HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 25, 2007, 2:46 AM
BANNED

^^^I'm not sure which you meant by "this building". My post above was meant to point out that there are THREE major projects within a block of 10th & Market (The Argenta, 10th & Market and 1340-1390 Mission)--and I didn't even know about one of them.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2007, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
^^^I'm not sure which you meant by "this building". My post above was meant to point out that there are THREE major projects within a block of 10th & Market (The Argenta, 10th & Market and 1340-1390 Mission)--and I didn't even know about one of them.
Ah, sorry, I was talking about Argenta. Thanks for the pics.

I agree with you it's strange how the project on Mission has sort of flown under the radar.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2007, 5:18 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post
I can't stand the roofs on the foundry buildings, they just look too forced into being something natural and wave like. Otherwise, the buildings are very high quality. I just wish they didn't have those weird roofs that look even weirder when coming in on the freeway.
I really like Foundry Square, including the roofs, and have always thought that they look really cool from the freeway. I'm very much looking forward to having the fourth and final building built so that the originally designed overall look for the development will have been completed. It will be a fairly lowrise oasis amongst a sea of (hopefully) great towers; the juxtaposition will be very interesting.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2007, 6:17 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepping Razor View Post
Wow, between this building and the 10th/Market project, there will be some serious density at that intersection. Hopefully will do good things for that stretch of Market.

Now, if only Argenta were twice as tall, so it could completely block out my view of the hideousness that is Fox Plaza...
Made even more hideous when one thinks about what the building replaced.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2007, 6:53 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepping Razor View Post
The funny thing is that wasn't *that* long ago, and Rincon Hill then seemed like a complete ghost town. Hard to believe that less than a decade later they're talking about turning the building into the community center of a dense highrise residential district. I never would have seen that coming...
Even now, it's amazing to look around the neighborhood and imagine what is coming. Stand at Fremont and Harrison, and imagine on two corners that are now empty and derelict respectively, there will be a 400 footer and a 500 footer dominating that intersection. Then look over toward downtown from up there on Rincon Hill and imagine how that whole area is going to change rather dramatically in the coming years. It will be fun to watch.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Aug 26, 2007, 6:58 AM
Only Mostly Dead

I like Foundry Square as well, roofs and all. Although I must admit, I mostly see them from the street so my view of the roofs is minimized.

Thanks for the updates on Mid Market, BT.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Aug 28, 2007, 7:57 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Does anyone know what they're doing to the skin on Hawthorne Plaza? It's been covered with scaffolding and meshing for a few weeks now. I've been meaning to ask.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2007, 7:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Does anyone know what they're doing to the skin on Hawthorne Plaza? It's been covered with scaffolding and meshing for a few weeks now. I've been meaning to ask.
Are you talking about This building?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2007, 1:06 AM
Only Mostly Dead

No, this one.

All the stone (I think it's stone, but everything that's not the glass at the top anyway) is covered.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2007, 4:14 PM

Kewlio at flickr.com posted this great model of Mission bay.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...3151157&size=l

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 7:59 AM

The Latest Arterra Pictures from the Inside...

A select few of us were allowed inside the Arterra to snap some pictures and preview the property for our clients... some great water, city, and Twin Peak views from these units!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 4:49 PM

(Delete)

Last edited by San Frangelino; Aug 31, 2007 at 5:15 PM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 5:08 PM

Exciting News From http://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/...03/story1.html

Quote:
Another tower added to Transbay
Developer SKS joins rush to new highrise district with 900-foot plan
San Francisco Business Times - August 31, 2007by J.K. Dineen

SKS Investments is proposing a 900-foot, mixed-use tower at 181 Fremont St., a razor-thin skyscraper that would play a prominent supporting role in the new Transbay District at First and Mission streets.

The 66-story tower would include 500,000 square feet of office space beneath about 140 residential condominiums, according to SKS principals and an application for environmental evaluation filed with the city.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 6:11 PM
Only Mostly Dead

There's something on that site, but I can't visualize it. I'll have to walk down Fremont when I go back to work on Tuesday. I know it's not a 900-footer though!

mchoey - cool shots. Thanks for posting them. Does anyone know why they cover the scaffolding on some jobs, like Arterra, and other times don't? I've been meaning to ask that on here.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchoey View Post
A select few of us were allowed inside the Arterra to snap some pictures and preview the property for our clients... some great water, city, and Twin Peak views from these units!

Thanks for the post, I always like seeing pictures of the Civic Center/ Western Skyline. I am eager to see it develop. I am also excited to see that SPUR is looking into putting the rail lines underground and developing over them, as well as possibly rezoning the area this picture looks onto for higher densities and heights.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2007, 11:26 PM
BANNED

Here are some photos I took while out downtown today.

Blü:

San Francisco Federal Building:

A nice little project on Sixth and Howard. I think this is some sort of low income housing, too bad all the projects can't look this good!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 12:09 AM

Photo by qoomonster on flickr

Among the projects you can spot from this TP perspective (from left to right) - Argenta, Millennium (love the crane leaping over St. Regis), Intercontinental, Blu (631 Folsom), and, of course, One Rincon.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1271/...1f84fd61_b.jpg

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 3:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by botoxic View Post
Among the projects you can spot from this TP perspective (from left to right) - Argenta, Millennium (love the crane leaping over St. Regis), Intercontinental, Blu (631 Folsom), and, of course, One Rincon.
And an empty bridge !

Crazy to think that the transbay tower would reach well above the hills in the background from this angle.

Last edited by tyler82; Sep 4, 2007 at 4:10 AM.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 5:17 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by botoxic View Post
And The Hayes and Ritz-Carlton Residences too, not to mention the itty bitty crane for the little condo on Van Ness across from the fugly AAA tower.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 11:04 PM
BANNED

A long time ago I mentioned one important and hard-to-ignore group who might have "issues" about the upzoning of height limits was the SFFD. I got told they were just fine with it all. I didn't buy it then and I don't buy it now, but today came this from the Examiner:

Quote:
Does new fire code give S.F. any breathing room?
Adam Martin, The Examiner
2007-09-04 10:00:00.0

SAN FRANCISCO -
As San Francisco builds toward the sky, some firefighters worry that crucial safety standards may be nixed from building plans under new city codes.

The emergency air supply required in tall buildings to provide oxygen to firefighters working on upper floors could be replaced in new skyscrapers by a fireproof elevator that can carry up fresh air tanks, under new fire code passed by the San Francisco Fire Commission last week.

But some in the department say that entrusting the security of firefighters’ air supply to a traditionally non-fire-safe apparatus such as an elevator will risk firefighters’ safety. With a host of high-rise developments in varying stages of planning, including proposed towers at the Transbay Terminal and Treasure Island, the question of how to plan for the worst is a pressing one.

On July 12, fire Marshal Barbara Schultheis introduced to the San Francisco Fire Commission an updated set of local fire codes that included a requirement that buildings more than 200 feet taller than the tallest fire engine ladder must have a fireproof elevator to bring firefighters and their equipment to upper floors. Under the new codes, buildings that have the elevators would not be required to install an air-supply system.

“The whole purpose was to give the firefighters a means of accessing these higher buildings without having to walk up the stairs,” said Capt. Thomas Harvey, who works in the Bureau of Fire Protection. He cited a study by the National Fire Protection Association that found it takes firefighters an average of two minutes per floor to climb a stairwell with their equipment.

But John Hanley, a Fire Department captain and president of San Francisco Firefighters Local 798, and Acting Captain Kevin Smith, president of the San Francisco Black Firefighters Association, both expressed concern that firefighters would not want to rely on elevators.

“The union feels a compromise could have been worked out for the safety of the citizens and the firefighters,” Hanley said. “They’re putting all their credibility and all their faith in an elevator. Crazy things happen in fires.”

Fire Commission President Paul Conroy and Commissioner Stephen Nakajo both voted against the new codes. Conroy indicated that he only cast a no vote to allow time for further discussion. Nakajo said he supported the elevator requirement, but wanted the air supply to be a requirement as well.

“My vote was purely on the concept of safety for the firefighter in terms of being able to have access to the oxygen supply,” Nakajo said. Both Nakajo and Conroy said changes can be made until it is approved by the Board of Supervisors.

The City is updating all of its fire codes to comply with state codes, which are updated every three years. The new California codes were published in July. California does not require elevators or an air supply system, but Kevin Reinerston, the supervising deputy state fire marshal, said such requirements may be part of future codes.

“Chances are the next model code we adopt will have some more provisions in it for the high-rise[s],” Reinerston said.

amartin@examiner.com
Source: http://www.examiner.com/printa-91502...tool-print-top

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations