HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

111 West 57th Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 1:31 AM

The narrow bands of terracotta are clever, it makes the building look larger than it is from the east/west perspective.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 4:22 PM

Taken recently:
Additional photos will be found on my Flickr.

111 West 57th Street by steveve, on Flickr

New York City - Midtown Manhattan by steveve, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 4:28 PM
Back on the road again

TWO setbacks already? I thought I'd recently read they'd just cleared the first. Awesome photos!!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 2:32 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
TWO setbacks already? I thought I'd recently read they'd just cleared the first. Awesome photos!!
There's only one??

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 6:55 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Total of 12 setbacks until the truss cap. This still has ways to go.

So in this case, 10 more to go.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Only one so far. The second setback should show up 4 floors above the current floor under construction.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 12:32 PM

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 9:21 PM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post
This angle is the money shot, the way they're perfectly arrayed in an actual Billionaire's Row.

Even picturing them complete, this is the angle that makes it look like they were always supposed to be there.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 6:01 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

The panhandling on 57th Street is going to be some of the best in the world. Those people will probably pull in 6 figures!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 3:41 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 3:56 PM

I'm wondering if the Le Parker Meridien Hotel on West 56th Street is the next to go. It's pretty prominent in both of the last two pics.

That's a big site with lots of development rights that would be ideal for a supertall with direct Central Park views.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 4:19 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 5:40 AM
New Yorker for life

Whoah....

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiC-mz0H...rovrealtygroup

Quote:
Finally, one of the better looking skyscrapers is coming up!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 4:16 PM

Wow. What a pic!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 2:26 AM
New Yorker for life

I agree. Another look...

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 11:17 PM
DENNAB

The East and West facades remind me a bit of the old WTC with the narrow silver lines.

I dig this building, but man is it thin. Even the CN Tower makes this thing look like a toothpick.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 3:18 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
The East and West facades remind me a bit of the old WTC with the narrow silver lines.

I dig this building, but man is it thin. Even the CN Tower makes this thing look like a toothpick.
It was designed to be thin, you could say it "flaunts" it. And lucky for us. So many large, tall, and bulky skyscrapers on the skyline and going up, it's this variety that makes this skyline so great.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiMlsdKn...en-by=joeey_dz

Last edited by NYguy; Apr 30, 2018 at 4:10 PM.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 3:28 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 5:41 PM
New Yorker for life

https://therealdeal.com/issues_artic...or-architects/

How developers hunt for architects
Builders of everything from high-end condo towers to affordable rentals want designers with vision and practicality

By Erin Hudson
May 01, 2018

Quote:

Michael Stern
CEO, JDS Development

You hired an architectural historian to work at your firm. Why? We do a lot of projects that have a landmarked or historic component. Architectural historian Marci Clark really helps us to identify the fabric and the DNA of what was there so that we can properly tell the story of what’s coming. In addition to [conducting] historical research, she really helps make sure that everything we do has design integrity, isn’t arbitrary and, you know, overly trendy.

You’re worried about being overly trendy? I’ll give you a great example. At 111 West 57th Street, we’re designing a very tall tower that’s integrated with a wonderful landmark. We wanted to do a tower that was complementary to the landmark but wouldn’t overwhelm and mimic it — that’s a hard balance to find. We don’t want to make it look like a spaceship landed in a neighborhood. Very often, the past informs the right thing to do in the future, so to have somebody who can tell us why and how a neighborhood, or a building, came about in the first place is really helpful.

How did the idea to look into the architectural history come about? The initial idea for trying to look into that old history came from myself and Shaun Osher [founder of CORE, which handled sales at Walker Tower]. We were in a room brainstorming saying, “Hey, what are we going to do to sell this Verizon building and not have it referred to as the Verizon building?”

Does history actually help you sell units? Absolutely. If you look back at Walker Tower, no one had ever heard of Ralph Walker, the architect. He was forgotten. He did phenomenally worthy work but really hadn’t been noticed. Marci developed an exhibit and a book that really brought his work to the forefront and created the architectural pedigree that contributed to the success of Walker Tower and later the Stella Tower. Buyers understood there was integrity to the work and that it was worth paying a premium for. Other developers leveraged off our work too; Ben Shaoul did a building in Tribeca that he actually called Ralph Walker Tribeca, which would have been an unfathomable name before Marci exposed his work.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive