HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Attika in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post
131 Queen was purpose built PPP for Parliament swing space during renovation/reconstruction on the Hill.
Ok then i was wrong.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
I think there is a difference in terms of new buildings between the gov funding it from the start and a building beeing built then the gov moves in.I maybe wrong but the edc/minto 131 queen were not known from the start they would house gov workers while the building under construction now it is known they will be gov buildings.
you don't think Minto knew exactly what PWGSC's needs in the core were before they started the process to build Phase 3? I do; they didn't get to where they are by just building on a whim.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 7:37 PM

Although rendering only shows it from side perspective and not entire proposal, tower component of Attika looks good. Don't know if Hintonburg is where a new tallest would fit though.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
you don't think Minto knew exactly what PWGSC's needs in the core were before they started the process to build Phase 3? I do; they didn't get to where they are by just building on a whim.
Yes your 100% correct i take back what i said and yes there has been plnety of devlopments the last 20 years.

Last edited by reidjr; Jun 10, 2011 at 11:22 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2011, 1:43 AM

As far as I'm concerned this entire proposal is "pie in the sky" thinking. IF the city would approve it and IF Tega had the capital to finance it, Tarion would require such a huge amount as a deposit to make the project unrealistic. If Tega had a few 16 to 20 story projects in their portfolio I might say okay, possibly, but right now... no way. 12 million dollar abatement, no previous high rise experience, plus Ottawa's tallest building equals no way in my opinion. I would love to see a new tallest but this won't be it.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServiceGuy View Post
As far as I'm concerned this entire proposal is "pie in the sky" thinking. IF the city would approve it and IF Tega had the capital to finance it, Tarion would require such a huge amount as a deposit to make the project unrealistic. If Tega had a few 16 to 20 story projects in their portfolio I might say okay, possibly, but right now... no way. 12 million dollar abatement, no previous high rise experience, plus Ottawa's tallest building equals no way in my opinion. I would love to see a new tallest but this won't be it.
It likely won't happen but i think its good that this is beeing talked about along with other taller buildings maybe just maybe this will say more and more groups wanting to build taller.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2011, 2:03 PM

For those of you who follow such things, we've obtained and posted the Paterson report on groundwater contamination that our Councillor has referred to. It seems to indicate, as we thought, that contamination is very slowly improving as a result of the remediation efforts Honeywell put in place several years ago. It looks like residents are going to be asked to make a choice between poisoning their community or accepting a 36-storey tower they may not want. As far as we can tell, there's no rush to clean the site up immediately. Under the supervision of the Ministry of the Environment, remediation efforts seem to be working. We'd expect that if the situation had changed suddenly, the Ministry would have come down like a bag of hammers.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 8:32 PM

There was an ad in the Ottawa Citizen over the weekend for pre-registration. "Own the View" is their catchphrase...pretty aggressive strategy considering they haven't even filed an application.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post
There was an ad in the Ottawa Citizen over the weekend for pre-registration. "Own the View" is their catchphrase...pretty aggressive strategy considering they haven't even filed an application.
crumby picture of that ad here: http://yfrog.com/kim7flj

Flyers were posted around the neighbourhood over the weekend with the catchphrase "Ruin the View." The HCA twitter feed ran a competition and other notable finalists were "Enjoy the Shade" and "Own the view, let the plebs enjoy the shade" and "Total Eclipse of the Park" (my personal fave despite the accuracy-challenges, what with the tower to the north of Parkdale Park and all)

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 2:41 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
crumby picture of that ad here: http://yfrog.com/kim7flj

Flyers were posted around the neighbourhood over the weekend with the catchphrase "Ruin the View." The HCA twitter feed ran a competition and other notable finalists were "Enjoy the Shade" and "Own the view, let the plebs enjoy the shade" and "Total Eclipse of the Park" (my personal fave despite the accuracy-challenges, what with the tower to the north of Parkdale Park and all)
It really only just proves that NIMBY's are everywhere and will feel threatened by anything tall. I do feel it is a touch out of place, as Scott street is a better location but some of the opposition is just silly and nothing more than false scare-tactics.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 3:04 PM

unbelievable. when will they realize the view is less obstructed by a slender half block than a stumpy full block.

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 3:09 PM

I think that this building would look great even if it were only 26 floors or less. I wonder if by trying to go with the higher floorcount, they are hoping to get approval for more than 20 stories as a more realistic goal...

