HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 1:12 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon716 View Post
I'm in Tonawanda, couldn't find appropriate arrangements in the city in time for the move so just signed what I found that worked well with the budget.
that's alright. I lived in Snyder (Amherst) for most of my time in Buffalo. but I must say I had much more fun when I lived in the actual city limits. even if it was with my friend on Ghetto 7th St/Columbus Parkway

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 8:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGS View Post
that's alright. I lived in Snyder (Amherst) for most of my time in Buffalo. but I must say I had much more fun when I lived in the actual city limits. even if it was with my friend on Ghetto 7th St/Columbus Parkway
You May not believe this, but as late as the late 70s that area was not considered Ghetto. In fact Buffalo still has far worse hoods.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 5:31 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halovet View Post
You May not believe this, but as late as the late 70s that area was not considered Ghetto. In fact Buffalo still has far worse hoods.
Halovet, I figured as much on the first point. and I'm well aware Buffalo has worse hoods. Like Genesee-Moselle, Perry Projects, other parts of East Side, Lower West Side.
My roommate and I were the only white people on our block. He still resides there to this day. No one bugged us besides lil' Puerto Rican kids egging my car once.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 4:50 PM

Kissling's Lake Hotel renovation, 201 W. Huron: 8 units, $1.1 million, work starts in about six weeks
http://www.buffalorising.com/2009/11...roceeding.html

Last edited by westcoastperspective; Nov 11, 2009 at 5:00 PM.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 3:48 PM

NEW RESIDENCE HALL TO EMBODY 'LEARNING LANDSCAPES' CONCEPT CENTRAL TO UB'S MASTER PHYSICAL PLAN

The 600-unit South Ellicott Suites for sophomores will feature a "learning landscapes" concept, designed to enhance student learning by blending residential, academic and recreational areas. The new facility is part of the plan to make the North Campus more dynamic, lively and attractive. It will become the model for future campus housing at UB, according to Joseph J. Krakowiak, director of University Residence Halls and Apartments.

Construction of the 198,500-square-foot residence is underway and is expected to be ready for occupancy for the fall 2011 semester. The $57 million project is being funded by a partnership between the UB Foundation and the UB Alumni Association, and will utilize fees from residents of the building for construction and operation costs.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 3:55 PM

Projects aim to transform empty buildings
By Brian Meyer
NEWS STAFF REPORTER

Projects that would create new housing in the downtown business district, the Peace Bridge neighborhood and South Buffalo were presented to Buffalo's Planning Board today.

Meanwhile, officials from Ellicott Development presented plans to convert two vacant buildings into residential and commercial space. One project involves the former Baker's Shoes building in the 400 block of Main Street, not far from Lafayette Square. The $3.2 million project would create 16 market-rate apartments with indoor parking. Project manager Tom Fox said there would also be first-floor commercial or retail space.

Developer Carl Paladino was asked about the ongoing conversion of old downtown structures into loft apartments and other housing. He said he's not worried that the continuing development might cause a glut of downtown housing.

"The market is as deep as we want it to be," Paladino told a reporter following today's meeting. "The more we build, the more people will come."

Ellicott Development is also planning a $4 million project in a vacant warehouse at 960 Busti Ave., one block from the Peace Bridge. Once home to Multiform Technologies, officials said the structure will include 23 apartments and first-floor space for commercial or retail establishments.

Planning Board members praised all three projects, but they noted that developers must still obtain various approvals from governmental entities.

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/864604.html

Back of Baker Shoe Bldg. along Pearl Street

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 1:57 AM
Great White Norf

It seems like a healthy number of projects are proposed or under construction in Buffalo again. Good to hear!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGS View Post
It seems like a healthy number of projects are proposed or under construction in Buffalo again. Good to hear!
Yes! It is safe to come back now!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 10:50 PM

Details emerge on plan for former AM&A's

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/873411.html

Rocco R. Termini's vision for the long-vacant Main Street complex includes 28 market-rate senior independent living apartments, a health club and office space for an Amherst company that would move its offices to the downtown business district.

Termini also disclosed that he has lined up a nationally-known hotel entity to operate a proposed 117-room hotel.

"We will make an announcement Tuesday on who the hotel is going to be," Termini told The Buffalo News. "We're very far ahead on this project."

The project will include complete restoration of the building's exterior, said Carmina Wood Morris, a Buffalo architectural firm that is working with Termini. Masonry will be cleaned and repointed, and historic windows will be restored. Some windows that are missing or not deemed to be historic will be replaced.

"The original storefronts along Washington Street will be recreated based on photographic evidence," architects wrote.

The 350,000-square-foot complex will include a hotel at its south end. Termini is working on the hotel venture with the Hamister Group, a health care and hotel management company based in Amherst. Termini said the goal is to land a nationally-known hotel. Termini said the Hamister Group also plans to occupy commercial space in the building as it locates its headquarters downtown.

Five upper floors will be transformed into 52 apartments that will range in size from 900 square feet to about 1,575 square feet.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 3:54 AM
Great White Norf

^I've been following development in the city of Buffalo through SSP and SSC since 2002 and have waited for AM&A's to be redone as a mixed use project.
Kudos to Rocco Termini!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 2:29 AM

Seems to be quite a bit of development considering I was told there wasn't much going on.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 3:53 AM

What is going to happen to the more than life size poster of Steve Christie?!? From the rendering, I see Rocco does not include Steve into his future plans for the AM&A's site. Give it 35 more years and that poster might be up for some sort of historic tax crdit.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 6:10 PM
Trendy.

This is great news. Just wish it was real Hilton instead of a Hilton Garden Inn!

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon716 View Post
Seems to be quite a bit of development considering I was told there wasn't much going on.
Don't believe the commenters on the Buffalo News' site!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 10:17 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
This would be great. Re-use of old midrise block fillers like this building really add a lot to the vibrancy of our old cities.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 9:37 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasTexan View Post
This is great news. Just wish it was real Hilton instead of a Hilton Garden Inn!
117 rooms is too small for a "real" Hilton

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 6:14 AM

hey.

i was wondering if there is any word on carl paldino (spelling?) and his plans for a second waterfront tower, it seems highly adventurous at this point. His original really does help create a new vibe.

i was also wondering if that private group of people where building that 7-8 story condo tower?

both of these idea's really seemed to be a flowing trend. to the point where we were concerned about waterfront shopping and infrastructure.

what other forgotten projects are needed to be reminded of?

there are just so many hotel acts going on, i don't know, does anyone else have some concern over it.

thanks.

ps. anyone know how to defend against psychological vampires?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impressingagent View Post
hey.

i was wondering if there is any word on carl paldino (spelling?) and his plans for a second waterfront tower, it seems highly adventurous at this point. His original really does help create a new vibe.

i was also wondering if that private group of people where building that 7-8 story condo tower?

both of these idea's really seemed to be a flowing trend. to the point where we were concerned about waterfront shopping and infrastructure.

what other forgotten projects are needed to be reminded of?

there are just so many hotel acts going on, i don't know, does anyone else have some concern over it.

thanks.

ps. anyone know how to defend against psychological vampires?
Second Paladino tower is still planned- they have 15 units to sell in their first building. They're also going to start three more townhomes in the spring (one is under construction now).

Casa Luce project, the mid-rise condo building and townhomes next to Portside, is dead.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 4:48 PM

Larkin Streetscape and First Residential Project

First Niagara Financial Group, Inc. is kicking off a comprehensive plan to dramatically and visibly enhance homes, public spaces and business properties in the Larkin District and surrounding neighborhoods in 2010, as part of the bank's long-term commitment to partner with the Larkin Development Group and the public sector to revitalize the resurgent urban community.

During 2010 alone, over $2 million will be invested in spectacular streetscape improvements, redevelopment of a long vacant building into commercial space and rental apartments, and a financial assistance program that will underwrite residents' and small-business owners' remodeling and renovation projects in the neighborhood.

Complementing the streetscape project will be renovation of a long vacant commercial building at 740 Seneca Street at the corner of Emslie Street. Larkin Development Group will invest over a quarter of a million dollars in the renovation of the 8,000 square-foot property to create at least four units of stylish rental apartments that will be designed to appeal to artists and/or young professionals. The first floor will initially be commercial space for a Larkin District Information Center serving as a clearinghouse of resources for established and new residents, visitors, area businesses and their employees. Future use of the first floor is planned for studio space for the residents living above. The project will begin in early 2010 and will be completed during the same year. The project is being designed by Young + Wright Architectural.

http://www.buffalorising.com/2009/12...-district.html

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 3:30 PM
welcome to the madness

It looks to me like First Niagara is going to pour a lot of energy and resources into making the neighborhood of their new headquarters an urban centerpiece. A friend of mine is a pastor at Seneca Street United Methodist Church in the heart of Seneca Babcock, and there's not a single useful or decent business for residents. I just hope that when these new businesses open around the Larkin District, they really will be welcoming and beneficial to exisiting residents, rather that just pushing them out of the neighborhood.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations