HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 3:42 AM
Urban Fanactic

I really like this new building but it still doesn't compete with the other proposal for tower 2.

The four diamonds was one of my favourite buildings design that I've seen in a very long time.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 4:38 AM
N40° 46.8925', W073° 57.3

How 2 World Trade Center Was Redesigned Exactly for Rupert Murdoch’s Media Empire

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/20...-bjarke-ingels

Quote:
The news that Rupert Murdoch’s media companies, 21st Century Fox and News Corp., have agreed to move to the World Trade Center downtown if Norman Foster’s design for the tower they would occupy, 2 World Trade Center, were abandoned in favor of a very different one by the Danish architect Bjarke Ingels seems, at first, like a case of a distinguished older architect being pushed aside by a young upstart. Foster, after all, just marked his 80th birthday. Ingels turned 40 last October.

But this change signifies more than Oedipal rumblings in the architectural world. It may say even more about the world of media, and not just Murdoch’s media. The announcement wasn’t made in a newspaper, or in the architectural press, or in some real estate journal. It was announced via an online posting in Wired, the technology magazine, that included a slickly produced video in which the telegenic Ingels, the founder of the firm BIG, presented his design for the building while walking around Tribeca and Ground Zero as a virtual image of his new tower rose behind him, populated by a racially diverse group of smiling workers, all to the music of Tchaikovsky.

Once, Norman Foster’s firm was able to knock competitors out of the picture with its famously dazzling models and well-crafted, hardcover presentation books. Now, new media, captained by an architect who can be found on Instagram and Twitter as much as anywhere, appears to have squeezed Foster out. As anyone who plays computer games knows, you can now create moving images that look as real as any photographs. Who could fail to be seduced by a tour through a magical glass tower that features women lounging amid lavishly planted roof decks, happy workers playing in a basketball court in the sky, and a window cleaner who smiles and bows before a roomful of delighted occupants of the tower? This building is presented less as a design than as the star of a short little movie, populated by cheerful supporting characters: it hasn’t yet been built, but it already has a narrative. Here is where the employees of Fox News and Dow Jones, the Murdoch divisions that will be the primary occupants of the tower, will live happily ever after as they move media into the new age.

The Murdoch enterprises are certainly going to the right place. Condé Nast (which owns Vanity Fair) has been in 1 World Trade Center since last fall, and Time Inc. is moving to Brookfield Place, just across West Street, later this year. As financial firms have migrated uptown, media companies have been seduced by the lower costs of relocating downtown, and the two industries have, for all intents and purposes, changed places. The World Trade Center area has become as unlikely a media power center as Times Square was a generation ago. That change, ostensibly, is the reason that Foster’s much-admired design was scrapped: his tower, far and away the finest of the four towers designed to replace the destroyed twin towers of the original World Trade Center, reportedly did not accommodate well to the layouts sought by Fox and News Corp., which need large broadcast studios and newsrooms. And James Murdoch, the chief operating officer of 21st Century Fox who oversaw the search for new space, was said not to have wanted to see the company housed in something that resembled a conventional tower.

The Foster building, which culminated in four slanted, diamond-shaped forms against the sky, would have been much better than conventional, and it had the best skyline profile of any of the new towers. The new design by BIG is flat-topped, and from some directions it may look more like a conventional glass skyscraper than some people would expect, especially given BIG’s propensity for unusually-shaped buildings, like the pyramidal apartment house going up at the far west end of 57th Street. But Bjarke Ingels would no more design a truly conventional tower than he would do a Georgian house, and when you get beyond the pretentious hype of the video presentation (in which the architect says things like “where horizontal meets vertical, diversity becomes unity”), it turns out to be one of the more provocative and notable towers of the last generation, largely because Ingels has managed to take the space requirements of Fox and News Corp., and make real architecture out of them.

That is no small thing. Most skyscrapers these days are shapes first, and usable office or residential space second. Ingels started out not with some notion of an iconic shape that would stick in our minds, but by translating the company’s space needs into a series of boxes of different floor sizes. The boxes get smaller as the building rises, but also wider, and Ingels stacked them so that on the north side each box projects out a little farther than the one below, while on the east side the boxes step back in the manner of a classic 1920s office building, with large roof terraces on each setback. The in-and-out stuff is restricted to these two sides. The south and west sides, which face the National September 11 Memorial and Museum, rise straight up, addressing the memorial with more dignity and quiet, and helping to enclose the space around it.

The building overall is a lively composition, but quieter than you would expect from Ingels (who, with English architect Thomas Heatherwick, is designing Google’s new headquarters) and more responsive to what is around it. There are some handsome details, like the way the mullions on the glass are slanted to create a horizontal effect on the north and east and a vertical effect on the south and west. But the main achievement is in the clever way all these boxes are stacked. It’s a bit like a gargantuan version of the New Museum on the Bowery, but with more finesse. It may even be elegant. And what a radical idea: to produce an architecturally ambitious skyscraper whose shape actually expresses the needs of the building’s tenant.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 4:56 AM
N40° 46.8925', W073° 57.3

@ Henry Melcher

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 5:43 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
While I'm a little surprised by how plain it is from some angles, I must say, and I think now that I'm presented with this new design, it's much clearer: this building strikes me as far more "New York" than the old design. I feel like, and this just may be my familiarity with Two Prudential Plaza and the Smurfit-Stone Building, but I almost feel like the diamond-crown design would have been far more at home in Chicago than here, or just another city in general. This new design looks like a slightly off-kilter and 21st-centuryized version of 1251 Ave. of the Americas, and the other Sixth Avenue towers in Midtown, or maybe one of the contemporary towers in Times Square. Those are buildings that are as much representative of Manhattan as deco icons like Empire and Chrysler. I find it highly suitable.

It also looks far more uniform with the rest of the complex now. Like those four buildings actually form the new World Trade Center, special individually, spectacular as a unit. And at least no one can say that 1WTC won't be the star of the complex forever anymore, which is also as it should be.

Plus, if this means this will be built soon and not 10 years from now, I say have at it.
So. I'm quoting myself because this got lost in 7 pages of whining and I'm just kind of surprised at all of you. Half of these comments are just "f**k this complex" "everything is ruined" "it's a disgrace" blah blah, your attitudes are a disgrace. Really, I've never seen such a bunch of dismissive, stubborn, ungrateful and closed-minded people in my life.

The diamond design was 8 years old. It had no promise of tenants and was really just a concept, albeit a beloved one, and something that was going to remain on our computer screens for an indefinite amount of time until some company magically came along needing exactly that type of space in exactly that layout. Slim odds...especially when you consider that this complex houses almost no financial companies this time around. With the likes of Conde Nast and GroupM setting up house, it should really be called the World Media Center or something.

The notion of a new WTC complex was conjured up with the idea of resurrecting the former glory of the old towers, but those buildings were designed in a different time, for a market that doesn't exist anymore. Finance companies are shrinking space, going paperless, computerizing and automating everything. Nobody was going to come along to scoop up the diamond design and NewsCorp/Fox is going to give us a real building and a finished complex that does something greater than resurrect the glory of the old twins, but gives us a brand new glory with buildings that are relevant in the 21st Century...without any missing pieces.

So guys, stop bellyaching for a second, and maybe think about what you're actually upset about. After all, a nice building that actually gets built is better than a beautiful building in a photo slapped on some fences surrounding a dormant site that may never wake up.

I don't know about you, but I'm ready for this saga to enter its final chapter and have the city healed again once and for all.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 5:58 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Don't forget WTC5, which doesn't even have tentative plans at this point. Only when a tower rises on that site will I consider the WTC to be completed.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Ewing View Post
The WTC is quite close to the southern edge of TriBeCa.
So what? The WTC is supposed to look like a FiDi complex, not a TriBeCa one. The two neighborhoods have distinctly different styles, and they ought to keep it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Yep, Silverstein's residential tower, 30 Park Pl. a couple blocks away is definitely considered to be in TriBeCa.
No. The northern border of FiDi is the Brooklyn Bridge to the east and Murray Street to the west.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 7:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
looks much less ridiculous without those northern cantilevers. Those are my biggest gripe. I don't know what they were thinking when it comes to that. I can stand the flat apex, but those cantilevers create a leaning effect to make the building look flimsy, whereas the other towers exude a strong presence - which is necessary for a tower at this site. It actually looks like HALF of 1 WTC. They might as well have just demolished what is already standing and built a twin if they wanted to praise 1 WTC's design like that. Half of it looks weak.

This actually looks so so so much better. Can you PLEASE send this in to the powers that be?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayProReturneth View Post
How is it top-heavy if it's somewhat obvious that the boxes actually thin out horizontally as they rise?? The cantilevering comes from the increasing degrees of twist the boxes take. Look at the street view with the digital ticker element.
The cantilevering makes it appear top-heavy, and the news tickers really emphasize those jutting boxes. It brings a sense of flimsiness. Since the base occupies the full footprint, the lowest of the six stacked boxes makes it look like someone took an axe to it as if it were a tree to be felled and harvested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
TriBeCa's aesthetics are not welcome at the WTC; there's no need to blend them. The great thing about FiDi is that it occupies the sky as well, so other neighborhoods get to see its style from afar. Other buildings will crop up in this style, and it will not be obvious to the average tourist that 2WTC is a part of the WTC complex.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 9:34 AM
JoeCooper

From strickly a technical standpoint putting all that is visual aside, this building does not appear to be at all robusk or even hint at being able to withstand the elements that it's siblings are were built to. The two things that really stand out are that it is top heavy to the north and also abit too narrow. It appears vulnerable, weak, flimsy, fragile and anything 'but' a testiment to resilliance. There is a better way to execute a setback design of this magnatute. I'd rather they use a 1,400 foot version on what was to be the stubby Trump Tower Chicago after it was redesigned post 9/11 before it's current design that was bulit that was see today.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 9:53 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Some extra info on the developer site: http://www.big.dk/#projects-2wtc

And all the current renderings in case we missed some.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 10:03 AM
them bones

This has suddenly become by far the most interesting tower in the complex. I'm not sure if I like it yet. I'm stuck with an image in my head of taking what SOM did at Georgia Pacific in Atlanta 35 years ago and giving it another dimension. Not a bad thing by any means.

The only angle I find really awkward so far is the aerial shot from the Hudson (the lean), but that is not an angle that most people will ever see.

Foster's tower was also set to be the most interesting in the complex, but the proportioning always struck me as a bit forced. Somehow the diamonds didn't band together very well (at least in my opinion). That being said, Foster's buildings tend to be way more interesting experientially than renderings of them so I had high hopes.

My initial take is that this may be a very worthy replacement.

What they have done to 3WTC over time is dreadful however.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 10:12 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^

I'm excited for it. I remember the comments for 432 Park, and now its accepted for the most part. I think it was the loss of the diamonds that annoyed many. Also, WTC2 for a while has been the favorite of many.

If anything, people are just tired of the process for building the site. The delays, changes, bait-and-switch. Personally, its humbling to know that the site of the worst terrorist attack will finally return to its formal glory. For some, ground zero seems like a permanent construction plot (Think SC4), but it will be great to finally say the construction has ended in time due.

The thing I do like about it is how it gives the impression of the twins from certain angles. Something that was missing with the Foster design. The idea that now it will look as if the twins are there is a big plus.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 11:30 AM

I'm going to have to watch this video every morning until this new building syncs in my head now,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr View Post
Did anyone notice The Simpsons clip showing in the
Fox newsroom around the 1:47 mark?

It's the scene parodying 2001: A Space Odyssey that matches the video's Blue Danube Walz.

Now that's the cleverest thing I've seen about 2WTC here today!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 11:47 AM

More or less, fits everyone's wants and likes. I'm still concerned about the core and safety features which are supposed to be analogous to the other towers on site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
^^^^

I'm excited for it. I remember the comments for 432 Park, and now its accepted for the most part. I think it was the loss of the diamonds that annoyed many. Also, WTC2 for a while has been the favorite of many.

If anything, people are just tired of the process for building the site. The delays, changes, bait-and-switch. Personally, its humbling to know that the site of the worst terrorist attack will finally return to its formal glory. For some, ground zero seems like a permanent construction plot (Think SC4), but it will be great to finally say the construction has ended in time due.

The thing I do like about it is how it gives the impression of the twins from certain angles. Something that was missing with the Foster design. The idea that now it will look as if the twins are there is a big plus.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 11:51 AM
JACKinBeantown

Someone over at SSC called it the Freedom Fry.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 12:05 PM

The comments over at SkyscraperCity are Hilarious!
Quote:
When I first saw the new rendering of 2WTC, I thought my graphics card had failed
Priceless.

Anyway, glad to see another building rising on this site. After this, the focus shifts to the Performing Arts Center and 5 WTC (which may be taller than what we all originally thought).

This will be fun to watch.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 12:38 PM

Major bummer.

I would of never known of this disappointing change if I hadn't done my occasional check of the 3 WTC forum. Holy cow. 2 WTC was always my favorite and now this. Guess its time to focus on the Hudson Yards project. At least I like all the proposed buildings of that master plan.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 1:25 PM
BANNED

Star Architect Designs 2 World Trade Center

80-story tower is slated to be home of 21st Century Fox and News Corp

By
Eliot Brown
June 9, 2015 8:40 p.m. ET

Last summer, a delegation of executives from 21st Century Fox descended on the New York offices of avant-garde architect Bjarke Ingels to see if he was interested in designing a new headquarters.

The result was revealed Tuesday in renderings for an 80-story tower at 2 World Trade Center that is slated to be the home of 21st Century Fox and News Corp.

Appearing as a set of seven stacked boxes, the building would be 28 feet shy of One World Trade Center’s roof, and the final tower to be built at the World Trade Center site.

21st Century Fox and News Corp, which owns The Wall Street Journal’s publisher, Dow Jones, last week announced they signed a letter of intent to move to the tower, which is scheduled to be built by developer Larry Silverstein and open by 2020.

News Corp said in a memo to employees Tuesday that the building design “would meet our needs for a vibrant workplace that enables collaboration among colleagues and businesses.”

The tower still isn’t a certainty. The lease hasn’t been negotiated, and the companies have said they could still renew in their current location.

If it comes to pass, the new tower would further propel the ascent of Mr. Ingels, a 40-year-old Dane who has become a star in the architecture world.

In 2001, when the Twin Towers fell, Mr. Ingels had just opened his own practice with one partner and two interns. Five years ago, he remained unknown outside clubby architectural circles.

Today it is difficult to miss the Danish architect, with projects everywhere and an exhibit devoted to his work at the National Building Museum in Washington, D.C. His signatures—twisting buildings and an eye on sustainability—can be found everywhere from a giant pyramidlike tower on Manhattan’s West Side to a new power plant/ski slope in Denmark designed to emit giant puffy smoke rings out its chimney. On the West Coast, he is co-designer of Google Inc. ’s new headquarters in Silicon Valley.

For the tower at 2 World Trade Center, Mr. Ingels said the design offers something different from each side. Looking from the Sept. 11 memorial, the boxes appear stacked together, an approach he said was “respectful” to the memorial and that has “a kinship to its neighbors,” the other towers. From the sides, the boxes are more apparent.

“It really expresses diversity and multiplicity,” he said.

The designs bring the first major change to the design of the World Trade Center since 2006, when construction work got under way throughout the site. While the other towers rose, 2 World Trade was capped at street level as Mr. Silverstein searched for a tenant.

“The mountain of towers that is the skyline of downtown Manhattan is one of the most epic man-made monuments or landscapes in the world,” said Mr. Ingels. “To be in a position where we can contribute to that skyline is any architect’s dream.”

Write to Eliot Brown at eliot.brown@wsj.com

Last edited by JR Ewing; Jul 22, 2015 at 3:03 AM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Someone over at SSC called it the Freedom Fry.
Too funny. I hope it sticks.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 2:40 PM

I said this about this design in another thread: "The new 2 WTC is a design that not even the throw-iest of UPS drivers could be proud of."

Seriously though, this is not even in the same league as the Foster design. I thought NYC had learned from the plague of boxy, sky smothering, 1960-1980's era, soulless boxes perpetrated on lower Manhattan in the previous decades. I've been loving the return to tapering, mind-bogglingly skinny, towers spiking up all over the city.

This design is not only a return to the heinous box in entirely the wrong location, but it takes everything that was wrong with those towers to a whole new level. Look at how massive and featureless the wall of the tower is that faces the beautiful (and pricey) Calatrava station. You can't get much more soul crushing than that. Making it all that much worse it is in a location that we have watched become ever more soulful by the day since 9/11. The memorial approaches the serenity and stern peacefulness of the the Vietnam memorial. The completion of 1 WTC is the ultimate act of resilience (even if it's not a groundbreaking design). 7 WTC and 4 WTC are wonderfully minimalist. 3 WTC is beefy and strong. And the Calatrava, as he always does, whimsically lifts the soul...

Then the whole complex ends with a THUD as Faux News craps out a thick one right in the middle of Manhattan's front lawn. Clumpy and Top Heavy, this building combines the worst of a soulless office block from 1978 with today's fetish for deconstructivism to create a building that not only oppresses, but does it solely for the completely arbitrary reason of "Rupert told us to". NYC should reject this bait-and-switch and refuse to issue permits unless they are for the original Foster design. This is heinous.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction