HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 30, 2018, 10:18 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Meh, Denise Balkisoon is a dumba$$. There have been plenty of articles the other way but we in Toronto are not trolling the web with those articles (even some prominent Montrealers say Toronto is better, whether it's their most famous chef or most famous director). Why? Because we know Toronto wipes the floor with Montreal, in every way Quebecers (in particular Montreal chauvinists) need to quit obsessing and hating on Toronto, we don't even think about you, we're making our own moves baby!
I honestly thought people like you would cream their jeans because she said Montreal has more casual racism!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2018, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I honestly thought people like you would cream their jeans because she said Montreal has more casual racism!
I will happy the day Torontonians see that being religious is the issue and that calling antireligious people racists is ridiculous. Unfortunately, they are not there yet.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 12:02 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
It does, but who cares? I don't live there, so let them do as they please. It's the overt city vs city trolling against Toronto that pisses me off. Its one thing when someone as notoriously looney like her writes a clickbait article, its another thing when people who act sane share her trash on the internet like its an actual thing. Not getting your daily dose of attention lately? Well you've sure got it now! *facepalm*

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 12:45 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
It does, but who cares? I don't live there, so let them do as they please. It's the overt city vs city trolling against Toronto that pisses me off. Its one thing when someone as notoriously looney like her writes a clickbait article, its another thing when people who act sane share her trash on the internet like its an actual thing. Not getting your daily dose of attention lately? Well you've sure got it now! *facepalm*
It was an article from what is arguably the most reputable paper in the country, not The Rebel or something like that.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
I will happy the day Torontonians see that being religious is the issue and that calling antireligious people racists is ridiculous. Unfortunately, they are not there yet.
Is this particular one really a Toronto vs Montreal issue? I get that you resent Toronto, but not every issue has to be viewed through that lens.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Ten years ago Montréal was compared to Toronto as the aging woman against the young hot school girl. I would say that the old woman got much plastic surgery to be a hot cougar and the now young adult has gotten fat and wears fleece pants all day long.
Probably a better analogy is that the old lady finally got her hip replacement but still needs her knees and other hips to be worked on, while the young hot school girl became a trophy wife. The roles really haven’t changed otherwise.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 4:08 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
It was an article from what is arguably the most reputable paper in the country, not The Rebel or something like that.

All the same, it's not a particularly informative or interesting article. Montreal is more affordable and has less traffic and more bike lanes than Toronto? Who knew!

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 7:57 PM
video et taceo

I have honestly always found our English and French metropoli complementary. And their combined impression is a lot more cohesive than, say, Geneva and Zürich.

Hearts of the Canada.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 9:47 PM

Quote:
It was also just one person's opinion, so I'm puzzled by the reactions.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 2:41 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
It was also just one person's opinion, so I'm puzzled by the reactions.
Also, happily learning from good ideas others had before you is not a very common trait among Canadians. This applies all across the country BTW.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Is this particular one really a Toronto vs Montreal issue? I get that you resent Toronto, but not every issue has to be viewed through that lens.
I don't resent Toronto, I just don't get how not self-aware their residents are. "I'm glad to be screwed by my builder, it's not corruption, we're just a World class city".

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Probably a better analogy is that the old lady finally got her hip replacement but still needs her knees and other hips to be worked on, while the young hot school girl became a trophy wife. The roles really haven’t changed otherwise.
Oh the old lady has gotten everything fixed or financed now. From the stadium to highways to new metro lines.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 11:32 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
I don't resent Toronto, I just don't get how not self-aware their residents are. "I'm glad to be screwed by my builder, it's not corruption, we're just a World class city".
What are you talking about? We like our city, warts and all, that's why people from across Canada and around the world are clamouring to move here, and they certainly speak well of it. Sure, real estate is expensive right now, but that's what happens when there's a credit bubble and you're the biggest international city in the country. 48% of condo units are bought by investors, sure it's going to sting for a lot of people who bought at the top when prices crash, but in the process, a lot of development, infrastructure and density has been added. Due to that it really feels like a complete and thriving city, it didn't feel like that 10-15 years ago, when I was seriously thinking about moving to Chicago. The best part is it keeps on improving and will do so even after the downturn...the residential condo construction market is already giving way to the office highrise market so it will continue to improve one way or another. The fact is, many people live here, so we can afford to live here. Credit debt levels here aren't any different to the other big metros, and mortgages are fine because people have good salaries and a great variety of employment opportunities.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada