HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 5:21 PM

Quote:
E division will probably be gone in less than 10 years anyway, replaced with metro police or more city police forces. Why Surrey, Burnaby, Richmond and others all still use RCMP is beyond me. The region needs to grow up and take care of itself.

If the RCMP is lucky they might still have E-division forces in the rest of the province if we don't go with a provincial police force.
That actually doesn't really matter. The RCMP in several other areas also share buildings with other municipal forces so what would most likely happen if Surrey did away with the RCMP contract and starts its own police force (or the region created one) is that the building would transfer ownership over and the RCMP would take a reduced amount of space in the existing building. Many RCMP officers currently in the Surrey detachment would most likely move over anyway to the new muni-police force.

I'm still of the opinion though that the RCMP will be the police force in Surrey for a while longer and that 10 years is a long way away and a lot can change. Think back 10 years ago and all the changes that have happened since.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 7:35 PM

j hausner is right the rcmp is not going anywhere, the city would be unwise to increase taxes right now to start up a muni force when there are alot of other demands like infrastructure, new auditorium etc coming down the pipe

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 12:44 AM

RCMP have been doing great for surrey for the past 10 year just look at the reclining crime rate in Surrey. Well yes Surrey still isnt perfect no major city ever is with crime though. But i for one support the RCMP in surrey and hope they stick around for a while longer

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 4:37 AM
Website Manager

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 5:31 AM

Thanks for posting the photos.

I'm relieved to see that there is a direct street connection between the new E-Division hq and 140th street. I was imagining that it would connect to 96th Street practically half way to 148th Street. The new street will help put this building within practicable walking distance of King George SkyTrain station.

I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the campus build out, since this is just the first of four buildings, presuming they are still going ahead as planned. But is there ever going to be a lot of surface parking! The plan was for 1,700 spaces; that is comparable to the combined capacity of the Bay's parkade and Pacific Centre's gargantuan multi-block-long underground parking labyrinth.

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Jul 29, 2011 at 11:14 PM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 10:09 PM
Website Manager

wow. here's the rendering from the first page

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 10:49 PM

Street View

my pic.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 2:27 AM

Another nitpick... but I hope they change that brown on the first level to something else like the white paint in the render... otherwise, I'll think of the building as having rather tasteless dark design inspirations from the 60s and 70s.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_kuan View Post
Another nitpick... but I hope they change that brown on the first level to something else like the white paint in the render... otherwise, I'll think of the building as having rather tasteless dark design inspirations from the 60s and 70s.
Here is a description of why the base is brown, it's supposed to look like trees trunks to mirror the surrounding forrest.

Quote:
The entire building will sit on a base comprised of concrete columns, formed in random angles, that are intended to mirror the tree trunks in the surrounding Green Timbers Urban Forest. The concrete tree trunks are intended to be clad in medium-brown coloured brick veneer. The spaces between these "concrete tree trunks" will be filled with clear and green-coloured glass to give the impression that the building is "floating" in a forest.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 3:21 AM

Oh. Meh... it'd make more sense if it was a more yellowish shade of brown... certainly the green glass would help solidify that floating feeling once it gets installed.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 7:06 PM

better yet green walls all around it

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 10:32 PM

Better yet, go back in time and retain a few trees. Or, hell, just go with the giant parking lot theme and add a Walmart.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2011, 8:31 PM
scared of rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
Thanks for posting the photos.

I'm relieved to see that there is a direct street connection between the new E-Division hq and 140th street. I was imagining that it would connect to 96th Street practically half way to 148th Street. The new street will help put this building within practicable walking distance of King George SkyTrain station.

I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the campus build out, since this is just the first of four buildings, presuming they are still going ahead as planned. But is there ever going to be a lot of surface parking! The plan was for 1,700 spaces; that is comparable to the combined capacity of the Bay's parkade and Pacific Centre's gargantuan multi-block-long underground parking labyrinth.
The parking count is a result of the function of the building, you need the parking for the police vehicles and the worker's (police and support) private vehicles. Though why they couldn't have someone park in and empty police vehcle spot and then have a returning officer park in the spot you left empty when you took your cop car out I have no idea.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 10:54 PM

Anyone have an update on this? Is it still scheduled to open in December 2012?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 6:16 PM

I'd say yes.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 1:35 AM

Check out @KimSeale's bird's eye view of the new #SurreyBC #RCMP detachment in the #News1130 Air Patrol pic.twitter.com/AMEWit1q

http://twitter.com/News1130radio/sta...215360/photo/1

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 2:05 AM

Just terrible.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
Just terrible.
Care to elaborate?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 2:39 AM

I think he is referring to how it lacks any sort of interaction with surrounding streets and the crap load of surface parking

edit, I guess there is only one street that it can have no interaction with

why did they build it like some suburban campus? and why would surrey allow this? Woudlnt this have been perfect for surreys "downtown" in a compact development? there is no reason why its sprawled out like this!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 3:10 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley