HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 8:37 AM

Microbreweries in the CCR?

Harls' post in the Meetup thread got me thinking... I love my beer (even if I'm trying to watch my calorie intake), and I love trying local microbrew types.

The only place I've been to in Ottawa that had it's own was Clocktower, and it was pretty solid.

Are there any other places I need to go to?

For other beer fans, who I'm sure all know this, Vineyards in the Market has about 4 billion different bottles of beer on hand, and is another great place for a pint or 12.

Here's the place in Gatineau that Harls linked: http://www.brasseursdutemps.com/

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach6668 View Post
Harls' post in the Meetup thread got me thinking... I love my beer (even if I'm trying to watch my calorie intake), and I love trying local microbrew types.

The only place I've been to in Ottawa that had it's own was Clocktower, and it was pretty solid.

Are there any other places I need to go to?

For other beer fans, who I'm sure all know this, Vineyards in the Market has about 4 billion different bottles of beer on hand, and is another great place for a pint or 12.

Here's the place in Gatineau that Harls linked: http://www.brasseursdutemps.com/
When the Clocktower have their cask conditioned ale available it is worthwhile. It doesn't sell as well as some of their others, but I'm a big fan of cask conditioned ale.

I'll have to check out the new brewpub in Gatineau...it looks like more of a belgian themed beer place..

Apparently, there is a pub on rue Principale in Aylmer (the part that is under construction), but I've never been to it. It has a large beer selection.

To me, Vineyards isn't worth it as most of the beers are in the bottle and have been on a boat from europe for months. I prefer draft beer and preferably somewhat local.

Beau's from Vankleek Hill and many of the St. Ambroise products are always good (I just picked up a 12 of St Ambroise Pale Ale for $11.99 + tax and deposit at the dep on rue front in Aylmer.....its been nice knowing you The Beer Store).

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 12:14 PM

Heh, that brings up another good question. Is it cheaper at all to go over to Quebec for beer? I usually just walk to the Beer Store.

I really never go over to Quebec. I should go for a drive one day and explore over on the Gatineau side.

I agree with the draft>bottled beer comment you made as well, but Vineyards has some pretty solid domestic beers as well. I had a really good Raspberry Wheat beer from Southern Ontario there last time I went.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 12:45 PM
Mooderator

The place on rue Principale in Aylmer is called L'Autre Oeil (my wife laughs at me when I try to pronounce it). I still haven't been there yet. It's not a microbrewery though.

Looks like they've updated their website: http://www.lautreoeil.com

442 beers, 31 countries.

Quote:
Heh, that brings up another good question. Is it cheaper at all to go over to Quebec for beer? I usually just walk to the Beer Store.

I really never go over to Quebec. I should go for a drive one day and explore over on the Gatineau side.
It is cheaper, yes.. but I wouldn't go out of the way just for beer.. if you drove from say Orleans to Aylmer for a case of 12, you'd probably waste your savings in gas money.

A while ago Acajack had an anecdote about how you could spot the Ontarians in Costco. They would have shopping carts full of beer

(Incidentally, I may check out those Costco deals. They have cases of 55 Coors light cans for $50... MolsonEx $55... that's dirt cheap.)

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
It is cheaper, yes.. but I wouldn't go out of the way just for beer.. if you drove from say Orleans to Aylmer for a case of 12, you'd probably waste your savings in gas money.

A while ago Acajack had an anecdote about how you could spot the Ontarians in Costco. They would have shopping carts full of beer

(Incidentally, I may check out those Costco deals. They have cases of 55 Coors light cans for $50... MolsonEx $55... that's dirt cheap.)
Exactly regarding the gas money and time spent to get the beer in 819. Personally, I wouldn't want to drink 55 Coors Light but to each his own. Great deal if you are heading to a cottage with a group of people or if you are buying for your sports team for post game beverages etc. The selection at Costco isn't that great, but if they have a beer you like the price is usually right.

Be aware that at the dep in Alymer the price they quote is w/o deposit and tax so don't be fooled.

I'll have to go to that restaurant in Aylmer...work takes me there about once a month or so.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 2:03 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Personally, I wouldn't want to drink 55 Coors Light but to each his own. Great deal if you are heading to a cottage with a group of people or if you are buying for your sports team for post game beverages etc. The selection at Costco isn't that great, but if they have a beer you like the price is usually right.
I'm going on a camping expedition on Labour Day long weekend, out in the boonies about 2 hours north of Mt-Tremblant, and when you're that far away from civilization it's always good to be overstocked. I'm not really a fan of Coors either, but when camping it's ok. People tend to look at you funny if you bring a fancy microbrew alongside a campfire

I'd be wary of stale beers at that restaurant (resto? heh heh) as well, but they are usually quite busy the times I've been by there.

There are some deps around here that have dust covered cases that are to be avoided.. usually they're in gas stations. Another chinese fellow near my place puts single bottles into grey plastic bags and sells them at a discount.. $6.99 all included.. but it's horrible stuff like Bleue Dry and Bowes Dry or 'insert brand here' Dry (where 'Dry' is just a synonym for "more alcohol").

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 4:36 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

I'd be in favour of a Meet at that new Hull microbrew, I haven't tried it either. I have a buudy who plays soccer Friday nights and his team always ends up there after the game, it's supposed to be pretty lively

As for the Quebec beer price advantage I can vouch for it. Just crossing over the Alexandra Bridge to the first dépanneur (Chénier), without even going out to a big grocery store, I can get a case of 12 Boréale Rousse for maybe a buck more than I'd pay for a 6 of Tankhouse Ale at the LCBO. It is a bit out of the way but not too much, so I do it once in a while.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille Sabords View Post
I'd be in favour of a Meet at that new Hull microbrew, I haven't tried it either. I have a buudy who plays soccer Friday nights and his team always ends up there after the game, it's supposed to be pretty lively

As for the Quebec beer price advantage I can vouch for it. Just crossing over the Alexandra Bridge to the first dépanneur (Chénier), without even going out to a big grocery store, I can get a case of 12 Boréale Rousse for maybe a buck more than I'd pay for a 6 of Tankhouse Ale at the LCBO. It is a bit out of the way but not too much, so I do it once in a while.
I had a 12 or so of Boreale Rousse and it just didn't do it for me...I prefer St Ambroise products more.

Your friend must be on a different footie team from me...I'm on a team that has a beer (or two) at the side of the pitch in a post game setting. Most of the beer is from the Kirkland Boutique.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Looks like they've updated their website: http://www.lautreoeil.com

442 beers, 31 countries.
I just checked out the web site...wow, what a selection of QC microbrews and lots of Belgian beers...pretty slim pickings for Ontario beers.

With so many beers, my only fear would be slow turnover on some....they might not be the freshest.

Lots of draft options as well.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 12:18 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Dirt cheap, and tastes like dirt, too. Even at that price, it's not worth it to me.

$11.99 (+ tax and deposit) for a 12 of St Ambroise Pale Ale, on the other hand, is an outstanding deal! I'd better head across the river and stock up. I won't be buying 12, I'll be buying 48.

And I agree with the assessment about Boreale. Yes, it's a micro, but there's just something odd about it. I avoid now.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 7:36 PM
Mooderator

Apparently the Brasseurs du Temps place is trying to expand.. there's an application on the Ville de Gatineau's public notice page.

http://gatineau.ca/upload/publicnoti...e_montcalm.pdf

They want to expand by another 1000 m2 or so.

Quote:
I had a 12 or so of Boreale Rousse and it just didn't do it for me...I prefer St Ambroise products more.
They both have this distinct taste and smell that I cannot quite pinpoint. It's like visiting a relative's house blindfolded.. you know where you are.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 9:04 PM

Brasseurs du Temps

...Love that place, I have gone there many times since it opened, with friends and family, and everyone always has a good time, the inside has a nice Montreal-esque feel to it, and the patio is lovely, right by the canal.

Oh and their beer is great too, especially if you like Belgian style.

They also have a decent selection of Quebec micro-brews.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2009, 1:25 PM
Mooderator

I went by the Bistro l'Autre Oeil the other day and snapped a pic.

and just for fun, the King of Beer place on Dalhousie. It was Saturday morning at 11 am and it was pretty busy, mostly with cars with Ontario plates.

The guy is so busy they put 15 minute parking signs in front of his place.. haha..

Old Posted Oct 13, 2009, 2:18 PM

Quote:

The guy is so busy they put 15 minute parking signs in front of his place.. haha..

Here is the Street View image.....I've never been to this place...I always go to the place on Rue Front...on a corner...that is where the $11.99 + tax + deposit St Ambroise for a 12 can be found....

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...232.18,,0,2.16

Old Posted Oct 13, 2009, 2:39 PM
Mooderator

Hmm looks like Mr. Gravelle has installed a new sign since Google passed by.

I like the older sign, it's kitsch. The new one smacks of corporate sponsorship (even look at the side there where Labatt has a 50 year celebration thing).

Old Posted Oct 13, 2009, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Hmm looks like Mr. Gravelle has installed a new sign since Google passed by.

I like the older sign, it's kitsch. The new one smacks of corporate sponsorship (even look at the side there where Labatt has a 50 year celebration thing).
This is the place I have always gone to...I'll have to price check with the king of beer

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...08.46,,0,-5.39

Notice if you go to the next image to the south, it was taken at a separate time (different cars parked at the side).

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 5:44 PM
National Capital Region

http://www.apt613.ca/2010/03/19/big-...80%93-oh-yeah/

Quote:
It seems that things are only going up for Beau’s as they expanded into the Toronto market recently and have now announced their much anticipated four-packs are available at the LCBO. Honestly, it wasn’t a huge burden to have to finish a whole 750 ml at a time, but the new format is a great move. As you can see from the photo above, they seem to be selling well.

The guys from Beau’s tell me that the new four packs are thanks to a new bottling line that they now have installed meaning that they don’t need to fill each of those four packs by hand - like all of the ceramic jugs were.

This week also marked the release of Beau’s now famous seasonal brews - one of which will be an IPA, the other charmingly called “Matt’s Sleepytime Stout”. The stout is part of Beau’s plan to experiment with more challenging beer selections.
Nice! While the bottles are cool, sometimes you only want 1 drink

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 4:57 PM
National Capital Region

http://ottawa.openfile.ca/ottawa/tex...office-complex

The 3 Brewers / Les 3 Brasseurs coming to 240 Sparks (north side along Sparks Street)

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 6:11 PM
Bulid Up, Not Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
http://ottawa.openfile.ca/ottawa/tex...office-complex

The 3 Brewers / Les 3 Brasseurs coming to 240 Sparks (north side along Sparks Street)
The space that they will be eventually occupying is quite large with 2 levels. They will be leasing the North east corner of 240 Sparks and they will also have a patio ( non smoking of course )

typical political delays have hindered any opening by June of this year as was their original plan.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
The space that they will be eventually occupying is quite large with 2 levels. They will be leasing the North east corner of 240 Sparks and they will also have a patio ( non smoking of course )
Don't you mean non smoking of course ?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation