HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3341  
Old Posted Yesterday, 1:07 AM
DowntownBooster DowntownBooster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
I agree. The grey paintjob is hardly an improvement. Now, it's going to create endless maintenance headaches. Plus, the Portage facing office portion is still the original orange brick. It looks worse now, IMHO.
My first thought when I saw what they did to the 2 buildings was that they looked like something from the old Soviet era.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3342  
Old Posted Yesterday, 2:52 AM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is online now
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: dwtn wpg
Posts: 23,725
shitty paint job to boot

prolly painted it cause the brick needed work
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3343  
Old Posted Yesterday, 1:30 PM
BigG's Avatar
BigG BigG is offline
Ignore these four words.
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 570
Saw this in the news last night. NIMBYs are out again. They're opposing 4 storey units but their placards are very misleading.

http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/homeowner...ment-1.3432530
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3344  
Old Posted Yesterday, 2:48 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is online now
Think about Winnipeg.
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 15,971
^ I guess showing a measly 4 storey apartment building on your placards won't win you much sympathy... better to conjure up some nonexistent highrise instead.

Promising news in the story, though:

Quote:
The developer said the poster is false and misleading, and the zoning allows for a four-storey building.

In an email to CTV Winnipeg Saturday, Landstar Development Corporation said the apartment only uses two thirds of the legally allowed density, and reduced the number of units to alleviate traffic concerns.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3345  
Old Posted Today, 3:01 PM
CoryB CoryB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,286
Is a high density residential unit in WSP suddenly making urban sprawl acceptable on these forums?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3346  
Old Posted Today, 3:33 PM
borkborkbork borkborkbork is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
I agree. The grey paintjob is hardly an improvement. Now, it's going to create endless maintenance headaches. Plus, the Portage facing office portion is still the original orange brick. It looks worse now, IMHO.
So this isn't stained brick? They just painted it? That seems insane to me. They're going to be up there every few years repainting.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3347  
Old Posted Today, 4:35 PM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is online now
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: dwtn wpg
Posts: 23,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
So this isn't stained brick? They just painted it? That seems insane to me. They're going to be up there every few years repainting.
called being cheap the landlord is famouse for this i know lots people that have lived there and had nothing but problems
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3348  
Old Posted Today, 4:56 PM
Wolf13 Wolf13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 524
I think that's a infinite improvement.

Whites and grays go well with sharp, squared and boring shapes. It looks much newer now and it's way better than brown/red.

Maybe another colour could have been a touch better, but only a little. Darker colours would have likely highlighted the flaws more as well as been more expensive. I'd say we should be grateful it was updated... assuming that was optional for them.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3349  
Old Posted Today, 5:18 PM
OTA in Winnipeg OTA in Winnipeg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
I think that's a infinite improvement.

Whites and grays go well with sharp, squared and boring shapes. It looks much newer now and it's way better than brown/red.

Maybe another colour could have been a touch better, but only a little. Darker colours would have likely highlighted the flaws more as well as been more expensive. I'd say we should be grateful it was updated... assuming that was optional for them.
I on the other hand always appreciated that complex BECAUSE it had some colour. Almost everything else is that drab biege or grey. Now, more grey.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3350  
Old Posted Today, 5:27 PM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is online now
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: dwtn wpg
Posts: 23,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
I think that's a infinite improvement.

Whites and grays go well with sharp, squared and boring shapes. It looks much newer now and it's way better than brown/red.

Maybe another colour could have been a touch better, but only a little. Darker colours would have likely highlighted the flaws more as well as been more expensive. I'd say we should be grateful it was updated... assuming that was optional for them.
till u get closer to it


and why is gray such a fad right now blah
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3351  
Old Posted Today, 5:45 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
I on the other hand always appreciated that complex BECAUSE it had some colour. Almost everything else is that drab biege or grey. Now, more grey.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3352  
Old Posted Today, 6:51 PM
pacman pacman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Is a high density residential unit in WSP suddenly making urban sprawl acceptable on these forums?
It may be in WSP but it's still inside the perimeter on existing infrastructure. Essentially an infill for that area AND it's zoned for it already so I don't understand what the problem is? This zoning was there before the new houses went up in the area so I don't feel bad for the area residents who will see this "massive" traffic increase in their area. I like the plan personally.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3353  
Old Posted Today, 7:13 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is online now
Think about Winnipeg.
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 15,971
^ It would be great if we could wave a magic wand and stop all residential development outside city limits, but since that isn't an option, density in such a way that makes efficient use of infrastructure is the next best thing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3354  
Old Posted Today, 8:35 PM
windypeg windypeg is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 148
God those people are ridiculous. Like, you're not gonna be able to raise your child properly because there's one small 4-story apartment at the end of the block? FFS
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:54 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.