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 3:21 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis137 View Post
I think that this building would look great even if it were only 26 floors or less. I wonder if by trying to go with the higher floorcount, they are hoping to get approval for more than 20 stories as a more realistic goal...
That's often what developers have done in this town.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 3:26 PM

Well, it isn't surprising. The outcry would have been the same if it was 25 storeys lower.
Perusing the upcoming planning committee agenda, I see a community outcry over 5 storeys proposed for the really scary area of Lowertown, and the same over seven storeys in Centretown (which will be next to a seven storey building).

Not a word of protest for the 28 hectares of farmland being tuned into 680 car-oriented low-density dwelling units in Barrhaven South, adding to the land appropriated a couple of months ago in the same area for the same neighbourhood.

Out of sight, out of mind. Downtown shade trumps sprawl every day in this backwards town.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
Well, it isn't surprising. The outcry would have been the same if it was 25 storeys lower.
Perusing the upcoming planning committee agenda, I see a community outcry over 5 storeys proposed for the really scary area of Lowertown, and the same over seven storeys in Centretown (which will be next to a seven storey building).

Not a word of protest for the 28 hectares of farmland being tuned into 680 car-oriented low-density dwelling units in Barrhaven South, adding to the land appropriated a couple of months ago in the same area for the same neighbourhood.

Out of sight, out of mind. Downtown shade trumps sprawl every day in this backwards town.
While i am happy with the devlopement downtown thats getting built but this alwas complaining of buildings is gettting out of hand.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
This statement isn't correct, and is easily falsifiable given the history of this piece of land: the previous proposal for development on this block was 26 stories lower, and the reaction from the community was very different. You can read about it in the old thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=180638

(long story short, the biggest problems in that case were the developer's unco-operative attitude and amateurish business plan, not the scale of the building, which a more conscientious developer probably could have easily negotiated community buy-in for)

Last edited by McC; Jun 21, 2011 at 5:40 PM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 8:46 PM

Well, all I'm saying is that a 9 storey building (regardless of dubious business practice) was rejected by the community on that site. They called for an 8 storey building. I'm talking about a hypothetical 10 or 11 storey building. It strands to reason that if 9 storeys was opposed, 11 would be too. To me, that is an "incorrect" statement.

Anyways, I recognize that outcry over 9 storey and 36 storeys is different, as one building would have a far greater impact/presence. There are degrees of opposition.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 2:07 PM

discussion of the contamination issue (Red Herring?) from the Citizen: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/mobile/...879/story.html
Quote:
Hintonburg ground contaminated, land assessor says
Tuesday, June 21, 2011
By JOANNE CHIANELLO, The Ottawa Citizen

OTTAWA — A groundwater contamination issue raised by a developer has upset the community association in Hintonburg, but the company’s environmental consultant said it is flagging a legitimate problem in the neighbourhood.

Tega Homes wants to construct a two-building, L-shaped development that would comprise almost an entire city block bounded by Parkdale Avenue, Armstrong Street, Hamilton Avenue North and Spencer Avenue. One of the buildings being proposed is a 36-storey condo tower, which, if it went ahead, would make it the tallest residential structure in Ottawa.

It’s long been known that the site has deep contamination from old industrial activity at a former Honeywell manufacturing plant. With the oversight of the Ontario Ministry of Environment, Honeywell has been cleaning up the property.

But for a residential development to move ahead on the site, the pace of the cleanup will have to speed up. That will cost an estimated $12 million, half of which could be covered by a city brownfield-remediation program. To cover the additional $6 million that Tega would have to shell out, the developer wants the city to allow it to build 50 per cent more than is allowed. In other words, instead of being able to build 200,000 square feet, as the zoning currently permits, Tega wants to build 300,000 square feet.

“This (contamination) has never been an issue in the community before it was raised by Tega as a crisis,” said Jay Baltz, of the Hintonburg Community Association. “Instead of talking about the fact they (Tega) want an increase in zoning, what they did was go out and hire a PR firm to spread information that they had to have a much bigger building or else this contamination was going to ruin the neighbourhood.”

Some Hintonburg residents are disturbed by the discussion about how the contamination has spread to neighbouring areas, as far as a block away. A 2005 Honeywell report shows contamination has spread beyond its site, at levels 1,000 times less than the worst-affected parts of the Honeywell site, but still above Ministry of Environment guidelines.

Some involved with the proposed development have suggested that homeowners could have trouble refinancing or selling their homes if the contamination isn’t cleaned up.

Jeff Polowin, a lobbyist with Hill and Knowlton who has been hired by Tega to help with the project, has mentioned the possibility of financial problems for homeowners in the vicinity due to the contamination plume.

But in an interview Monday, Polowin said he was simply passing along information that he heard from Paterson Group, the consulting engineers who prepared a report for Tega outlining what it would cost to clean up the site for development.

Although the memorandum that Paterson Group wrote for Tega — a copy of which was obtained by the Citizen — does not mention the effects of the contamination plume to outlining areas, its author, Carlos DaSilva, did not shy away from giving his opinion on the matter.

“What happens if you’re going to buy a property in that area ... and your property has contamination under it, but there’s a property down the street that doesn’t have it? Which one would you pay full value for? Would you pay full value for the one that has impact underneath? Wouldn’t you be a little concerned? I know I would, personally,” said DaSilva, in an interview Monday.

“And so, is there a diminution of property value when it’s impacted underneath? I would say there is.”

Hintonburg is one of the hottest real estate markets in the city, where homes are bought and sold quickly, and any question of deep contamination has not been an issue.

“(That’s) because they haven’t opened up that can of worms yet,” DaSilva said. “I’m not a lawyer, I’m not a realtor. I’m just giving you an opinion based on 30 years of experience with environmental projects.”

Hintonburg Community Association members say those statements amount to fear-mongering, meant to win over community support for a large development.

But DaSilva stood firm: “I don’t think that’s fear-mongering. Would you want to buy a house there? Would you pay full pop for it?”

Kitchissippi Councillor Katherine Hobbs said she can’t remember telling anyone that their property value is a risk due to the contamination. But in an e-mail exchange with a Hintonburg resident who accused her of doing just that, Hobbs responded that she was “merely passing on information received from a consultant’s report. Major environmental contamination can be a factor in these financial matters, and felt it important to share with residents that could be effected (sic).”

Hobbs told the Citizen she is not in favour of the development and that it is not appropriate for the site. But even though Tega has not submitted an application for the project to the city yet, Hobbs added that she feels compelled to deal with the issue of the contamination now that it has been raised publicly.

“My concern about this site is that there is a level of deepwater contamination,” she said in an interview. “It is horrific. These are cancer-causing agents. I have no idea what this means, environment-wise, health-wise; these are questions I would like to get answered right now.”

In fact, the Ministry of Environment told the Citizen that, in conjunction with Honeywell, it has been monitoring the site for the past 11 years. “There is no risk to human health or air quality for the community,” said ministry spokeswoman Kate Jordan.

Although most community members believe Hobbs is well-intentioned, they fear that voicing her worries — coupled with the environmental engineer’s comments about property values — “will cause people to be very concerned,” said Linda Hoad, who, among other things, chairs the Hintonburg Community Association’s zoning committee. “It’s irresponsible to say that the contamination is possibly endangering people, unless you have proof.”

No one disputes that the site is contaminated.

Honeywell ran a light industrial manufacturing plant at 3 Hamilton Ave. N. from the mid-1940s until 2000, when the property was sold for $825,000 to a property-holding company. (Tega, the developer, does not own any of the properties in question.) The deeper bedrock and groundwater under the site is contaminated with VOCs — volatile organic compounds — including some known or suspected human carcinogens, that came mostly from solvents used at the former aeronautics plant.

According to the Ministry of the Environment, Honeywell is responsible for cleaning up the property. The international conglomerate monitors the site and in 2008, installed a shallow groundwater treatment system on the property. Air-quality tests have been conducted that found no evidence of risk to humans or the environment, Jordan said. The company continues to report to the ministry regularly.

This summer, Honeywell plans to study how it can address contamination in the deeper bedrock and groundwater.

“Based all the information and all the reports that they submitted to us, we don’t have any concerns for impacts to human health or air quality,” Jordan said. “Their work continues to this day.”

She said that if a more “sensitive” use for the site is proposed, like a residential building, other measures would likely need to be taken and certainly approved by the ministry. “But we haven’t been approached by the new owners of the site in terms of any plans for development of it,” Jordan said.

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 1:44 PM

New

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site so if I make a mistake please be patient.

I have a question about the Attika. Just out of curiosity. Is anyone here NOT appose to it?

OT

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 2:22 PM
Citizen-at-large

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawastallest View Post
Hello everyone,

I am new to this site so if I make a mistake please be patient.

I have a question about the Attika. Just out of curiosity. Is anyone here NOT appose to it?

OT
Obviously I can't speak for everyone, but it is clear reading this thread that alot of people, including myself, who normally support intensification and tall buildings (this website is after all for skyscraper enthusiasts) do not support this particular development, for a variety of reasons.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa