HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 7:13 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
Yeah as someone who lives over here this does not make any sense.
The land is for sale for 11.5 million. How the hell can self storage justify that and a building ? I just dont get the numbers for self storag on a cheap lot let alone this? The building itself is anout what one could expect for the property though

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 7:21 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee32 View Post
Hey everyone I was just wondering if anyone heard of or knows about New Orleans and Louisiana’s bid to lure Apple’s HQ2 or one of Google’s new offices? I read on Forbes that both Apple and Google were waiting on Amazon to announce its HQ2 selection. I also remember in September reading about the sit down at Tulane with Michael Hecht and DXC technology’s New Orleans center General Manger, and the article spoke on New Orleans being spoke about in these meetings between these large companies. So are we aggressively pursuing Apple and Google and if so do we have any local developers who are planing office space developments to house these types of major companies

Here is the article I’m referencing from:
https://news.tulane.edu/news/new-orl...be-next-austin
I thought amazons hq2 search was a fraud from the beginning. Its ridiculous a company that makes billions and billions off of skirting taxes is getting the subsisdies that it is to locate anywhere. It was always going to end up in dc and nyc ... the owner owns the washington post ... sorry but im not a fan of this type of corporate welfare... that said i really approve of the state and city going after these other tech companies. Much less expensive and ultimately a similar number of jobs

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 1:37 PM
-

some construction photos from Canal Street

2424 tulane:

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 5:00 PM
NOLA Razorback

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
The land is for sale for 11.5 million. How the hell can self storage justify that and a building ? I just dont get the numbers for self storag on a cheap lot let alone this? The building itself is anout what one could expect for the property though
It doesn't make sense! Also that is some prime real estate that I feel could be 30 other things before self storage. Honestly wouldn't be a bad place for some offices. The building plans literally look like the Julian a few blocks up the street lol

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 5:21 PM

Funny thing is, there was a similarly sized storage place in the area that was recently converted into residential (condos, I think). There was an article that said there is over 1 million sf of storage space under development in the city. I think it may be in bubble territory. It's one thing to build that in an undesirable area, but that spot is going to be on the hook for some high property taxes.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 7:03 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
Funny thing is, there was a similarly sized storage place in the area that was recently converted into residential (condos, I think). There was an article that said there is over 1 million sf of storage space under development in the city. I think it may be in bubble territory. It's one thing to build that in an undesirable area, but that spot is going to be on the hook for some high property taxes.
im seriously scratching my head how this makes any financial sense.. its not like people are going to pay a premium to store crap there

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 5:35 PM
-

3200 S Carrollton Ave·New Construction · Ref Code: AA27L8
Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Douglas Mayo
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
11/17/2018
Closed:
No
Description
New 2 story bar and restaurant

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 6:27 PM

What ever happened to the streetscape for Tulane Ave? I thought they were supposed to do palm trees/landscaping/lighting? On hold or scrapped altogether?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 10:21 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschin2 View Post
What ever happened to the streetscape for Tulane Ave? I thought they were supposed to do palm trees/landscaping/lighting? On hold or scrapped altogether?
they never had the money for that part of it... but i must say as a person that drives that street every day there are some issues and putting plants in the median would only exacerbate it.. the non dedicated left turns are such a traffic hazard.. people try crossing and the cars cant fit in the middle so it just stops traffic

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 5:21 AM

Where getting some national attention in the tech world. I wonder what’s going to be the next major tech announcement for our region.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usn...%3fcontext=amp

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 6:12 PM

Question: did the World Trade Center renovation finally get underway ?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 6:13 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Question: did the World Trade Center renovation finally get underway ?
Yes this summer it started

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 2:53 AM

Quote:
they never had the money for that part of it... but i must say as a person that drives that street every day there are some issues and putting plants in the median would only exacerbate it.. the non dedicated left turns are such a traffic hazard.. people try crossing and the cars cant fit in the middle so it just stops traffic
I think that a lot of people underestimated the amount of vehicles that travel Tulane to get between Metairie and the CBD. Once that corridor is fully redeveloped it’s going to be a much larger trouble spot with no viable alternatives. It is however, a much needed visual improvement.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Yes this summer it started
Sweet!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
I think that a lot of people underestimated the amount of vehicles that travel Tulane to get between Metairie and the CBD. Once that corridor is fully redeveloped it’s going to be a much larger trouble spot with no viable alternatives. It is however, a much needed visual improvement.
The issue was a lot worse before this update. The neutral ground before was way more narrow, and there were still left turns/u-turns allowed, just less frequently. Now the neutral ground is at least the length of a compact car - it's just people are too unaware of their own surroundings that they often don't realize where the front of their car ends, so they don't want to scoot up to get out of the other lane. But it's absolutely a vast upgrade visually AND functionally from what we had before. Once they get some money to do legit landscaping there, it's going to be great.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 4:56 AM

https://www.nola.com/environment/201...on-parish.html

This is a great project that has the potential to lead to more development along the lakefront and a noticeable increase in the health and beauty of the lake.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 8:28 PM

Canal Street Study

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 8:39 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightech1217 View Post
Hahah looks like i was the only person that emailed them about the study. Kind of awkward ! Didnt realize they would include it at the end

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 5:17 PM
-

Burgundy Street Apartments
This new 5 story, 64,000 square foot, building will offer 70 apartment units. The units will be a mixture of one and two bedrooms that range from 498 to 1,142 square feet. A separate 3 story, 4,800 square foot, cast-in-place concrete structure will include retail, gym and an elevated pool deck. This project is currently in Design Assist with an anticipated construction start in early 2019.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 5:21 PM
-

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations