HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jul 17, 2010, 3:52 AM
Ex Houstonian

Photos from last night by me, man this thing rose fast. I really hope they improve the roof a little.

And for all the Houston hate comments that Im sure will ensue after seeing all those parking lots in those pictures; yes there are a lot of parking lots in downtown Houston but they are filling up fast. Just in that small area around Discovery Green in the past 10 years, 10 surface lots have been covered up with high rises or park space. Soon, there will be no parking lots left so then you Houston haters will have nothing left to bitch about

Old Posted Jul 17, 2010, 6:18 PM

Awful looking building so far. The render was way better.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2010, 7:53 PM
Ex Houstonian

Yup, I pretty much agree, like what the hell is that thing on the top? At least its not as bad as Chicagos fez topped building. But I do think that it still could have the possibility of looking like its render, and I believe once its completed the building wont look as terrible as it does now.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2010, 11:32 PM
Metal Up Your !

I'm gonna wait to judge this building

Old Posted Aug 21, 2010, 3:37 AM
Oh yeah!

August 20th update

Old Posted Aug 21, 2010, 4:11 AM
Ex Houstonian

I cant wait until they take down that green cover so we can see the damage.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2010, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
I cant wait until they take down that green cover so we can see the damage.
Wow, that's the truth. What a big turd this building is turning out to be!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2010, 8:08 PM

Seriously, I hope the building is at least facing the park instead of the surface parking lots and/or the electrical station. I will reluctantly take this over a surface lot given the economy. I just hope this helps our convention and local businesses a little bit. I know the Pavilions would love so more business.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 5:35 AM

This building sucks.

It turned it's back on the Discovery Green! Hell, even the light box "E" faces the other direction and is on the back side of the hotel from the park! The developer gloated that the light box could be seen from the elevated freeways.

Well, F-U for putting up shitty freeway architecture in the middle of downtown on a block next to a beautiful and successful new public park.

This thing is so bad that I am hoping a Hurricane comes through and a random tornado touches down and only hits that block.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 5:57 AM
Ex Houstonian

Yeah, what the hell is up with it facing the freakin huge ugly electrical facility. I hope the back at least is semi decent. The building looks nothing at all like the render WTF. Id actually rather have this be a parking lot and have some future building take up the whole lot and do Discovery Green some justice. I concur that I hope a tornado touches down just right there for about a minute and takes it out. Yuck

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 8:13 PM

I find it intersting that most of you are trashing the building and yet the only thing that I can see that they haven't done is built out the Suite floors that were (admittedly a key element of the design ballance) but as far as the top is concerned, based on the framing that I can see in the image above. They are executing the top of the building almost exactly as the rendering suggests.

One of the dangers of loosely refined renderings is that it does not articulate the actual materials to a litteral level. There is both good and bad to that. The good is that a lot happens from the time the building is designed until it is constructed, material costs and selections may not be finalized until it is under construction. Also apparently the economy has had them reduce the four upper floors which would have aided the building in both proportion and in its once dramatic material change and set back that made the top stand out.

The bad part of the rendering being somewhat ambiguous is the fact that folks get excited and jump to conclusions as to what those materials are going to be and then are dissapointed when the actual fails to be those materials.

I think judgement of the building will be more effective once the facade is revealed, and we can see the top of the buiding complete.

As far as orientation, who knows, maybe they were trying to engage the street and add some needed vitality. Note those other adjacent parking lots? The economy will one day recover and those would be prime locations for new buildings and so the nature of the street will be changing, but it takes someone to take the risk first and then it is often easier for others to follow suit.

Just some food for thought...FWIW

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 3:45 AM
Oh yeah!

The building is very hard to see from the freeway; I drive home everyday from 288 to north 59 and you cannot see the building very much. The building should have been built facing the park because the power station is not what people want to see when they are staying downtown.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 3:51 AM
Oh yeah!

Here it is

One side of the building has now been revealed; from the angle I took these pictures you cannot see the crown on the left (south) side. What do you think?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 3:54 AM
Ex Houstonian

Looks like a suburban highway side hotel thats just 15 stories taller, sigh.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 9:53 PM

I'm sorry, but that's looks pretty bad.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 10:21 PM
$$Money on my Mind$$

I agree its not pleasing to the eye but it did get rid of another surface lot downtown and when have Embassy Suites ever really been architetural gems?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 12:13 AM
Ex Houstonian

Just because we have lots of parking lots left doesnt mean we should be subject to and complacent with terrible suburban looking architecture downtown. Would NYC ever even entertain the idea of such a terrible looking building going up anywhere on Manhattan?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 1:19 AM
Get me out of here

Turd

What a turd of a building!!!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 1:51 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

That's pretty piss-poor design if you ask me. But to look on the bright side of things, if there's anything to this whole karma thing, Houston should have some really good architectural karma coming its way after this eyesore.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 11:24 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
Looks like a suburban highway side hotel thats just 15 stories taller, sigh.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

-sb

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive