HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post

In Winnipeg, I'd say it's the human rights museum, which is hard for me cause I think it's just brutally ugly.
I really love the building because it's unique and its interesting and different from every angle . Have you been for a visit? I know lots of people who have changed their opinion once they toured the museum.

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 8:10 PM
ARTchitecture

The Bow, likely soon to be supplanted by Telus Sky and it's instantly iconic "Northern Lights" LED public art installation.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 8:11 PM

The Building - Toronto City Hall
Quote:
Monocle Films
Published on Jan 28, 2015
Take a look inside Toronto's iconic City Hall and discover how its creation almost 50 years ago signalled the start of a modern metropolis.
Video Link

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 8:12 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
I really love the building because it's unique and its interesting and different from every angle . Have you been for a visit? I know lots of people who have changed their opinion once they toured the museum.
Yeah, I've been inside. I thought the indoor architecture was gorgeous, but found the actual content to be just okay.

But the exterior, I don't know there's just something off about it. To me, it's the visual equivalent of hearing a chord with one of the notes being wrong. It throws the skyline out of balance for me.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 8:31 PM

That pretty much is how I feel about it as well, I also heard the content was a little boring. I admit though I have never seen it in person.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 8:54 PM

It's interesting, but I can't help feeling that I don't quite get it.

I'm sure there's some high-level artistic justification for the CMHR's architecture but I don't understand what it's supposed to "mean".

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 8:56 PM

On another note, I've heard the Manitoba Legislature described as one of the most "architecturally perfect" buildings in Canada. The architects certainly paid very close attention to detail in ways that are maybe a bit more accessible to the layperson than the CMHR.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 11:02 PM

The human rights museum is something that has to be seen. It’s really almost more of a human library than a museum, where hundreds of people’s stories are told. In the genocide gallery there are countless interviews with different Canadians and they share their stories, it’s horrific what some people have survived. But the architecture transcends those horrors and makes us marvel at what people can accomplish when they work together. The complexity of the steel, the weightlessness of the stone, the vastness of its interior, all combine to create wonder. The gorgeous alabaster ramps are unlike anything in the world, a black canyon of glowing beams, it’s truly amazing. The spaces are massive and the stairs to the top are dizzying. It’s something all Canadians should be proud of.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 11:22 PM

For St. John's, I'd say it used to be the collection of colourful buildings, but now it might be "The Rooms".

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28023748@N07/4921538549

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 11:35 PM

I've haven't been to the Canadian Museum of Human Rights yet, but I plan on visiting when we go to Winnipeg during the labour day weekend.

Personally, I like the design. A unique piece of architecture, in a location a little removed from the traditional downtown.

My only criticism is the its relationship between the Tower of Hope and the Esplanade Riel mast. The two are about the same shape, size and height which causes them to sort of cancel each other out, making each a little less special.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 2:48 AM

When is the visual assault trial for "the rooms"? It's a shame as it cheapens the rest of the skyline.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
The Building - Toronto City Hall

Video Link
In the 50s, the City teamed up with some of the Toronto's biggest architecture firm and they came up with the proposal below. In December 1955, citizens voted against it. In 1956, council decided to hold an international competition.

http://spacing.ca/toronto/2016/06/17...nded-st-clair/

I'd say Toronto dodged a bullet. Not that the proposal was terrible, but it was extremely mediocre. What came of the competition, Revell's design, truly is a unique icon.

EDIT: here's a link to the City of Toronto website, showing the other competition entries. One looks a lot like Boston's City Hall. A lot of square or rectangular boxes and one that looks... Asian? Best design won, hands down!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
On another note, I've heard the Manitoba Legislature described as one of the most "architecturally perfect" buildings in Canada. The architects certainly paid very close attention to detail in ways that are maybe a bit more accessible to the layperson than the CMHR.
I absolutely agree. The MB Leg reminds me of the neoclassical government buildings in the States with their subtle Masonic references.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 3:11 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I absolutely agree. The MB Leg reminds me of the neoclassical government buildings in the States with their subtle Masonic references.
I find all 3 Prairie legislative buildings similar in style (and similar to some of the American State buildings); they're probably the 3 most comparable legislature/parliament buildings in Canada. However, Manitoba's does seem to go further than the other 2 with the Masonic references.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
For Vancouver, my first thought was Harbour Centre. It's probably the most frequently featured in postcards, magnets, silhouette drawings, etc. But someone mentioned Canada Place, and I think that might be a possibility as well. It's hard to come up with these for your own cities, because things that might be locally iconic may not be close to it elsewhere. Like Science World, BC Place, etc.

In Winnipeg, I'd say it's the human rights museum, which is hard for me cause I think it's just brutally ugly.

Other cities I can think of iconic buildings for:
Calgary: Saddledome
Toronto: CN Tower
Ottawa: Parliament

No other cities really have one strong icon that stands out over the rest to me.
For Vancouver I'd say, undoubtedly it is Canada Place.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Everything in the MB Legislature has meaning. In the architects owns words, 'nothing is placed by ornament, it's all done according to the will of my designs'.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
In the 50s, the City teamed up with some of the Toronto's biggest architecture firm and they came up with the proposal below. In December 1955, citizens voted against it. In 1956, council decided to hold an international competition.

I'd say Toronto dodged a bullet. Not that the proposal was terrible, but it was extremely mediocre. What came of the competition, Revell's design, truly is a unique icon.

EDIT: here's a link to the City of Toronto website, showing the other competition entries. One looks a lot like Boston's City Hall. A lot of square or rectangular boxes and one that looks... Asian? Best design won, hands down!
Toronto City Hall is remarkable in how it was built over 60 years ago but at the same time you could tell someone it was built 5 years ago and they'd likely believe you.

The green roof is a neat aspect, and pretty cool how easily the building was able to adapt a modern trend. How many city halls have a park on them?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 1:19 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomer View Post
I think there is a distinction between what residents vs. other Canadians see as the most iconic building in the city. .
This is a really good point. More often than not the views of the two (residents vs. non-residents) will conflate but often they do not.

For example, the Jacques-Cartier Bridge has not been mentioned yet for Montreal, and I don't just think it's because it's not a "building".

I find that outside Montreal and also outside Quebec, it's not very recognized but in Montreal and the province it's very much a symbol of the city. Probably equal to the Big O and the cross on Mount Royal.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post

http://spacing.ca/toronto/2016/06/17...nded-st-clair/

This looks a lot like the Imperial Oil Building. Same architect?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
This looks a lot like the Imperial Oil Building. Same architect?
Same architect, same building - Imperial Oil bought the design after the city rejected it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada