HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 21, 2006, 9:39 PM
Chaos Machine

^Actually, the top of that building and style of design is very reminiscent of the Metropolitan Tower along Grant Park in Chicago, which is as we speak being converted into condominiums. It was built in the 20's and designed by Graham, Anderson, Probst & White. They did the Wrigley Bldg and Merchandise Mart, and Terminal Tower in Cleveland.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 1:16 AM
Desert Urbanite

With the recent addition of the Sheraton Hotel tower crane, Downtown Phoenix finally has THREE tower cranes up and running. For Downtown Phoenix, that is an impressibve number not seen since the real estate boom in the 1980s.

Here they are:

Phoenix Sheraton Downtown (Convention Center Hotel):
3q stories, 360 feet

44 Monroe Condominiums
44 stories, 411 feet

The Summit at Copper Square Condominiums
22 stories, 250 feet

Pictures of all three construction sites will come when most of us Phoenix Forumers have time to snap some photos. These three towers will change the Phoenix skyline substantially.

-Andrew

Last edited by Azndragon837; Sep 23, 2006 at 1:22 AM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 3:10 AM

^ You got the first two reversed on the specs. The Phoenix Sheraton is 31 stories, 360 feet, while 44 Monroe is 34 stories, 411 feet.

--don

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 3:30 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Will those buildings change the skyline dramatically? Im happy as hell they are going up, but the Summit for sure will be hidden by Chase Field from any view from the East. 44 Monroe will probably be hidden by the buildings around it as well. I suppose theyll all be visible from the South and West though (views that I dont experience very often)

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 4:08 AM

Here are some construction photos of some of the downtown projects. Some of the photos are old and some are new.

44 monroe- 34 stories

Excavation March 2006

4 stories September 2006

Summit at Copper Square

9 stories Sept. 2006

Sheraton Hotel

Ceiling of lowest basement level

Tower Crane Assembly

Half of the Jib

Civic Plaza North Demolition
June 2006

Sept. 2006

The Charm of Phoenix

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 4:09 AM
under the influence...

Both Monroe and Summit will have a hard time being seen from the east, but Monroe will stand out nicely from the north, west and perhaps the south, meanwhile Summit will look good from the south and west.

Last edited by vertex; Sep 22, 2006 at 6:46 AM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 5:25 AM

Summit will definately be pretty hidden by Chase Field but I think Monroe will be visible between the Chase Tower and US Bank buildings.

I usually look for the tower crane now and image Monroe 44 there...I think it will look nice. The best view will be from the I-17 S to I-10 E ramp...that will be great!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 6:02 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Nice pictures! The 9th from the top (of the convention center construction) is a bit depressing- so much damned beige. I wish the City Council would create some sort of tax break or other incentive, for creative or at least non beige buildings downtown.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 6:03 AM

Great pics Bryan r1. Phoenix is surely Rising.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 6:26 AM

[QUOTE=Pandemonious]^Actually, the top of that building and style of design is very reminiscent of the Metropolitan Tower along Grant Park in Chicago, which is as we speak being converted into condominiums. It was built in the 20's and designed by Graham, Anderson, Probst & White. They did the Wrigley Bldg and Merchandise Mart, and Terminal Tower in Cleveland.

Indeed they do favor. It also reminds me of the ill fated Adelphia Tower project in Buffalo. Scrubbed when NHL Sabres and Adelphia CEO Rigas went to prison. Just can't let it go.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 3:26 PM

44 Monroe is going to be 411'? Where did you guys get that number. I thought don or soleri or someone actually talked to a member of the construction management team and it was supposed to be like 370'... ??

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 3:39 PM

I don't think anyone really know for sure. If I remember correctly...it will depend if they decide to built the ornamental stuff on top or not.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 3:50 PM

^ That's exactly it. I spoke to the dev team (principal) and he said main roof height was only 370 feet, but if they decide to build the crown (more dollars, of course - it was still up in the air - pun intended), then it could go to 411 feet, which is what they are approved for.

Then I reminded him that in order to claim the title of second-tallest building in the city, he must exceed 407 feet, which is the height of the U.S. Bank Tower (formerly 101 North Central). I could practically hear the gears turning in his head as he digested that. He did not realize that U.S. Bank was that tall. I also reminded him that there's at least half a dozen towers in various stages of the planning process that will likely exceed 370 feet in height, so if he stops there, by 2010 or 2015 at the latest, he probably will be relegated to fifth or seventh tallest. He really had no idea what has been proposed. He had heard of some projects but didn't know the particulars like we do.

So, I'm hoping a combination of ego and budget will allow him to slap the crown on there. I've done my part - I've planted the seed. Here's to hoping it sprouts.

--don

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 4:33 PM

HAHAHAHA... interesting. Maybe the reduction in gas prices for the time being will throw them a bone, ease up on their budget somehow, and they'll build the crown later. What "Crown" are we talking about anyway? I've seen a couple different renderings, some of which may just be bogus, but which one is it? That cool one (someone said it was from a SD architect, I think)?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 4:42 PM

Could that be 41'? Probably. It might not be exactly to scale but it seems like it coule be 1/10 of the total building height.

I think it would definately make the building look much better...without it it's just a bit more bland.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 6:31 PM

^ Agreed and that is the crown we are talking about. Good photoshop job showing the significance of the crown.

I'm glad it is being built, either way. Every little bit helps. You can have a great downtown without having 600 foot towers - San Diego and Vancouver are both proof of that.

--don

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 6:43 PM

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew what is going on with the empty area near the sw corner of 24th and camelback? that area has been fenced off for a while but nothing has been going on with it.

Thanks,
Manny

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daltnpapi4u
Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew what is going on with the empty area near the sw corner of 24th and camelback? that area has been fenced off for a while but nothing has been going on with it.

Thanks,
Manny
It is going to be a second office tower resembling the one that current exists on the SW corner. They are supposed to break ground within the next couple weeks from what I understand.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 11:10 PM

Has this been posted here???

Century Plaza Towers

Project Details:
> 15-story remodel
> twin 40-story residential towers
> twin 25-story residential+hotel+retail towers

# units –+/- 900 units & 90 hotel rooms

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 11:35 PM

^ It has but thanks again.

The future tall towers are highly speculative at this point.

--don

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations