HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
PT concrete slab with brick and cor-ten steel cladding don't exactly seem like low-budget choices to me.
Well, the building *looks* low-budget, so I was at least hoping it really was cheap.

For 9 stories, they can’t build wood-frame, can they? Brick façade is probably the cheapest you will see in this neighborhood. Cor-Ten is trendy, but I doubt it’s expensive, over the lifetime of the building, since it requires little maintenance.

Low-budget is relative; if you want it to be a 20-story tower, you have to compare it against other buildings of that height in that neighborhood. Compared to the Metropolitan and the Cosmopolitan, yes, this project is definitely very low budget, and it looks it.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 4:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Well, the building *looks* low-budget, so I was at least hoping it really was cheap.

For 9 stories, they can’t build wood-frame, can they? Brick façade is probably the cheapest you will see in this neighborhood. Cor-Ten is trendy, but I doubt it’s expensive, over the lifetime of the building, since it requires little maintenance.

Low-budget is relative; if you want it to be a 20-story tower, you have to compare it against other buildings of that height in that neighborhood. Compared to the Metropolitan and the Cosmopolitan, yes, this project is definitely very low budget, and it looks it.
I agree

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 7:29 PM

Huh? Because the materials are likely to be permanent and won't need to be replaced every 20 years it represents a cheap choice?

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Huh? Because the materials are likely to be permanent and won't need to be replaced every 20 years it represents a cheap choice?
I admit that I don’t know the $/sf cost for Cor-Ten. If you know it and can compare it to other common materials like brick, feel free to share it with the rest of us.

The cost of Cor-Ten is the least important part of my assessment. The building looks cheap. And compared to the 20-story towers some people wanted, it is cheap.

I actually like Cor-Ten. But this building is fugly. I am very passionate about its fugliness because I will be forced to look at it every day unless I move.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 8:06 PM

Quote:
The building looks cheap. And compared to the 20-story towers some people wanted, it is cheap.

I actually like Cor-Ten. But this building is fugly. I am very passionate about its fugliness because I will be forced to look at it every day unless I move.
I guess cheap is in the eye of the beholder. It doesn't look cheap to me. The Lexis across the street looks like cheap crap, but not this proposal. I'm sure if you were willing/able to provide financing with good terms to Williams and Dame for a 20 floor tower, they'd reconsider their proposal.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
I guess cheap is in the eye of the beholder. It doesn't look cheap to me. The Lexis across the street looks like cheap crap, but not this proposal. I'm sure if you were willing/able to provide financing with good terms to Williams and Dame for a 20 floor tower, they'd reconsider their proposal.
I’m willing to concede that some people might like it. Some people like Pontiac Aztecs; that doesn’t change my personal assessment that it is possibly the ugliest car ever made...

Personally, I don’t mind seeing the Lexis every day. It is not beautiful, but it is not offensive. This Station Place 5 building is, IMHO, offensively ugly. Given that this firm also built the awful yellow hotel and that hideous parking structure on the same block, I am glad they did not get a good financing deal to build a taller tower. I would in fact be glad if financing for this project fell through entirely.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Given that this firm also built the awful yellow hotel
The Marriott was by the same developer (Williams & Dame), but different architects (SERA). THA Architecture* are the architects for Station Place Lot 5, and they're doing some of the best work in Portland right now, IMHO. The brickwork on Pearl West looks incredible already, and 3330 Division is one of my favorite buildings from the current apartment boom. They are a firm I trust to do great work.

*But does it pain anyone else that THA Architecture stands for Thomas Hacker Architects Architecture?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 4:46 PM

GBD is the architect for Pearl West, not THA.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 4:54 PM

Quote:

*But does it pain anyone else that THA Architecture stands for Thomas Hacker Architects Architecture?
It once was a shortening of Thomas Hacker and Associates Architecture.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Pearl View Post
GBD is the architect for Pearl West, not THA.
They are both working on it, but given that it was David Keltner of THA who presented the project to the Design Commission I'm assuming that THA are taking the lead design wise.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 7:19 PM

Quote:
They are both working on it, but given that it was David Keltner of THA who presented the project to the Design Commission I'm assuming that THA are taking the lead design wise.
word.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 8:29 PM

Quote:
The Marriott was by the same developer (Williams & Dame), but different architects (SERA). THA Architecture* are the architects for Station Place Lot 5, and they're doing some of the best work in Portland right now, IMHO. The brickwork on Pearl West looks incredible already, and 3330 Division is one of my favorite buildings from the current apartment boom. They are a firm I trust to do great work.
I agree, Pearl West is turning out nicely. But it is turning out to look just like the drawings: simple, restrainted, well-proportioned.

The drawings for Station Place 5 look awful. So Pearl West just confirms my anticipation that Station Place 5 in real life will look just as bad as those orange drawings. If these same architects created Pearl West, it must be the developer is driving them to match the awfulness of his yellow hotel ...

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Maybe they read my comment?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Maybe they read my comment?
That's WAY more than two weeks of "branding" by Studio Jelly. There have probably been 12 months of discussion of the inherent "hacker-ness" of the experientiality of the spaces they create . . . since this old growth tree was just a wee little baby.
Lovely logo and treatments.
and a bit pretentious. IMO

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt-pdx View Post
That's WAY more than two weeks of "branding" by Studio Jelly. There have probably been 12 months of discussion of the inherent "hacker-ness" of the experientiality of the spaces they create . . . since this old growth tree was just a wee little baby.
Yeah, that was a joke.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 7:07 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt-pdx View Post
Well Thomas Hacker is a bit pretentious of a person to begin with, so this makes sense. I like the new branding, it seems to really fit that firm well. I think it is important for them to celebrate what Thomas Hacker has created in Portland.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Well Thomas Hacker is a bit pretentious of a person to begin with, so this makes sense. I like the new branding, it seems to really fit that firm well. I think it is important for them to celebrate what Thomas Hacker has created in Portland.
pretentious? really?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 10:38 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
pretentious? really?
Yeah, really. There is nothing wrong with that. He is a great architect.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Yeah, really. There is nothing wrong with that. He is a great architect.
pre·ten·tious
prəˈten(t)SHəs/
adjective
attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

(words are important.)

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 1:09 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
pre·ten·tious
prəˈten(t)SHəs/
adjective
attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

(words are important.)
i.e., pretending to be something they're not. Maybe a better word would be "pompous"? Or "arrogant"? I can't say because I don't know Hacker personally, but most architects (and doctors and attorneys) I know fit that description.

Anyway.... back to Lot 5.... if the finishes on this building are as good as the Pearl West is turning out, then I think this will be a pretty decent building. I wish it was more of a "gateway" like the Encore and the Pinnacle across the street, but other than that, good infill.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland