HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Today, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Does anyone know what this mystery thingy is at Griffith Observatory, c.1983 Slide.

I am surprised by its prominent location.

eBay

It's obviously some kind of transmitter, right?

Do you think that old pedestal is a hold over from WWII

Free night out at the Cocoanut Grove for any noirisher who can find a second photo with this mystery thing. (I tried) I FAILED

Sent this to a friend who has worked at the Griffith Observatory for a long time. Thought he might know but he said while it was familiar, he'd have to pass it along to someone 'up the line'. He finally got back to me...

"Hey Michael,

So, I spoke with A****** C*** today, and he said that antenna device was a satellite receiver, from a weather satellite that broad-casted live news from several news sources. He said it was placed on the lawn, around 1970 or so, and there was a receiver in the Hall of the Eye, where it would print out weather updates. Later on, the antenna was replaced with a satellite dish, and they were receiving news from CBS and NASA.

He mentioned that it was dissembled and removed in the late 70s. So, it was a fairly brief exhibit. He did mention that it was a donation from one of the sons of Griffith so, that's pretty interesting.

Hope that helps.

R."

Last edited by MichaelRyerson; Today at 9:22 PM.

Old Posted Today, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

A mystery in the West Adams district.

"Los Angeles CA RPPC Photo Postcard Boy in Car Driver's Seat at 2170 W. 25th St.*

eBay

If the car is any indicator..the family appears to have been rather well off.

The address is on the REVERSE

GW, I thought you might know what family lived at 2170 W. 25th St.

*2170 W. 25th St. is a block north of W. Adams..near the William Andrews Clark Memorial Library.

2170 W 25th Street was moved to 1857 Redondo Blvd in 1930. As I describe in my history of 2205 W Adams--the house that ate up the block and became the Clark Library--William Andrews Clark Jr. (who built his lover a house nearby, by the way, and gave him a Rolls-Royce) reconfiguered the propety in a big way: https://adamsboulevardlosangeles.blo...ease-also.html

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos