HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 4:52 PM

^^^ I am torn between agreeing with Ardcelia that IF McCaffery actually gets these tenants into RC then he will have done his job and also remaining a skeptic until I actually see something open in that building. Developers keep announcing new tenants for the retail white elephants like B37 and RC and yet no construction actually commences on the properties.

So until RC is a bustling retail environment I say "I'll believe it when I see it"...

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
I defiantly favor Justins plan and do everything we can to advance that idea. Thanks for attending and contributing.
Yeah, I didn't realize until just now that he was talking about the tracks NORTH of Roosevelt, not the skinny little section by OMP. For some reason I thought that's what he was proposing at first and thought "yeah, good idea, but kinda way too skinny". Now that I got my head out of my ass I agree that this is the best site. I just hope they don't try to do any neo-traditional garbage should we actually steal the museum from SF. Hopefully they can commission someone like Ronan or K+S to create a kickass addition to our museum campus!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 4:55 PM

The Polk pedestrian experience could certainly be improved. I'm hoping it gets a little better with the AMLI Lofts project, but that won't move the barriers from in front of Folio.

I think the south loop, which I tend to defend just because I live there (Stockholm syndrome maybe), could be an example of how things can go wrong when development is left up to a few megaprojects of huge parcels being traded at once. Compare that to the other neighborhoods which are made mostly of subdivisions of blocks where multiple stakeholders vie for the same streetfront. Those are the neighborhoods that feel like they have character.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 6:29 PM

Appears they might be doing soil testing at State/Harrison large parking lot? Anyone know of anything?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 7:02 PM
Content provider

Tribune

New Chicago high school to be named for President Obama
A new selective enrollment high school named after President Barack Obama will be built near the former site of the Cabrini-Green public housing complex, Mayor Rahm Emanuel announced today

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 7:16 PM

I wonder if they would still put in that skate park if they build the museum over the metra tracks? Would it need to use the land next to the tracks, or just cover the tracks? I was looking forward to the skate park, but a new museum would be a fair trade off.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 8:47 PM

After reviewing both maps, I think you can fit a museum the size of the Field in the North/South direction (versus East/West) over the metra tracks and still have the skatepark nicely positioned on the left. Or you can move the skatepark to the East of Columbus Drive.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mu...c18af1cebbdf3e

http://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/2...rade/image-33/

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 9:27 PM

Per Curbed, a super dense SRO is planned for Logan square just north of Milwaukee on California. It is to have 66 units and NO parking. This reminds me of the development proposed on that weird triangular lot on Haddon down by Polish Triangle. Don't know how I feel about the mint, but oh well:

http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...ntsize-9px.php

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 9:44 PM

^ I like the location of the one in Logan Square. That area seems to be booming with new business. Now some housing is coming. It does say it would be an SRO, but operate as a normal apartment complex. The building currently there is a carwash and this building would only get 10 parking spaces. Nice density right there. The color in that render is a little weird, I agree.

Here's the building in context. Nice fit for the area it seems - better than a fucking carwash.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 9:55 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcchii View Post
Tribune

New Chicago high school to be named for President Obama
A new selective enrollment high school named after President Barack Obama will be built near the former site of the Cabrini-Green public housing complex, Mayor Rahm Emanuel announced today
Yeesh. This along with an undeserved library.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 10:50 PM

Not to get into politics, but every president gets a library. It's not a "Gosh Aint Obama Great" Library, it's a "Well He's A President And Presidents Get Libraries So Here's The Obama Library" Library.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloop.chi View Post
Appears they might be doing soil testing at State/Harrison large parking lot? Anyone know of anything?
I noticed this today as well. Definitely a core sample rig.

I shall noticed yesterday that they had a couple excavators working at 1345 Wabash, which has long been a partially-dug hole. Does anyone know what's going on here?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 11:11 PM

^That lot used to be owned by the YMCA, who intended to build a new world HQ there many years ago but never got around to it. A couple years ago it was bought by its current owners, a holding company that's known to buy up promising lots and hold on to them until their values increase. There's been "lot for sale" signs up since then.

I haven't heard anything about who might be interested in it, but it's quite an opportunity.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 11:52 PM
TL;DR

That teal color is a placeholder I think, unless they plan to do the roof in the same color!

I don't mind the color actually but the architect needs to choose a UV-resistant coating that won't fade and give us the Thompson Center Junior.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 12:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
Yeesh. This along with an undeserved library.
Don't worry. Hillary's will be here too.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daperpkazoo View Post
I noticed this today as well. Definitely a core sample rig.

I shall noticed yesterday that they had a couple excavators working at 1345 Wabash, which has long been a partially-dug hole. Does anyone know what's going on here?
The first major condo project in Chicago since the crash is breaking ground. They are adding a few pilings, but the majority of the foundation work was already completed before the crash brought this project to a halt:

http://www.1345wabash.com/

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ I like the location of the one in Logan Square. That area seems to be booming with new business. Now some housing is coming. It does say it would be an SRO, but operate as a normal apartment complex. The building currently there is a carwash and this building would only get 10 parking spaces. Nice density right there. The color in that render is a little weird, I agree.

Here's the building in context. Nice fit for the area it seems - better than a fucking carwash.

What does "SRO" entail? Only allowing one person per studio? Single residency occupancy right? Is that a zoning/planning acronym - or something developers throw around? And why would curbed say it would be "operated like a normal apartment building"......as opposed to what_______?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
What does "SRO" entail? Only allowing one person per studio? Single residency occupancy right? Is that a zoning/planning acronym - or something developers throw around? And why would curbed say it would be "operated like a normal apartment building"......as opposed to what_______?
In my experience - SRO is like a dorm with a common bathroom for the floor. Often catering to disability and indigent, offering weekly rates.

No kitchen I lived on microwave burritos from the gas station and canned food heated by running hot water over the can for 5 min (each room has a sink).

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
In my experience - SRO is like a dorm with a common bathroom for the floor. Often catering to disability and indigent, offering weekly rates.
Thanks Harry. That's exactly what I was thinking. Something like the YMCA in the Gold Coast/River North right? Interesting that in the rendering they would put a $50k Volvo XC90 and a $80k BMW 6 Series parked out front, by the residents presumably! Not quite the dormitory/bathroom sharing type of demographic I would think......?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 1:06 AM
The City

The 1345 S Wabash condo owners are screwed, no? I mean, their entire north facing view will be obliterated. What gets me is that CMK clearly knows this, but designed north facing balconies as such. This potentially says a lot about them as developers, and it doesn't send a good message

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development