HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Would you support an EU-like merger between UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand?
Yes 99 51.83%
No 76 39.79%
Don't know 16 8.38%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 6:50 AM

CANZUK International - "merger" of UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand

I've seen this in the news lately, a proposed merger similar in style to the European Union between the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. According to some polls it has over 50% support in all four countries with Canada in the 75% range. I don't know enough about the logistics of something like this, but it sounds interesting and I don't have any reason to oppose it.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3975037/p...ains-momentum/

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 7:15 AM
Montérégien

Quote:
Originally Posted by balletomane View Post
I've seen this in the news lately, a proposed merger similar in style to the European Union between the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. According to some polls it has over 50% support in all four countries with Canada in the 75% range. I don't know enough about the logistics of something like this, but it sounds interesting and I don't have any reason to oppose it.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3975037/p...ains-momentum/
Sincerely. No thanks.
This ensemble would be way too homogeneous to be healthy for minorities such as French Canadians or First Nations...

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 1:39 PM

Aus/NZ I'd have no problem with. I'd want to see what happens between UK and Europe to know about that. Could anyone from Europe have free entry to UK and then have free entry to Canada? Canada/Aus/NZ all have relatively small populations, probably still less than the UK if you combined them. It could be a lopsided arrangement.

I voted don't know.

Edit: I'd also potentially include Ireland, although I could see them being wary of any attachment to the UK again.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 1:47 PM

Because the EU works so well...

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 1:59 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laceoflight View Post
Sincerely. No thanks.
This ensemble would be way too homogeneous to be healthy for minorities such as French Canadians or First Nations...
Perhaps these minorities could effectively leverage such a scenario in order to obtain a deeper, more meaningful level of autonomy?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 2:32 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Yes, yes, and yes to Can-Oz.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 4:23 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I am also in favour of a reformed Commonwealth free trade area and customs union.

In addition to the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, I would also invite the Caribbean Commonwealth members, and the Pacific Commonwealth members. Ireland would also be welcome if they wanted to join in (although they likely wouldn't want to).

All this is dependent however on whether BREXIT proceeds to complete withdrawal of the UK from the EU.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laceoflight View Post
Sincerely. No thanks.

hahahahaha FFS

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 4:33 PM

Having lived in Australia, the UK, and Canada,and having spent some time in NZ (and having to deal with all the visa bs) I used to be really supportive of this idea. Now I'm a bit more hesitant:

-This would be a wonderful opportunity to work and travel around but I wonder if Canada could experience a brain drain in the process. Just think, it's cold right now and you could be on a beach in Sydney right now instead!

-Some British people still see Canada and Australia as former colonies and have a bit of entitled attitude towards us. Some of strongest supporters of this are actually quite conservative and think of CANZUK as a race. Its quite old fashioned.

-How does Canada bridge its idea of multiculturalism, with the idea they have in the UK or Australia, which I believe are less welcoming?

-The agreement amongst English speaking countries could ignite separatist sentiment in Quebec.

Ultimately, I would be fine if this started out between Canada, Australia and New Zealand. I think that the UK would be a lot trickier and potentially cause more problems.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 4:37 PM

I am curious to see what our Quebec SSPers think of this. Much of the talk of CANZUK goes on and on about "common language, common legal system, common history, etc." which is interesting because much of that shared heritage does not apply to Quebec.

As for my take, I like it. Including the island Commonwealth states in the Caribbean and South Pacific is something I'd support too although I can see it being a tougher sell. It would greatly help with their economic development (as we've seen in countries like Poland, Romania, etc. as the EU has extended eastward), and with the very existence of many of those countries severely threatened by climate change, they need help. I would favour limiting migration from these states to the big 4 though, if only to protect them from undue brain drain.

Beyond the big 4 and the island states, other possible members could include Singapore, South Africa, or at a big stretch, Israel (not a Commonwealth member but as a former British territory it could be). I doubt any of those 3 would be interested, though, and once we get to those guys we're moving way beyond the "shared culture" ideal, so...

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillN View Post
Having lived in Australia, the UK, and Canada,and having spent some time in NZ (and having to deal with all the visa bs) I used to be really supportive of this idea. Now I'm a bit more hesitant:

-This would be a wonderful opportunity to work and travel around but I wonder if Canada could experience a brain drain in the process. Just think, it's cold right now and you could be on a beach in Sydney right now instead!

-Some British people still see Canada and Australia as former colonies and have a bit of entitled attitude towards us. Some of strongest supporters of this are actually quite conservative and think of CANZUK as a race. Its quite old fashioned.

-How does Canada bridge its idea of multiculturalism, with the idea they have in the UK or Australia, which I believe are less welcoming?

-The agreement amongst English speaking countries could ignite separatist sentiment in Quebec.

Ultimately, I would be fine if this started out between Canada, Australia and New Zealand. I think that the UK would be a lot trickier and potentially cause more problems.
Multiculturalism is one of the shared values of the anglosphere, arguably. London is one of the most diverse cities on earth.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 4:42 PM
arf

If it means better access to New Zealand wool, then YES!!!

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Multiculturalism is one of the shared values of the anglosphere, arguably. London is one of the most diverse cities on earth.
Is there much practical difference between Canada's, Australia's, and New Zealand's multicultural policies?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
If it means better access to New Zealand wool, then YES!!!
Canada and New Zealand will both be TPP member states.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Indeed it is. Perhaps that's why a majority of people outside of London voted for Brexit? The biggest cities are always going to be more diverse and open to outsiders but they aren't necessarily the best litmus test for the rest of the nation.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 5:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I am curious to see what our Quebec SSPers think of this. Much of the talk of CANZUK goes on and on about "common language, common legal system, common history, etc." which is interesting because much of that shared heritage does not apply to Quebec.

You have a few reactions to it above. As I mentioned, I don't think most people would care much as long as we're still free to do our own thing based on what we feel our best interests are.

Quote:
which is interesting because much of that shared heritage does not apply to Quebec.

True, though I've always felt that there is more of that heritage than is readily acknowledged, or even common knowledge.

Even if it often has taken on a bunch of local twists.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillN View Post
Indeed it is. Perhaps that's why a majority of people outside of London voted for Brexit? The biggest cities are always going to be more diverse and open to outsiders but they aren't necessarily the best litmus test for the rest of the nation.
Scotland might disagree ...

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 5:17 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Canada and New Zealand will both be TPP member states.
This is true. Actually it includes Australia as well. I forgot about that.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Scotland might disagree ...
This is true. Perhaps their freedom of movement agreement/union with England didn't work out?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
This is true. Actually it includes Australia as well. I forgot about that.
And in the case of the UK, we'll have either CETA or CETA (Canada-UK edition). I guess that last one could give us the unfortunate acronym CUKTA.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada