HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 1:57 PM

Yea, not every residential building is going to have everlasting views...it's the fact of life of living in a dense city.

Even the other new project on 37th and (Chestnut?) takes the view away from the existing residential property across the street. That property currently has a sweeping 180+ degree view to the south including a rooftop deck. That will go away with the new building.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 1:57 PM

I'm sure that most of Old City thinks the Bridge is out of scale, blocks views, and is ugly. It reminds me of the old farts in the Kennedy House, William Penn House, etc. criticizing proposals for being ugly and too tall. Like, "hello, have you seen the fugly building you live in?"

Fortunately, most renters are too transient to get heavily involved in these types of fights, or even attend neighborhood meetings. Most will be out of there by the time the first shovel hits the dirt. Not that the builders should not expect a fight, just that it probably won't emanate strongly from the hypocrites at the Bridge.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 6:21 PM

I like this project. Just walked around the area today and it will definitely be a plus. I get the complaints about views, but i'd be focused more on the giant rusty billboard blocking my river views.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 8:11 PM

People need to realize that the nature of a city is to expand and grow. Once people come in and get settled, they think they own the territory and fight to prevent any change.
That is regressive and it's a shame if we let such attitudes hold back the city.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 9:03 PM
PHL

Wow I didn't see this and I LOVE it. I live in that neighborhood so as long as Race Street Cafe is going to be unaffected I will have a very positive outlook on this project. Unique and classy design.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 11:14 AM

So...what has to happen to get this to go? How does it work if you need a variance?

This seems like such a no-brainer for so many reasons. But plans like this go through the ringer and often fail.

What do we think the chances are for this? It looks like it could be more transformative for that part of Old City than even the Bridge was.

Last edited by Redddog; Jul 13, 2018 at 11:32 AM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 1:25 PM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
So...what has to happen to get this to go? How does it work if you need a variance?

This seems like such a no-brainer for so many reasons. But plans like this go through the ringer and often fail.

What do we think the chances are for this? It looks like it could be more transformative for that part of Old City than even the Bridge was.
I believe they need to get approval from the Historical Commission (which is a higher level review than the Architectural Committee's non-binding position) as this is going to impact a designated building (in a designated area) along with getting the zoning variance; not sure if this can be done concurrently, but I haven't seen anything on the ZBA calendar for this as of yet. Getting buy-in for the variance will require working with Old City District and other neighbors, though I haven't heard any word on OCD's position so far. Getting financing and licenses/permits/etc. would also clearly need to happen. I'd imagine they'd also have to secure a hotel partner to get financing moving as well.

The developer has a track record of getting modern projects done in Old City (see the townhomes project just up Race from this and a mid-rise tower on Front St.), so I'm hopeful this will happen, though we are seemingly ways off from seeing this breaking ground.

And I agree about how transformative for the northern side of Old City - it would really create a dense hub of activity that hasn't really existed at this scale before; foot traffic used to die around Elfreth's Alley heading north on 2nd, but things have really changed since the Bridge opened. The quick connection from here to Race St. Pier and the soon-to-open Cherry St. Pier would really give the area that final boost it needs, along with the other big projects in the area that are nearing the homestretch.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post

And I agree about how transformative for the northern side of Old City - it would really create a dense hub of activity that hasn't really existed at this scale before; foot traffic used to die around Elfreth's Alley heading north on 2nd, but things have really changed since the Bridge opened. The quick connection from here to Race St. Pier and the soon-to-open Cherry St. Pier would really give the area that final boost it needs, along with the other big projects in the area that are nearing the homestretch.
Right?

As it stands, there are so many vacant store fronts on the stretch between Arch and Race on 2nd street. I was expecting that we'd see a rash of new business openings on that street after the Bridge opened but it really hasn't changed much. With 218 Arch and the new National (which is turning out to be one of the ugliest buildings I have ever seen), there will be a ton more critical mass, assuming they fill up, so maybe that will tip the scales. But the type of population this hotel would bring to that corner could definitely provide the final push to see small business development happen there.

The difference between 2nd street and 3rd street, aesthetically, is a big one. There are trees and nice light posts and cool shops and business on 3rd. 2nd is a long way from that. It seems like it would be relatively easy to make 2nd present like 3rd - trees, light-posts etc - so maybe this will provide that final push.

I live on 2nd between church and arch so I'm REALLY hoping for this one.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 3:18 PM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
The developer has a track record of getting modern projects done in Old City (see the townhomes project just up Race from this and a mid-rise tower on Front St.), so I'm hopeful this will happen, though we are seemingly ways off from seeing this breaking ground.
I'm excited about this project. I hated it, now I love it!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 6:50 PM

[QUOTE=El Duderino;8249899]I believe they need to get approval from the Historical Commission (which is a higher level review than the Architectural Committee's non-binding position) as this is going to impact a designated building (in a designated area) along with getting the zoning variance; not sure if this can be done concurrently, but I haven't seen anything on the ZBA calendar for this as of yet. Getting buy-in for the variance will require working with Old City District and other neighbors, though I haven't heard any word on OCD's position so far. Getting financing and licenses/permits/etc. would also clearly need to happen. I'd imagine they'd also have to secure a hotel partner to get financing moving as well.

I believe zoning comes before anything else is considered. Without zoning you can't even apply for a building permit, which in turn triggers other actions like the Historic Commission and CDR. In getting a zoning variance the variance itself gets attached to the property not the project, which is where the old bait and switch dance step can come into play

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 10:20 PM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
I believe zoning comes before anything else is considered. Without zoning you can't even apply for a building permit, which in turn triggers other actions like the Historic Commission and CDR. In getting a zoning variance the variance itself gets attached to the property not the project, which is where the old bait and switch dance step can come into play
In this case, it appears they’re seeing what the Historical Commission is cool with before going to the ZBA, per the link up-thread. Guess they think that this step is something they want to get ahead of before dealing with variances

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
In this case, it appears they’re seeing what the Historical Commission is cool with before going to the ZBA, per the link up-thread. Guess they think that this step is something they want to get ahead of before dealing with variances
So if the zoning variance happened with the Bridge, does it stand to reason that getting zoning variances for this be possible?

Not sure how you would make the one happen but shoot down the next.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 3:42 PM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
So if the zoning variance happened with the Bridge, does it stand to reason that getting zoning variances for this be possible?

Not sure how you would make the one happen but shoot down the next.
I’d say it’s still possible, but less likely: the Bridge is in a special zoning overlay around the BFB, so it had more permissive zoning as a baseline. It seems weird that buildings immediately across the street would have different zoning, but they need to draw the line somewhere, I suppose. If they can’t get a variance, the developers could get buy-in from the neighborhood groups and petition Squilla to rezone this parcel, which has happened for other projects, but would require going through City Council. I don’t know all the details of that process but it seems long and is a pain in the ass.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 3:45 PM
build awesome buildings

Quick update: this is going to ZBA on Oct 24. No new info, but details are below. Glad to see this is moving forward.

Quote:
152 N 2ND ST

Appeal Number: 34589
Scheduled Time: 9:30 AM
Appeal Type:
Permit #: 884219

Appeal Grounds:
PERMIT FOR THE LOT ADJUSTMENT TO CREATE ONE(1) PARCEL FROM FIVE(5) OPA ACCOUNTS ( 152 N 02ND ST, 154 N 02ND ST, 156 N 02ND ST, 158 N 02ND ST, 160-164 N 02ND ST) AS FOLLOWS:

PARCEL "A" : FOR THE COMPLETE DEMOLITION OF EXISTING STRUCTURES ON LOT; FOR THE ERECTION OF AN ATTACHED STRUCTURE (209' HIGH); ROOF DECK ACCESSED BY A PILOTHOUSE, BALCONIES AND WITH ELEVATORS FOR A VACANT COMMERCIAL SPACE AT FIRST FLOOR IN THE SAME BUILDING WITH VISITOR ACCOMODATIONS FROM SECOND FLOOR THROUGH SIXTH(6TH ) FLOORS AND MMULTI-FAMILY HOUSEHOLD LIVING ( 24 DWELLING UNITS) FROM NINETH(9TH) FLOORS THROUGH NINETEEN(19TH ) FLOORS WITH AUTOMATED VALET -TYPE MECHANICAL ACCESS PARKING GARAGE FOR TWENTY-SIX(26) CARS .SIZE AND LOCATION AS SHOWN IN THE APPLICATION

Primary Applicant: SWIFT BROS INC
Capacity: APPL

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 1:07 PM
BANNED

nice

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Quick update: this is going to ZBA on Oct 24. No new info, but details are below. Glad to see this is moving forward.
Really hoping for this. Looks great.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 7:42 PM

The appeal was withdrawn from the ZBA. Anyone know what this could mean? I assume not good.
https://li.phila.gov/#details?entity...20N%202ND%20ST

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 7:56 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
The appeal was withdrawn from the ZBA. Anyone know what this could mean? I assume not good.
https://li.phila.gov/#details?entity...20N%202ND%20ST
It doesn't look good. If they pulled the appeal to put the different parcels into one site lot for the project, the project is either downgraded in size or scrapped altogether, is my guess! Bummer, I really like this one and being right next to Bridge on Race would of further help to activate the corner out. Weeknights this area is not that active.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
It doesn't look good. If they pulled the appeal to put the different parcels into one site lot for the project, the project is either downgraded in size or scrapped altogether, is my guess! Bummer, I really like this one and being right next to Bridge on Race would of further help to activate the corner out. Weeknights this area is not that active.
Pisses me off.

This would have been sweet. There is another boutique hotel rumored to be going in on the corner of arch and 2nd. They are demoing the interior and putting in a restaurant and hotel above. Maybe this is the same group and they went with a plan that didn't require approvals from a group of idiots.

At any rate, I cant imagine, with the amount of development going on in OC, that this parcel wont have some money maker on that corner at some point soon.

Maybe the idiots would like to see a self-storage facility on that corner - no obstructed views and no more traffic.

Lets go with that....

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 6:42 PM

Andddd this has been downsized... so no longer qualifies for it's own thread

Developer subs mid-rise apartment proposal for condo-and-hotel-tower plan at Old City corner

Read more here:
https://www.inquirer.com/news/old-ci...-20190813.html

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive