HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
Speaking of changing the CFL schedule:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...nter-1.2434449
Interesting. Maybe the league figures that the diminished profile while the SC finals are going on (especially when a Canadian team is involved) would be more than offset by improved attendance for late-season games.

A two-week head start would make quite a difference... in Winnipeg, early November is still generally relatively mild fall weather, but by the end of the month you're pretty much fully into winter. That said, the weather at our two most recent Grey Cups (2006 and 1998) wasn't bad for that time of the year, but 1991 was hellaciously cold.

To bring it back on topic, a change in schedule to hold the Grey Cup in mid-November every year would only make it more compelling for teams to forgo the added expense of a dome for their new facilities.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 3:18 PM

I heard on he radio his morning that there is an roof-related announcement coming this week. Caught me off guard, that's for sure.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCA View Post
I heard on he radio his morning that there is an roof-related announcement coming this week. Caught me off guard, that's for sure.
Fingers crossed! IMO, they have to do it now to avoid an inevitable cost-prohibitive add-on later. All they need to do is look at the economic benefit of hosting this years Grey Cup and realize that the more often they can host it, and reap those economic benefits, the covered stadium will have paid for itself 10x over.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/...2013-grey-cup/

The Regina Regional Opportunities Commission (RROC) has compiled a study of the economic impact of the Grey Cup game and estimates that the event will bring $45 million to $50 million into the province and $30 million to $40 million to the Regina area.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drto View Post
Fingers crossed! IMO, they have to do it now to avoid an inevitable cost-prohibitive add-on later. All they need to do is look at the economic benefit of hosting this years Grey Cup and realize that the more often they can host it, and reap those economic benefits, the covered stadium will have paid for itself 10x over.

The Regina Regional Opportunities Commission (RROC) has compiled a study of the economic impact of the Grey Cup game and estimates that the event will bring $45 million to $50 million into the province and $30 million to $40 million to the Regina area.
I guarantee you that there will not be full roof, just a spectator roof. It is not just the capital cost ($100 million+) but also the operating cost including HVAC.

The Patel concept design would make a huge difference in this weather by blocking wind and trapping heat. It would make even more difference if it was a sunny afternoon game as Patel roof is designed to capture the sun's warmth in the fall.

Also didn't someone say the economic impact was $123 million. It just shows you how these numbers are pretty much made up.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 5:12 PM

Quote:
What station??

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 5:47 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina Boi View Post
What station??
I just got a text back from a senior Rider executive (close family friend), his response: "A dome isn't happening. Can't afford to build or maintain it!" So don't get too excited.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina Boi View Post
I just got a text back from a senior Rider executive (close family friend), his response: "A dome isn't happening. Can't afford to build or maintain it!" So don't get too excited.
Ray Morrison said it on rock 102.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Ray Morrison said it on rock 102.
Hmmm, well maybe I'm being played. What I was told seemed pretty legit.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 6:09 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I guarantee you that there will not be full roof, just a spectator roof. It is not just the capital cost ($100 million+) but also the operating cost including HVAC.
Well they could offset some of the op costs by selling Stadium tours (like the new Cowboys/At&T Stadium does) especially if they had a Rider museum built into it somehow and put solar panels on the roof and maybe some other renewable energy capture devices in place (geothermal, wind).
Sounds crazy maybe, but the Riders should figure out ways that you can do it as opposed to giving excuses as to why they can't!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 6:21 PM

This is a completely random thought that probably wouldn't be feasible ( or someone would have done so already) but since they always talk about the wind in Regina being such a factor with the weather, why not clad portions of the outside of the stadium with the same type of kinetic fans that were used here in Calgary on the 4th St underpass?

http://www.calgarymlc.ca/underpass

The "canopy also houses a unique kinetic artwork installation. Within a galvanized metal armature are hundreds of aluminum fans fastened to pivots that allow each fin to move with the motion of the wind or a passing train and allow light to penetrate the space below"

Each movement of these fans could generate a small amount of energy that could at least power accessory lighting or generate heating/cooling mechanisms. Add together 1000's of these over a significant area and you might get a positive result, both from an energy perspective as well as an artistic element.

Or maybe not!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 6:27 PM
Hmm....

Quote:

The Patel concept design would make a huge difference in this weather by blocking wind and trapping heat. It would make even more difference if it was a sunny afternoon game as Patel roof is designed to capture the sun's warmth in the fall.

Also didn't someone say the economic impact was $123 million. It just shows you how these numbers are pretty much made up.
Take a look at the date of that article... Things may have changed a bit in 2 years... especially considering the appearance of a certain team.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Well they could offset some of the op costs by selling Stadium tours (like the new Cowboys/At&T Stadium does) especially if they had a Rider museum built into it somehow and put solar panels on the roof and maybe some other renewable energy capture devices in place (geothermal, wind).
Sounds crazy maybe, but the Riders should figure out ways that you can do it as opposed to giving excuses as to why they can't!
I always thought they should use solar heating / geo thermal to have radient heating in the floors where your feet go, also heating the slab under the field. Even if it is an open roof if your feet are warm you are golden! Then no roof required! Other then the spectator roof to capture the heat that is generated from the floors. Have it like BC place stadium closed in 360 but with the opening in the roof (just not closeable)

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 6:59 PM

Quote:

Thats the thing I think a lot of people don't take into consideration when it comes down to having a good stadium. Over the life of the stadium it can make a big difference being awarded the Grey Cup once every 5 years instead of once of every 10. Just look at how many times Vancouver has been awarded the Grey Cup since we got BC Place far more than any city. In fact Vancouver is hosting the Grey Cup next again in 2014 after hosting it as recently as 2011. And if there is any place you could play the game outside at this time of year it's here.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
I always thought they should use solar heating / geo thermal to have radient heating in the floors where your feet go, also heating the slab under the field. Even if it is an open roof if your feet are warm you are golden! Then no roof required! Other then the spectator roof to capture the heat that is generated from the floors. Have it like BC place stadium closed in 360 but with the opening in the roof (just not closeable)
Sounds simple but geothermal/radiant has a massive capital cost (lower operating cost), especially for a stadium that would obliterate the budget.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 7:24 PM

Quote:

I think it would be a mistake not to build something that isn't roof ready at some point in the future. Maybe you don't need a roof today but who knows what the future will hold even 10 years from now. The life of a stadium is generally expected to be 30 plus years who knows in 10 years from now we could be in global cooling.

Thats a figure you often see quoted in the media for the economic benefit of hosting the Grey Cup usually over $100 million. When we hosted the GC in Vancouver in 2011 I remember reading lots of storiess of how the GC would generate over $118 million in economic benefits to the Vancouver area.

For one it's somebodies best guesstimate and two it's really a GROSS figure which doesn't take into account business you would have done anyways even if you hadn't hosted the GC. I remember reading an announcement a few months after the GC here in 2011 from the Vancouver Board of Trade who I think who would know better than anybody. Of a NET benefit something similar to that $30 - $40 million figure. Which is still a lot of money for a week long event even for large city like Vancouver.

While I'm sure everyone in Saskatchewan is happy the Riders are in the GC I think they will be hurt a little from out of province visitors because of that. The fact that the Vanier Cup is not being played in Regina this year will also take away something as well. But overall I would still expect the economic impact for Regina and the province to be quite good.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Sounds simple but geothermal/radiant has a massive capital cost (lower operating cost), especially for a stadium that would obliterate the budget.
True, but once your set-up the cost is essentially independent on exterior fuel for heating. Recirculating pumps would be your operating cost. Plus some maintenance and labour costs. Also once a roof goes on you don't have to worry about adding much mechanical as it would already be there.

I would be curious to see the cost of a system like that. My guess is $25-30M for installation and equipment. But over a 50-75 year lifespan would more than pay for itself. Especially with increased capacity during winter months.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 4:21 PM

Meh, get some garden hose put it in the specialty rock under the turf, put some glycol and water mix with multiple heated tanks and pumps to circulate. Makes sense right?

No it doesn't, not with an open roof. With a sheltered roof to block wind it will be comfortable to spectate without the expense of in-floor heat.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a slab under the turf, it's multiple layers of specialty rock and sand and some other fairy dust.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 5:04 PM

The Grey Cup is becoming more and more lucrative. Even with a dome, Sask would not get it that much more often. Every team wants it. Especially with the two Domes, new facilities in Winnipeg, Ottawa and Hamilton.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2013, 7:32 PM

Slightly off-topic here; but, the Riders and Eskimos are on a Columbo episode of all things!!! (Depicted as the Stallions and the Elks respectively.) The team which they mainly focus on is the "Riders." (But filmed at Commonwealth Stadium.)

That movie-episode originally aired on November 22, 1992.

Took me by surprise!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
The Grey Cup is becoming more and more lucrative. Even with a dome, Sask would not get it that much more often. Every team wants it. Especially with the two Domes, new facilities in Winnipeg, Ottawa and Hamilton.
They should put the Grey Cup game on Rotation, each city gets it year after year. 9 years 9 different cities. And by the time it comes back to Regina, there is suppose to be what another 1500 hotel rooms? Maybe more? I feel Domes shouldn't be the factor. As we proved here in SSK (Although we may be the exception)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan