HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 9:01 PM

oh trust me, there will be complaints and petitions....if there is a man going to the media right now over the construction noise of Telus, there will be someone (or group) pissing and moaning over the airport noise, especially if there is any increase in air traffic or any other such thing that happens in a growing city...

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 9:04 PM

The Pinnacle at Capstan Village -
differs a lot from the renders on page 1 of this thread -
I wonder if the commercial components have been deleted (or if this is just around the back of the site?).
There's no project site plan at the website.

http://www.pinnacleinternational.ca/?page_id=1292

http://www.pinnacleinternational.ca/?page_id=1292

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 4:37 AM

Whats current status of Concord Garden?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 6:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sands View Post
Whats current status of Concord Garden?
Short answer, it's coming along. Both Concord and Pinnacle are well on their way through building the first buildings on their respective parts of the overall district.

I took a couple snapshots from SkyTrain way, way back in November, but it's better than nothing. I'll try to take a shot or two next time I'm going by.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 8:28 PM

Thanks!
That last shot looks like it could be on Burnaby Mountain.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
Short answer, it's coming along. Both Concord and Pinnacle are well on their way through building the first buildings on their respective parts of the overall district.

I took a couple snapshots from SkyTrain way, way back in November, but it's better than nothing. I'll try to take a shot or two next time I'm going by.

Thanks for the pics. Concord is selling their 2nd building closer to Garden City & Capstan Way. Their first one is sold out. Pinnacle only has a handful of units for the first 2 buildings when I checked out their presentation center during the summer. I imagine the area will get built out over the next 10 years or so as there are plans to install a new skytrain station on Capstan & NO 3 Road.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 4:05 AM

I took a few shots today:

Mods, perhaps the name of this thread could be changed to [Richmond] Capstan Station Precinct - Pinnacle Park Place & Concord Pacific Gardens?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 7:23 PM

Richmond's urban planning is a mess. There is no cohesion to the residential they're plopping down willy nilly. Basically there's now a long Kingsway-like stretch of midrises trailing down No. 3 Rd from Bridgeport to Granville. Not walkable, not compact and no focus. What a screw up.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 6:40 PM

I would disagree about the walkability - it's arguably the most urban, walkable area in Richmond - part along Number 3 Road, but it is pretty much a mish mash at this point. There are so many strip malls along Number 3 that it will take decades to replace them with coherent urban development, plus with no laneways, just about all of the site access is via curb cuts and driveways on Number 3. On weekends, when it seems like everyone in Richmond drives to go eat and shop along Number 3, the street is a parking lot. It's the only place in the region where I regularly see surface parking lots at shopping centres and strip malls full (as in Christmas rush full) on a regular basis on weekends.

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Feb 2, 2015 at 10:17 PM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 6:59 PM

On the contrary, I think No. 3 Road is the most walkable street in Richmond. It is even sheltered from the elements by the skytrain guideway, with proper landscaped boulevards to boot. The next step is to redevelop and densify Lansdowne mall.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 9:32 PM

Related article from this weekend, on the planned replacement of Lansdowne mall with a new street grid, high density development, and parkland:

http://www.richmond-news.com/news/bi...ntre-1.1748043

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
On the contrary, I think No. 3 Road is the most walkable street in Richmond. It is even sheltered from the elements by the skytrain guideway, with proper landscaped boulevards to boot. The next step is to redevelop and densify Lansdowne mall.
I agree in terms of walkability. There are many developers that see huge potential along the No 3 road similar the Cambie St in Vancouver because it's got skytrain going along it. There have been many older buildings being bought for potential development.

The PETCETERA building across from Superstore sold for I think around $25million? Future development. There's ads popping up for new condo called 'ELLE' on Lansdowne & no. 3 road.

Lots of condos being built along the Richmond Center area as well.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 2:41 AM

Quote:
I took a few shots today:

Mods, perhaps the name of this thread could be changed to [Richmond] Capstan Station Precinct - Pinnacle Park Place & Concord Pacific Gardens?
The Rainflower (?) Restaurant beside Canadian Tire is owned by another developer so we may see a future development there as well.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 3:39 AM
Dahvie Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Richmond's urban planning is a mess. There is no cohesion to the residential they're plopping down willy nilly. Basically there's now a long Kingsway-like stretch of midrises trailing down No. 3 Rd from Bridgeport to Granville. Not walkable, not compact and no focus. What a screw up.
Ew please don't compare Kingsway to any road in Richmond.

Richmond's core is more walkable than any downtown in the region OTHER than Vancouver. And that includes New West and Burnaby.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeowner View Post
The Rainflower (?) Restaurant beside Canadian Tire is owned by another developer so we may see a future development there as well.
Studio One Architecture has had a preliminary rendering of a project for that site for a couple years.

Click "Current Projects" then "Next" page, and click "3600 No. 3 Road."

http://www.studioonearchitecture.ca/

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 9:09 PM

Quote:
I would disagree about the walkability - it's arguably the most urban, walkable area in Richmond - part along Number 3 Road, but it is pretty much a mish mash at this point. There are so many strip malls along Number 3 that it will take decades to replace them with coherent urban development, plus with no laneways, just about all of the site access is via curb cuts and driveways on Number 3. On weekends, when it seems like everyone in Richmond drives to go eat and shop along Number 3, the street is a parking lot. It's the only place in the region where I regularly see surface parking lots at shopping centres and strip malls full (as in Christmas rush full) on a regular basis on weekends.
You're ignoring the fact that the residential sprawls for a couple kilometres along an arterial. Not walkable. They should have set Alderbridge as the nothern boundary for residential highrise and created a truly compact downtown. Then they could have made No 3 Rd between Alderbridge and Bridgeport light industrial, instead of barfing out business parks in east Richmond that are really only accessible by car.

If anyone wants to see future ghettos, check out the townhouse sprawl east of Garden City. Truly dreary neighbourhoods with no focal point.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 12:13 AM

Quote:
You're ignoring the fact that the residential sprawls for a couple kilometres along an arterial. Not walkable. They should have set Alderbridge as the nothern boundary for residential highrise and created a truly compact downtown. Then they could have made No 3 Rd between Alderbridge and Bridgeport light industrial, instead of barfing out business parks in east Richmond that are really only accessible by car.

If anyone wants to see future ghettos, check out the townhouse sprawl east of Garden City. Truly dreary neighbourhoods with no focal point.
I don't think that I'm ignoring the distance, I've just come to a different conclusion. From Sea Island Way (Wall Centre Richmond, Yuanheng's big No. 3 Road & Capstan Way mixed use development, and MYIE's large International Trade Centre at Versante) to Granville Avenue is 3.4km, approximately the same as Cambie Street from Broadway to 41st Avenue. That's quite a hike by anyone's measure. However, much like Cambie Street, there are public transit options: 3 current Canada Line stations (with a fourth, Capstan Way, planned) and a local bus (the 403) for the whole length, plus the frequent 410 from Cambie Rd south to Granville. There's no need to walk from end to end.

As for the business parks, the businesses that got into those are highly unlikely to go into a CBD-like environment. Many are actually in 'flex' units that combine office with warehouse/loading dock/workshop space. With that said, I hope that office is a significant component of the larger mixed-use projects, though we all know that Concord and Pinnacle are allergic to that use, so the likelihood of that being in the vicinity of Capstan Way station will be low.

As for the 'future ghetto' townhouse neighbourhood east of Garden City, I doubt it will become that. The absence of a focal point is precisely what is attractive to a lot of home buyers, regardless of city. With that said, the City of Richmond will be transforming the Garden City Lands into a major city park, which strikes me as a focal point.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 4:06 PM

Nice pics sfuvan.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 12:02 AM
Dahvie Fan

Quote:

Setting Alderbridge as a boundary is completely short sighted. You're obviously ignorant of Richmond's master plan for 3 road. It's going to be an incredibly long stretch of dense towers with commercial retail at the bottom. 10 years and Richmond will probably have the most walkable, density conscious downtown in BC.

As for future ghettos. How is that possible when half of the cars parked in front of those townhomes are bmers and Mercedes lol.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 9:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sands View Post
Nice pics sfuvan.
Thank you.

I'll try to stay more on top of projects in my neck of the woods.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley