HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Mandarin Oriental Hotel & Residences Atlanta in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Atlanta Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 12:41 PM

I have to say, I thought it was alright, but not loving it until I saw this illumination scheme. Looks like it will tie in nicely with the Symphony Tower.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 12:51 PM

Wow, how elegant. Simply gorgeous!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 1:03 PM
Not far from Disneyland

This is a beauty!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 1:08 PM

The fin lighting is just as I imagined... the condos in this thing are going to be ground zero for high end living in midtown.

With this, 1180 and 50 Allen Plaza, the spire age is officially over.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 1:30 PM

Wow $10 million condos...that's a first for Atlanta. Do y'all think the market can support this?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 1:30 PM

holy crap! that is an AMAZING building!!!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 1:31 PM

Crown jewel of Midtown Mile
Atlanta Business Chronicle - April 13, 2007by Jill Lerner FriedmanStaff Writer
Byron E. Small
Scott Leventhal: “We think the luxury market for that location of the Midtown Mile is great,” the developer says.
View Larger One of the most breathtaking additions to Atlanta's skyline in recent years will be a 700-foot-tall illuminated wave shooting into the sky.

The Mandarin Oriental will feature a dramatic three-story spa and residences topping $10 million.

Planned at 1138 Peachtree St. in Midtown -- a stone's throw from another still-new architectural gem, the King & Spalding tower -- the Mandarin will be the tallest structure built in the city in nearly 15 years.

"This building will be an icon and a treasure for the city to enjoy and will absolutely be the crown jewel of the Midtown Mile," said Scott Leventhal, CEO of Tivoli Properties Inc., which will develop the hotel and luxury condo tower.

Atlanta-based Smallwood, Reynolds, Stewart, Stewart & Associates Inc., whose other hotel projects include the Ritz-Carlton Jakarta and the Westin Grand Bohemian Hotel, is the designer.

The Mandarin will join a swell of new high-end hotel and condo projects including Trump Towers Atlanta, St. Regis, The Mansion on Peachtree, the W Atlanta Downtown Hotel & Residences and Sovereign in Buckhead.

The 50-story tower will front Peachtree Street, between the 1100 Peachtree office tower and the Atlanta Woman's Club, just south of the intersection of 14th Street and Peachtree.

The building will have around 200 luxury hotel rooms, 70 residential units, a three-story spa and six stories of above-ground parking.

The space allotted the hotel and residences will be about equal.

A small street lobby off Peachtree opens to a shared lobby and internal motor court.

The main hotel lobby will be several floors up from the street.

There will also be an auto entrance on Crescent Avenue.

Leventhal said Atlanta-based Tivoli, which is also developing condo properties Aqua in Midtown and Mezzo in South Buckhead, has been in discussions with Mandarin Oriental for a long time, but he would not confirm the hotel operator has signed on to the project.

He added that the flag that ultimately flies from the building will definitely be a five-star operator.

Hong Kong-based Mandarin Oriental, known for its fan logo and five-star luxury, is in the process of moving its U.S. development offices to Atlanta from New York City, and is relocating at 10 10th Street, at 10th and West Peachtree streets, not far from 1138 Peachtree.

One of the most distinctive amenities at the property will be a three-story spa, 20 stories up, that will be suffused with natural light and awash in views of the Atlanta skyline.

"This will be one of the most dramatic spas in the world," Leventhal said.

The residences, which will average 3,000 square feet, will range from more than $1 million to more than $10 million.

"We think the luxury market for that location of the Midtown Mile is great," he said.

Although Atlanta is teeming with luxury condo projects, Mandarin Oriental may have an edge.

In February, more than 90 percent of the luxury condos at CityCenter's Mandarin Oriental Las Vegas sold in 14 days, generating more than $600 million, according to MGM Mirage, developer of the CityCenter community.

The Mandarin Oriental Las Vegas will feature roughly 227 condo units situated atop a 400-room hotel tower.

Tivoli has amassed an impressive record of its own -- and equally impressive funding partners -- since its founding in 2004.

The 84-unit Aqua is more than 90 percent sold and Leventhal expects to be sold out in the next two months.

Prices range from the $400,000s to $1.8 million, and the first units will deliver in August.

Mezzo, which just opened its sales office and will be completed next year, features 94 units in the same price range as Aqua.

Developer Jorge Perez, CEO of Miami-based The Related Group, and John Williams, founder of Atlanta-based apartment developer Post Properties Inc. (NYSE: PPS), are equity investors in Mezzo; and Perez has bought the first unit.

As for the Mandarin, Leventhal said he hopes to begin construction in the beginning of 2008 and deliver and open the building in fall 2010.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 1:36 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMidtowner View Post
Wow $10 million condos...that's a first for Atlanta. Do y'all think the market can support this?
Condos at The Mansion on Peachtree are from $2.5 to $12.5 million. This is, more specifically, a first for Midtown. Some of the residences at the Four Seasons are pretty expensive, though...

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttx View Post
Condos at The Mansion on Peachtree are from $2.5 to $12.5 million. This is, more specifically, a first for Midtown. Some of the residences at the Four Seasons are pretty expensive, though...
Good point gttx, it'll be exciting to see this part of midtown in 5 years.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 1:42 PM

This is a gorgeous building. While I won't say that spires in Atlanta are over, we are definitely in a different phase. Now if we could just get a 900ft tall building like the Trump World Tower I would be happy. This building along with all the other buildings going up in Midtown will surely make the choice between living in Buckhead or Midtown more difficult.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 1:49 PM
Go Pens!

That'll look nice on the skyline, for sure!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 2:07 PM
Back on the road again

Wow. The changes coming, or already in progress, for Buckhead, Midtown, and Downtown...are astonishing. I think all three skyscraper clusters, 5 years from now, will simply be breathtaking. There's also a good chance, I believe, that in that time frame or not too much longer, Downtown and Midtown will appear to have substantially merged. The 12th to 17th street cluster, with 12th and Peachtree, 1180, and the proposed Trump/Mandarin/MetLife towers, will have Midtown supplanting Downtown and the premier skyline cluster, if that hasn't already happened.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 2:20 PM

Quote:

I feel that the market can support such a lofty price tag. There will probably only be one or two at that price. Taking into consideration that Midtown has an amazing corporate presence (all the lawyers within walking distance), the increasing retail options, access to the subway, interstate access, access to some of the southeast best cultural options, great dining and two five star hotels....yes, this building and those units will sell well. It's great that they have limited the units to 70. This almost guarantees larger units. A necessity in that price range.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 2:26 PM

Quote:
I think in time the market can and will absorb these prices. Mandarin, it seems, is pushing the prices that's for sure. The MO in Chicago, which in on the verge of breaking ground, has residences that are selling for as high as $23 million and surprisingly there are higher in the city. So, I definitely think Atlanta can handle these prices.

I need to see a better render of the tower, however. I'm not convinced yet. I hope this one is spectacular since Atlanta got screwed over with the Trump design, IMHO.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 3:33 PM
Go Pens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttx View Post
I'd love to see the trademark Mandarin Oriental fan lit up on the top fin...
and here you go...

the fans give it an interesting "crown" feature from the side angle.

a little reminiscent of BOA, Charlotte

enjoy!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 3:58 PM
Urban Explorer

Haha...that's kind of interesting. Although I just meant sticking the logo on the protruding fin thing, like they have on the Chicago building.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 4:11 PM

A single fan/scallop might work well but all those "cooling fins" would be hideous on the skyline. Interesting photoshopping though, looks entirely legit in the rendering, nice job!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 5:08 PM

Just saw the rendering on the cover of the ABC and this is hands down the premier high rise in the city. peroid. Just one thing in the article: Scott would not confirm a MO signing for 1138 Peach but promised a 5-star hotel. Hmmm.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 5:12 PM

This is it!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 5:44 PM

Wow, can't wait for it to be built. Last time I was excited was when I saw the 1180 proposal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive