HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 12:07 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Where would you end it in Oregon City? Downtown? And how would you get it there after the Clackamas River? Along McLoughlin?
Yes, it would end Downtown near 12th and Main. But once you cross the Clackamas, you wouldn't take McLoughlin. That would conflict with the I-205 interchange and has limited redevelopment opportunities as well. The best route would be Main St, which wraps around the backside of OC Shopping Center and through large swaths of vacant, prime developable land around Clackamette Cove. A station at the NE corner of the shopping center would serve that area really well. Follow Main St south about a half mile (under an existing I-205 underpass) and you're at the OC Amtrak station, next to the End of the Oregon Trail Center. Then another 1/3 mile or so south into Downtown at the OC Transit Center. Three distinct station areas within OC.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 1:07 AM

that area can get flooded but thats a good way.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
I mostly feel embarrassed for the Clackastanis, particularly when I read stories like this.

"We're trying to ask them. That's all we did," new Chairman John Ludlow said. "We asked them to look at it as a possibility, and they come back with a threatening letter, really." Junior High level politics of the goofiest order. John and Tootie grab their pitchforks and go to war against Portland Creep!
Teabaggerism is all about a complete ignorance of how government works. They think you can do anything you want if elected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
No, this is not the last light rail line to be built. The same hand-wringing and doomsday predictions were in full force after the defeat of the South-North project in '98. 15 years later, we now have the Airport line, the Interstate line and the Clackamas line with the Milwaukie line almost half way completed. This tea party anti-everything spurt has already grown weary and most people see right through the crazy. The comment board on the O-live site is not an accurate reflection of how real Portlanders (including suburban Portlanders) feel about light rail.
Maybe but Barbur and Powell/Division most likely will not be LRT but BRT. Vancouver does make sense but that assumes the CRC goes forward, I'm still skeptical. There arent too many places to build LRT in Portland because theres no spare right of way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
Yes, it would end Downtown near 12th and Main. But once you cross the Clackamas, you wouldn't take McLoughlin. That would conflict with the I-205 interchange and has limited redevelopment opportunities as well. The best route would be Main St, which wraps around the backside of OC Shopping Center and through large swaths of vacant, prime developable land around Clackamette Cove. A station at the NE corner of the shopping center would serve that area really well. Follow Main St south about a half mile (under an existing I-205 underpass) and you're at the OC Amtrak station, next to the End of the Oregon Trail Center. Then another 1/3 mile or so south into Downtown at the OC Transit Center. Three distinct station areas within OC.
Thats the old interurban route, which makes sense but I think it would have to go into streetcar mode (running in mixed traffic) on that last stretch from I-205 to downtown OC.

Last edited by pdxstreetcar; Mar 16, 2013 at 6:45 PM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 7:08 PM

the orange line would be better then the green line going to oc, you cant build anything on the landfill.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxstreetcar View Post
Thats the old interurban route, which makes sense but I think it would have to go into streetcar mode (running in mixed traffic) on that last stretch from I-205 to downtown OC.
actually, i'm pretty sure the old interurban route went through gladstone. it followed ashton ln, abernethy ln and then portland street. there's still an old railroad bridge across the clackamas at portland street.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxstreetcar View Post
Maybe but Barbur and Powell/Division most likely will not be LRT but BRT. Vancouver does make sense but that assumes the CRC goes forward, I'm still skeptical. There arent too many places to build LRT in Portland because theres no spare right of way.
Powell to Foster with LRT to connect to CTC would be an interesting option also. If it were LRT the Green Line could be converted to a loop in both directions which would allow the same number of trains on the Transit Mall to Foster part of the Green Line, add new service from the Powell/17th area to Foster and I-205, and double the service provided on the Foster to CTC segment.

Foster is a very wide street for being only two lanes each direction. It may involve taking too much property, but it seems like it wouldn't hurt to look at it.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 8:35 PM

now people jump off that it in the summer, they migt turn it into a bridge you can walk on like the one by the high rocks.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2013, 11:22 PM

Wow i just visited portland for a week on spring break and i am loving Tri-met.

Except for the pigs that hassled me for losing my ticket at the blazers game, and accused me of fare hopping.

I rode on all of the lines and love the city.

I saw the new bridge under construction, and cant wait to move out to Portland.

Anyone have any leads on Planning jobs? or anything?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 4:00 AM

i can't wait to move to portland too, ill be riding the max more often next month.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 2:11 AM

...and as anyone with even a basic understanding of contractual agreements could have told you, the ballot measures do not effect PMLR.

Portland-Milwaukie light rail ballot challenge successful, changed to remove 'misleading' language
By Molly Harbarger, The Oregonian
March 19, 2013

A Clackamas County Circuit Court judge agreed with an Oak Grove lawyer who challenged one of the county's May ballot Portland-Milwaukie light rail measures.

Keith Garza filed a challenge March 7 calling the ballot title misleading because it lets voters think they have a "real say" in the construction of the 7.3-mile Orange Line.

"The Board of County Commissioners is misleading voters with its attempt to place this measure involving the Portland-Milwaukie project on the ballot," said Garza at the time. "All of the legal agreements have been signed, and those agreements are binding."

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 4:01 AM
Karma Police

Are those tea baggers still here? Don't they realize they're irrelevent? Just let them slither back to where they came from.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 2:59 AM

"Approval or rejection of the ordinance will not affect the County's obligations with respect to those previous contractual commitments."

Old Posted Mar 23, 2013, 2:24 AM

More Clackistanis Gone Wild! (Not directly related to PMLR but a good example of the mentality of Tootie and John)

Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 1:49 AM

Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 8:27 AM

As the tracks edge ever closer to Clackistan...

Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 4:50 PM

^ just look at all that portland creep in motion... thanks for the pics

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 2:11 AM
A before E

I am loving this rail expansion, I think this leg might be one of the biggest and most impressive. I was driving down to Milwaukie and you can see the impact the rail line will have on the area and it looks like such a serious rail line.

Now if only Portland could create express lines along the current lines, but I am really loving the direction the MAX is going.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 2:49 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Hopefully Milwaukie will get some gentrification/infill.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 8:26 PM

So much for that girder...

And that woman is extremely lucky to be alive. Talk about PTSD!

Marquam Bridge wreck likely caused by truck with massive beam braking for Portland traffic jam

By Joseph Rose, The Oregonian
on April 24, 2013 at 12:50 PM, updated April 24, 2013 at 1:09 PM

link to original story

Traffic investigators believe the rig coming from Harrisburg and hauling a 75,000-pound I-beam to a Milwaukie light-rail construction site overturned as it approached an afternoon traffic jam on northbound Interstate 5.

Overnight, ODOT brought in a crane and about 40 workers to cut the giant girder into four pieces and haul them away separately. Ultimately, the bridge closure lasted 15 hours and 40 minutes, butting up against the Wednesday morning commute.

The giant girder was the fifth of six I-beams headed to the Tillamook Branch bridge project for the new light rail line on Tuesday. But on Wednesday morning, TriMet distanced itself from the traffic nightmare.

“TriMet does not take ownership of the girders until they are delivered so we don’t apply for the permits or determine the delivery route,” said TriMet spokeswoman Roberta Altstadt. “Hence, we don’t know the exact route but believe no other route has been permitted for.”

-- Joseph Rose

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 3:26 AM

More Milwaukie MAX:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure