HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Middle East & Africa

Old Posted Jan 10, 2007, 6:10 PM
Guess Who's Back?

I think so, I'll get confirmation either late tonight (U.K. time) or tomorrow morning. BD besix site office opens at 07:00 UAE time, and I usually get height and level confirmation a couple of hours after that!
UAE, is 4 hours behind me.
From memory the next set of mech floors were from levels 105-108, that take about 5 days per floor to construct; but I will also check if this is right.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 2:09 AM
Proudly Canadian

Hi all.
Hey Skytower, old buddy, old pal ... How about scanning/posting that National Geographic article. Heard about it a few months ago - they usually have bitchin pics ...
Like your contributions man but no woman - childbearing - eww

you weren't at WAC forums years ago were you ? - Skymissile. Anyway that forum is like a time capsule - some early burj threads, etc

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 3:40 AM
Guess Who's Back?

Hey my Furious friend, how's it hangin dude?

Sorry to disappoint but my fetish for all things Dubai is much more recent that the WAC forums you talk of......maybe Skymissile was a second cousin or great uncle or something, but in the words of Eminem....

I'm Sky Tower, yes I'm the Sky Tower baby,
All you other Slim Towers are just imitating,
So will the real Sky Tower please stand up....please stand up!

Come on....sing along...you all know the words....

Anyway, here's the National Geographic link you wanted...

http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/n...re3/index.html

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 4:01 AM
`

Jan.10:

delahaye

Last edited by Slugbelch; Jan 15, 2007 at 2:52 PM. Reason: +pic

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 1:14 PM
`

JAN. 11:

muoguei/oinster

DORMA in the Burj Dubai: major order jointly won with Hafele for the world's tallest building

United Arab Emirates: 1 hour, 5 minutes ago
PRESS RELEASE

DORMA, international supplier of products and systems circling the door, has together with its distributor Hafele received an order covering the supply of products for what is destined to be the world's tallest building, the Burj Dubai.

The total contract value amounts to US$ 6.5 million. (approx. € 5 million) and the various sales agreements between DORMA and the client Emaar Properties PJSC, Dubai, provide for the supply of a range of items including door closers, panic exit devices and lever handles for the skyscraper now under construction. Also selected was a special bespoke door lever handle, to be supplied by DORMA subsidiary OGRO of Velbert/Germany, which was originally designed and applied for the local Armani Hotel.

'At over 700 meters, Burj Dubai will not only be the tallest building in the world but also one of the biggest projects in DORMA's history,' commented a delighted DORMA CEO, Dr. Michael Schadlich.

So far the building has reached 'a mere' 330 meters, corresponding to its 95th floor. 'As negotiations are ongoing with respect to other areas of the building, we hope that DORMA will be able to win a number of further contracts,' said an optimistic Dr. Schadlich.

DORMA was able to beat off some very strong competition to obtain this first batch of orders for the prestigious project, an achievement that further underlines its credentials as a single-source supplier of products, systems and services. DORMA also offers the significant benefits of an international network of subsidiaries offering essential expertise at the local level.

Last edited by Slugbelch; Feb 8, 2007 at 10:44 PM. Reason: +Jan 11 pic

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 1:17 PM
`

Jan. 10:
Original:

explosivo/cramer

Last edited by Slugbelch; Jan 31, 2007 at 2:12 AM. Reason: + top pic

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 1:30 PM
Guess Who's Back?

Thanks for the newly added Dec 4th pics , they deserved better to be added here too rather then left on a previous page!

Some older but yet unposted pics....

Al Marooj Rotana with the Burj Dubai

11th Nov - Millenium Tower

Brian McMorrow

Last edited by Sky Tower; Jan 11, 2007 at 2:43 PM. Reason: pics added

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 1:49 PM
`

Actually, they are one the top of the previous page to date the page more accurately... for our visitors , newbies, and to help fill up the previous page with nice pics!

I am really hoping for some pics to show up soon that are from today or yesterday so we can have the most up-to-date thread page around. As well as the most chuck-full-of-photos previous page. Check out 2 pages ago, it is jam packed!
But for you... anything my friend!

JAN. 11:

zehra

Taken by Sky Tower Jan. 11:

ddp

Last edited by Slugbelch; Feb 5, 2007 at 10:43 PM. Reason: +Jan 11 pic

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 2:25 PM
Information Age

Wow, yesterday I had no time to visit SSP...
I just relized now, how much updates that really is comming
here everyday!! I didn't realized it before
because It was normal for me to think
"hmm let's see today's BD updates at SSP..."
I am very glad you guys still share great updates! Thanks!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 10:35 AM
Born and raised

Where's the freakin glass, how do you build a building to that height without the glass.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 4:27 PM
Don't fall asleep!

How many floors are we up to now? There hasn't been that many updates in a while..

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 3:49 AM
`

^ Welcome. Just check out the last 3 or 4 pages and get up to speed because this thing is movin' on up.

JAN. 12:

imanan/stepnout/batschler

Last edited by Slugbelch; Feb 1, 2007 at 6:26 PM. Reason: +Jan 12 top pic

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 10:10 PM
Dubai goes Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhornst View Post
How many floors are we up to now? There hasn't been that many updates in a while..
105F

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 2:03 PM
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsquelch
Taken by Sky Tower Jan. 11:
I wish I did!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 9:53 PM
`

^Won't be long now.

JAN. 14:

parkes2007/sooosas

Well, what a surprise, Doka updates (after 5 months?):

Kinda wish Doka would have given us some unique shots only Doka could provide, like in the past, instead of shots we could have taken. One looks like Altins' location and one looks like Imres' location.

But, at least, we know they are still updating the website.

Last edited by Slugbelch; Feb 9, 2007 at 12:38 AM. Reason: +Jan 14 pic

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 10:57 PM
World Machine

What is the deal with the facade? Are we going to see another North Korea Hotel again. It's really pecurliar. The tower is moving quite fast though. Good shots slugbelch!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 3:48 AM
Guess Who's Back?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 12:40 PM
`

*Exclusive* January 16 construction update on Sky Towers DubaiMegaProjects website:

http://www.dubaimegaprojects.com/

Some very intersting news for all to check out. Give him some hits and check it out!

It doesn't sound like "flimsy" information and more rumors, but good and reliable confirmation substantiated.

Also today from the press (and a view from the 100th floor):

Emaar's Burj Dubai is now 100 storeys high

The board of directors of Emaar Properties celebrate the completion of 100 storeys of Burj Dubai. Seen are: (front row - from left): Dr Lowai Belhoul; Mohammed I. Al Shaibani; Ahmed J. Jawa and Hussein Al Qemzi; (back row - from left): Ahmad Al Matrooshi; the designer of Burj Dubai, Adrian Smith; Mohamed Ali Alabbar, Chairman, Emaar Properties; and Majed Saif Al Ghurair.

Burj Dubai, the iconic tower being built by Emaar Properties, has joined the league of only six super-tall buildings in the world that are 100 or more storeys high.

On its way to becoming the world's tallest tower, Burj Dubai is now 347.3 metres high.

Sears Tower in Chicago (110 floors), Ryugyong Hotel in North Korea (105), Empire State Building, New York (102), Taipei 101 (101) and John Hancock Centre, Chicago (100) are the only other structures in the world that are currently at 100 storeys or more.

Emaar celebrated the momentous occasion with a special visit to the 100th floor by Emaar Properties Chairman Mr Mohamed Ali Alabbar; the company's Board of Directors and the designer of Burj Dubai, Mr Adrian Smith.

'Emaar is starting the New Year with a new milestone,' said Mr Alabbar. 'As one of only six super-tall structures in the world with 100 storeys or more, Burj Dubai is already an international landmark. The global attention on Burj Dubai is indeed a spotlight on Dubai. The tower is a symbol of the city's pride and a statement of our arrival on the global scene as one of the world-class cities.'

At 347.3 metres, Burj Dubai is one of only 38 structures in the world that are 300 metres or more high. It is now higher than three other super-tall structures in the region - the Burj Al Arab (321 metres), Emirates Towers Hotel (309 metres) and Kingdom Centre, Saudi Arabia (302 metres). Currently, only Emirates Office Tower (355 metres) is taller than Burj Dubai in the Middle East region.

To date, 242,000 cubic metres of reinforced concrete and 46,000 tonnes of reinforcing steel have been used in the construction of Burj Dubai. The reinforced concrete needed to build Burj Dubai is estimated to be equivalent to a sidewalk 1,900 km long.

The construction of 100 levels was completed in 1,093 days since excavation work started in January, 2004. Work is on schedule with one new level added every three days. Over 3,000 workers are currently employed at the Burj Dubai site. Ten cranes and the world's fastest high-capacity construction hoists - with a speed of up to 2 m/sec (120 m/min) - are used to move men and material.

Burj Dubai is a designated freehold area where investors from across the world can own a home or office in what will be 'The Address' in Dubai. Investor response from across the world to the sale of apartments and commercial spaces at Burj Dubai has been overwhelming.

Burj Dubai is part of the AED 73 billion (US$20 billion) Downtown Burj Dubai mixed-use project, and will have residences, commercial spaces and recreational facilities apart from the Armani Hotel Dubai, a luxury hotel developed by Emaar in association with haute couture major Giorgio Armani S.p.A.

When completed, Burj Dubai will be the tallest building in the world, fulfilling all the criteria of the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH), which compiles and ranks the world's tallest buildings. CTBUH ranks buildings on the basis of spire height, the highest occupied floor, roof height and pinnacle height.

Designed by Chicago-based Skidmore, Owings & Merrill (SOM), Burj Dubai is constructed by high-rise experts South Korea's Samsung Corporation. Turner Construction International is the project and construction manager.

Last edited by Slugbelch; Jan 17, 2007 at 3:58 PM. Reason: updated pic

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 4:53 PM

From "Dubai Megaprojects"

From "Dubai Megaprojects":

"According to the developers, it will be the tallest building on earth. However at the end of June 2006 a height of 2650ft (807.7m) has been made public by some of the firms involved in this project.

Since the first groundbraking around the site on September 21st 2004, there have been many un-official changes in the towers final height by those working closely to the project.

Recently it has been confirmed to have been 808m in May 2005, but again it's thought to have been redisigned from many new sources, from the steel structure upwards, again raising the final height and again under great secrecy!

- Observation decks will be located on the 142nd and 143rd floors at a height of 537m.

- Scheduled to be opened in June 2009 (revised Dec 24th 2006).

- Will have the fastest elevators in the world with a speed of 700m/min (42.3 kmh / 26.1 mph).

- Soon to be the undisputed tallest structure ever built, in every catagory, by a huge margin!

- Latest official sources suggest the 5th (maybe not the last) tower re-design has been quoted to have a final build height of 1011m+"

(I added the emphasis)

The site also talks of supplemental lateral underground bracing - to allow for the additional height perhaps?

This is all pretty amazing - I stayed at the Dusit Hotel on my last visit a couple of years ago. My room was pretty high up and faced the Burj site - almost nothing was showing on that site back then.

Last edited by MikeM; Jan 16, 2007 at 6:22 PM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 5:32 PM
Guess Who's Back?

Mmm, it's making the Dusit Hotel look like half a McDonalds arch now rather than a hotel.....metaphorically speaking of course!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Middle East & Africa