https://georgelimo.ca/fun-things-to-...m-ontario.html

http://www.volunteermarkham.ca/about.html

Last edited by megadude; Jan 5, 2021 at 3:17 PM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 4:07 PM

For Burlington it's not a building but rather a pier. A short pier that cost $14.4m to build. Iconic for locals but also infamous due to the problems that plagued its construction.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/26156338@N07/15880728305

https://abetterburlington.ca/officia...n-6-to-1-vote/

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 4:07 PM
Midtowner since 2K

I can see the Markham example above being notable in the nineties. The city hall looks pretty cool actually....I wouldn't mind exploring that area.

That Hilton may look rather unimpressive to some, but I think it's a very unified and fair design. The lobby is likely much more of a central focus for the building.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 6:00 PM
Rational urbanist

For Vancouver, my first thought was Harbour Centre. It's probably the most frequently featured in postcards, magnets, silhouette drawings, etc. But someone mentioned Canada Place, and I think that might be a possibility as well. It's hard to come up with these for your own cities, because things that might be locally iconic may not be close to it elsewhere. Like Science World, BC Place, etc.

In Winnipeg, I'd say it's the human rights museum, which is hard for me cause I think it's just brutally ugly.

Other cities I can think of iconic buildings for:
Calgary: Saddledome
Toronto: CN Tower
Ottawa: Parliament

No other cities really have one strong icon that stands out over the rest to me.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 6:34 PM

I think there is a distinction between what residents vs. other Canadians see as the most iconic building in the city. For most Canadians it might be one or two buildings if any that stand out in their mind as iconic. Here's my perception combined with what I think would be a BC viewpoint:

Victoria: Parliament buildings or Empress hotel. Perhaps the whole inner harbour in general?

Perception by Irish Fernandez, on Flickr

Pano-Victoria from the Rock by Cameron Knowlton, on Flickr

Those are all I can see non-Victorians being aware of, locally iconic there's a bunch more including the new Johnson street bridge, Hatley Castle (X-Men and others have filmed here so it would at least be recognizable by some although unlikely to know it was in Victoria), Craigdarroch Castle, the pink Custom House, Christ Church cathedral, yadda yadda.

One that should be up there nationally, is the gates to Canada's oldest chinatown:

The Gates of Harmonious Interest, Chinatown, Victoria by Jim, on Flickr

Vancouver: Lions Gate Bridge, BC Place, Canada Place

Edmonton: Rogers Place - the tv coverage helps for recognition. Provincial Legislature

Calgary: Saddledome (the Rogers Place of its era - definitely iconic. Makes me wonder if stadiums lose their iconic status after a few decades though) and Calgary tower. The Bow for those who have visited in person.

Regina: Provincial Legislature and the twin office buildings

Saskatoon: For BC, or Victoria at least, this city is totally off the mental awareness map. Regina stands out because of the football team, provinicial capital, there are reasons to travel there from Victoria - but there is no real connection at all to Saskatoon. If you ask most people about it - word association, they would say "berries". Despite being a beautiful city there is no awareness - no one goes there for a holiday and the economy is not linked at all to the island economy. Some would be able to place the Delta CN Hotel.

Winnipeg - great pictures previously shared in this thread, so many interesting buildings!

Despite being further away, much greater awareness of Winnipeg in Victoria, helps being a larger city. The Human Rights Museum for sure, followed by the legislature. Lesser known would be the Forks Bridge, Fort Garry.

Toronto: CN tower, Blue Jays stadium (whatever the corporate name is now).

Montreal: Habitat 67, Notre-Dame, and Olympic Stadium. Montreal has so many great historical buildings that they tend to get lost in the crowd, like Toronto so many high rises that would be icons in 95% of all other cities, but don't even raise an eyebrow in their city.

Saint John! Yes Saint John, visited there for the first time this spring, what an amazing city (skyline shots do it no justice) - would put it in my top 5 of all Canadian cities. It has to be Trinity Church as someone else previously mentioned - it's magical and draws in. A smaller church perched on a small hill, you're drawn to it like a magnet - so inviting.

Halifax: Purdy's Wharf - they are looking dated now, but they do stand out on the water, so very recognizable. Clock tower - that would not be remotely iconic for people who haven't been to the city and don't recognize it's significance.

St. John's: No building stands out, other than the overall image of the harbour, the colourful houses and the houses hugging the rocks. I think it has a strong overall iconic image out here, but more a case of the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Edit: oh yah, Ottawa! Well, obviously there is just one, but again lots of great historic buildings that in a smaller city would be stars.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomer View Post
I think there is a distinction between what residents vs. other Canadians see as the most iconic building in the city. For most Canadians it might be one or two buildings if any that stand out in their mind as iconic. Here's my perception combined with what I think would be a BC viewpoint:

Vancouver: Lions Gate Bridge, BC Place, Canada Place
I'd be worth adding Science World and maybe even the Hotel Vancouver to that list IMHO.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 7:23 PM

Yah, I forgot Science World - I'd agree with that. But not so much the Hotel Vancouver - it absolutely was before the 1980s, but now it's not visible and who goes there to walk around or take pictures? I doubt it makes the top ten list of must see man-made sights in Vancouver although it's a great living piece of history.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 7:33 PM
Volatile Pacivist

A lot of Canadians I've encountered don't even know anything about cities they've never visited or lived in other than vague "Vancouver is rainy, Calgary is by the Rockies" type stuff. In terms of landmarks, the only things I'd expect the average non-local to recognizing are the house of commons, CN Tower, Skydome, and Chateau Frontenac. Beyond that, people either have some familiarity with the city, or is an above average, non-typical person. And even then there's no guarantee. I still remember the time at work when a couple of co-workers who seemed like pretty average guys were looking at a magazine cover that showed a Shanghai skyline image that prominently featured the Oriental Pearl tower, and one was like, oh there's the CN Tower! Must be something about Toronto. They actually had to start reading the article before they caught on.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 7:36 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
A lot of Canadians I've encountered don't even know anything about cities they've never visited or lived in other than vague "Vancouver is rainy, Calgary is by the Rockies" type stuff. In terms of landmarks, the only things I'd expect the average non-local to recognizing are the house of commons, CN Tower, Skydome, and Chateau Frontenac. Beyond that, people either have some familiarity with the city, or is an above average, non-typical person. And even then there's no guarantee. I still remember the time at work when a couple of co-workers who seemed like pretty average guys were looking at a magazine cover that showed a Shanghai skyline image that prominently featured the Oriental Pearl tower, and one was like, oh there's the CN Tower! Must be something about Toronto. They actually had to start reading the article before they caught on.
I agree with this. People interested in things always overestimate how much people not interested in those things know about them.

For example, I'd actually assume that many of my friends wouldn't recognize Skydome, and even I can't picture the Chateau Frontenac.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada