HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Does that new area have easy public access from the sidewalk or is it for the tenants?
Yes, it's easy access down there. There are large stairways down to the plaza from the 2nd & Congress and Cesar Chavez & Congress corners. I think this will be a very popular destination for locals, office workers, and tourists.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 2:58 AM

That project was awesome. It turned an '80s project with the then popular concept of isolating buildings from street level into the current trend of excellent street level interaction.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Wrong corner. It is where Tap 24 and 7-11 sit. The Wheatsville heritage building they are building around sits between them.
Aw, part of me has an affinity for that block. I lived just down the street from there up until about 2 years ago while studying at UT. I was even introduced to my now boyfriend at Freeman's, which is adjacent to Tap 21.

Nevertheless, it continues to amaze me the rate at which West Campus is becoming more dense, especially with how dense it already it.

Does 78705 not already have the highest population density in Texas?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 2:16 PM

Villas on Nueces

Yet another student housing project. 7-story, 99-unit mid rise to be built at 2203 Nueces St., next to Skyloft.

The historic house will be spared from demo.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 1:46 PM

The Hilton skybridge is being fabricated in an empty lot on 4th between Red River and I-35. You can see it pretty easily from Red River. If this first stage or two is any indication, it's going to be pretty striking.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Wrong corner. It is where Tap 24 and 7-11 sit. The Wheatsville heritage building they are building around sits between them.
HLC is going to pee their pants....

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 6:43 PM

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...lucrative.html

Austin home to majority of state's 10 most-lucrative hotels; Four Seasons, Hotel San Jose & more highlighted in Q2 report

The hotel market slowed across Texas during the second quarter and will likely continue to slacken this quarter due to the impact of Hurricane Harvey, but Austin seems barely touched by the downturn.

Source Strategies Inc. in San Antonio, which tracks industry trends, reports there is still room for more hotel development in Austin despite thousands of rooms recently delivered and under construction.

“Austin remains an undersupplied market with investment in new room supply likely in the near term,” the most recent Hotel Brand Report states.

Austin still leads the state in occupancy rates with an average of 77 percent, outpacing Dallas-Fort Worth by nearly 6 percent.

Austin far eclipses all other markets in the state for average room rate and revenue per available room, or RevPAR. It's one of the most important indicators of a hotel's success.

Austin’s RevPAR rate for the last quarter was $108.87 per room. San Antonio came in second but way down at $77.48.

Austin’s dominance is also reflected in the financial performance of individual hotels.

Seven of the top 10 hotels by RevPAR are in Austin with the Four Seasons ranked No. 2 behind the Ritz-Carlton in Dallas. Twenty-two of the top 40 hotels are in the Austin area, including Lost Pines Resort & Spa in Bastrop.

Expect the new Fairmont Austin near the Austin Convention Center to debut in that upper tier of hotels, though no opening day has been announced. Previously I was told it would open in September but nothing has been announced and I’ve reached out to the developer for an update.

An intriguing note, though probably not of great significance: The JW Marriott — Austin’s newest high-octane meeting place to see and be seen — took a tumble on RevPAR. It dropped from No. 9 a year ago to No. 18 this year.

Some of the most valuable information in the Hotel Brand Report is packed into spreadsheet details and lists.

Source Strategies ranks the top 500 hotels across the state by RevPAR — everything from the 1,600-room Hilton Anatole Hotel in Dallas to the 40-room Southern Inn & Suites in Kermit, Texas.

Some of the smallest hotels translate to big results.

The Austin Motel — the quirky renovated motor inn on South Congress Avenue owned by Bunkhouse Group — shot up to No. 54 on the list from No. 111 a year ago.

Archer Hotel, the new brand at Domain Northside that I’ve written about in detail, debuted for the first time at No. 43, a very respectable ranking.

Hotel Granduca in West Austin, which has struggled to gain traction after it was completed in 2015, has gained substantially, logging in at No. 100 way up from its 2016 ranking at No. 446.

On the flip side, some hotels have dropped dramatically in RevPAR, at least when compared with other hotels. Most are mid-range brands.

For instance the Wyndham Garden Inn on Woodward Drive in South Austin, and a favorite of parents visiting students at St. Edward’s University, barely made this year’s list at No. 498. A year ago it was No. 321.

Several hotels near Cedar Park and in the Arboretum area of Austin have also dropped dramatically down the list.

The Hampton Inn & Suites and Home2 Suites, both near Lakeline Mall, have dropped about 100 places during the past year.

The report referenced is here: http://sourcestrategies.org/wp-conte...Report-130.pdf

Major takeaways:

-- Austin-Round Rock's 2016 occupancy was 74.4%, down 1.2% from 2015. However, the area added +2000 net guestrooms, so the "slowdown" (if you could call it that) was even smaller than it seems.

-- Austin's 2Q17 ADR ($142) is easily $23 higher than San Antonio ($119), our nearest statewide competitor. Over the same period, our occupancy is 6% higher than our next highest competitor (DFW). So -- really just head and shoulders above our competition.

-- and that means we're ripe for even more hotel rooms in the city. Obviously the Fairmont will make a huge dent in this when it opens, but it still won't necessarily bring us in line with our competition in the state.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...lucrative.html

Austin home to majority of state's 10 most-lucrative hotels; Four Seasons, Hotel San Jose & more highlighted in Q2 report

The hotel market slowed across Texas during the second quarter and will likely continue to slacken this quarter due to the impact of Hurricane Harvey, but Austin seems barely touched by the downturn.

Source Strategies Inc. in San Antonio, which tracks industry trends, reports there is still room for more hotel development in Austin despite thousands of rooms recently delivered and under construction.

“Austin remains an undersupplied market with investment in new room supply likely in the near term,” the most recent Hotel Brand Report states.

Austin still leads the state in occupancy rates with an average of 77 percent, outpacing Dallas-Fort Worth by nearly 6 percent.

Austin far eclipses all other markets in the state for average room rate and revenue per available room, or RevPAR. It's one of the most important indicators of a hotel's success.

Austin’s RevPAR rate for the last quarter was $108.87 per room. San Antonio came in second but way down at $77.48.

Austin’s dominance is also reflected in the financial performance of individual hotels.

Seven of the top 10 hotels by RevPAR are in Austin with the Four Seasons ranked No. 2 behind the Ritz-Carlton in Dallas. Twenty-two of the top 40 hotels are in the Austin area, including Lost Pines Resort & Spa in Bastrop.

Expect the new Fairmont Austin near the Austin Convention Center to debut in that upper tier of hotels, though no opening day has been announced. Previously I was told it would open in September but nothing has been announced and I’ve reached out to the developer for an update.

An intriguing note, though probably not of great significance: The JW Marriott — Austin’s newest high-octane meeting place to see and be seen — took a tumble on RevPAR. It dropped from No. 9 a year ago to No. 18 this year.

Some of the most valuable information in the Hotel Brand Report is packed into spreadsheet details and lists.

Source Strategies ranks the top 500 hotels across the state by RevPAR — everything from the 1,600-room Hilton Anatole Hotel in Dallas to the 40-room Southern Inn & Suites in Kermit, Texas.

Some of the smallest hotels translate to big results.

The Austin Motel — the quirky renovated motor inn on South Congress Avenue owned by Bunkhouse Group — shot up to No. 54 on the list from No. 111 a year ago.

Archer Hotel, the new brand at Domain Northside that I’ve written about in detail, debuted for the first time at No. 43, a very respectable ranking.

Hotel Granduca in West Austin, which has struggled to gain traction after it was completed in 2015, has gained substantially, logging in at No. 100 way up from its 2016 ranking at No. 446.

On the flip side, some hotels have dropped dramatically in RevPAR, at least when compared with other hotels. Most are mid-range brands.

For instance the Wyndham Garden Inn on Woodward Drive in South Austin, and a favorite of parents visiting students at St. Edward’s University, barely made this year’s list at No. 498. A year ago it was No. 321.

Several hotels near Cedar Park and in the Arboretum area of Austin have also dropped dramatically down the list.

The Hampton Inn & Suites and Home2 Suites, both near Lakeline Mall, have dropped about 100 places during the past year.

The report referenced is here: http://sourcestrategies.org/wp-conte...Report-130.pdf

Major takeaways:

-- Austin-Round Rock's 2016 occupancy was 74.4%, down 1.2% from 2015. However, the area added +2000 net guestrooms, so the "slowdown" (if you could call it that) was even smaller than it seems.

-- Austin's 2Q17 ADR ($142) is easily $23 higher than San Antonio ($119), our nearest statewide competitor. Over the same period, our occupancy is 6% higher than our next highest competitor (DFW). So -- really just head and shoulders above our competition.

-- and that means we're ripe for even more hotel rooms in the city. Obviously the Fairmont will make a huge dent in this when it opens, but it still won't necessarily bring us in line with our competition in the state.
I wonder if a Ritz-Carlton will ever come to Austin. If I believe they are owned by Marriott and they seem to love Austin.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 8:50 PM

There was a development group looking for financing during the Chinese investor conference in Austin last year that wanted to build a Ritz Carlton resort on Lake Travis. I haven't seen any update since then. But it was the same conference where 70 Rainey secured financing. There was something posted about it in the 70 Rainey thread.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 8:58 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
I wonder if a Ritz-Carlton will ever come to Austin. If I believe they are owned by Marriott and they seem to love Austin.
They almost did back in the 1980's. They were going to build a low-rise complex where the apartments are near Barton Creek Square Mall are - the one's with the view of downtown.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 9:08 PM

Hopefully they come back and give Austin a shot, maybe the ritz can be part of 600 Guadalupe...

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 9:12 PM

The Fairmont has the potential to drive more luxury travel to Austin -- so I wouldn't be surprised if down the road we see a Ritz-Carlton or something along those lines.

My top choices for the next brands to announce are Loews and Virgin Hotels. I also think there's room for a Conrad, or a Le Meridien.

IMHO, we'll need to see more inventory around the Republic Park/Greenwater area -- especially as the Courthouse block, 600 Guad, and if we're lucky the Post Office site fill in, there's the potential demand for business travel rooms.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
The Fairmont has the potential to drive more luxury travel to Austin -- so I wouldn't be surprised if down the road we see a Ritz-Carlton or something along those lines.

My top choices for the next brands to announce are Loews and Virgin Hotels. I also think there's room for a Conrad, or a Le Meridien.

IMHO, we'll need to see more inventory around the Republic Park/Greenwater area -- especially as the Courthouse block, 600 Guad, and if we're lucky the Post Office site fill in, there's the potential demand for business travel rooms.
IMO Austin still has room for 1-2 more downtown hotels because iifc occupancy was around 77% for Austin area. But you are right, we need more inventory, seeing 600 Guadalupe break ground will be a great sight for sure. I forgot Virgin was eying Austin, have't heard much about them, assume they are luxury...correct?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 9:30 PM

Quote:
IMO Austin still has room for 1-2 more downtown hotels because iifc occupancy was around 77% for Austin area. But you are right, we need more inventory, seeing 600 Guadalupe break ground will be a great sight for sure. I forgot Virgin was eying Austin, have't heard much about them, assume they are luxury...correct?
Yeah, they're luxury/boutique, which IMHO is Austin's sweet spot.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Hopefully they come back and give Austin a shot, maybe the ritz can be part of 600 Guadalupe...
I'd rather see the Ritz Carlton as the anchor on the Statesman lot (preferably in a building designed by a world-class architect).

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futures View Post
I'd rather see the Ritz Carlton as the anchor on the Statesman lot (preferably in a building designed by a world-class architect).
Agreed, hoping Ritz comes to Austin in the future

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 8:48 PM

Barton Springs

8-story residential project for Barton Springs Rd by Greystar and Meeks Partners.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 9:32 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Barton Springs

8-story residential project for Barton Springs Rd by Greystar and Meeks Partners.

Very cool!!! Is this the former Treehouse Restaurant site?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 10:27 PM
Resident Moron

The shape of the lot tells me it's the parking lot across the street from El Alma.

Southwest Corner of Barton Springs and Dawson.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 12:33 PM

That is the former Treehouse lot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin