HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 11:55 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

The old Howdy Honda has been completely demolished and removed in preparation for the Aloft Hotel.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 5:03 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
South Austin Hospital will be adding 3 new floors to their tower. Construction start is slated for September. My father works there and went to a meeting this afternoon where it was mentioned. That will bring the floor count to 10.
Construction was pushed back, but an Austin American-Statesman article from March says that they're planning to add 2 floors to the south tower. That would make it 7 floors and probably around 109 feet or so to the main roof, and possibly up to 121 feet to the mechanical penthouses based on the current design.

The real shocker is that they're planning to add 6 to 7 new floors atop the existing parking garage. That would potentially make it the tallest parking garage in the city with 14 to 15 floors, and the height would probably be around 148 feet to the top level and upwards of 168 feet to the elevator shaft based on the dimensions of the one that's up there now. The new expansion would add 560 to 718 new spaces.

http://www.mystatesman.com/business/...QMvMius2cjU0M/
Quote:
St. David’s South Austin Medical Center plans $58 million expansion

By Shonda Novak - American-Statesman Staff

Construction is expected to start in mid 2017 and wrap up in early 2019, Steward said.

Originally, the capital investment for the project totaled $50 million, but the amount increased by $8 million to include an expansion of the existing parking garage, hospital officials said. St. David’s officials are evaluating several options that could result in six to seven new parking garage floors and 560 to 718 new parking spaces.

The expansion also calls for adding two floors in the medical center’s south tower.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 12:58 AM

According to these FAA filings and their unbelievably shitty map there will be two tower cranes going up in SoCo. One is 220' and one is 180'. I suspect these are for the Hotel Magdalena mixed use project. IIRC there is also another project going up adjacent to the Hotel Magdalena project. So one of the cranes may be for that one.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...286630&row=246
https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...286386&row=248

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 1:35 AM
Meh

I just use the cardinal coordinates in Google Earth to find the location.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 4:47 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

It's about time, obviously the meeting my father went to were way off on their timeline.

I don't see why they just can't build a new parking garage. They have a large area of surface parking that they can build on. The plus side is that garage has a great view of the city. Will be even better 7 levels higher.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 12:32 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
It's about time, obviously the meeting my father went to were way off on their timeline.

I don't see why they just can't build a new parking garage. They have a large area of surface parking that they can build on. The plus side is that garage has a great view of the city. Will be even better 7 levels higher.
I was wondering about that myself. Perhaps they have other plans for future expansion and want to save the surface lots for those?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 7:53 AM

The Edison apartments being built on Wickershame (sic) just off Riverside will have a 210' tower crane. That's pretty substantial for a 45' building. But the site is on a slope so maybe that has something to do with it.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...6562497&row=37

This has probably been posted before, but this is the Edison:

http://www.presidiumre.com/expertise/development/

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 8:55 AM
World Traveler

Looking at Google Earth around that area. It's impressive to think of what the Riverside corridor could become. Look at the area bordered by I-35 (west), the river (north), Oltorf (south) and more or less Grove Blvd (east). Minus a couple of single-family neighborhoods, it's mostly apartments already. A lot of these are already being replace with the various developments around the Oracle campus, but think more broadly than that and it's not difficult to see this area becoming another West Campus. It would definitely need something to spur it on (West Campus has UT and, to a lesser degree, downtown, for instance), but it could happen at some point in the future.

If it were to happen, I could see Riverside and Pleasant Valley being the two main thoroughfares into and out of the area. LTR and/or some sort of streetcar system could really spur this on with connections to downtown and East Austin - and the airport, of course. I know these conversations have happened before...I'm just dreaming.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 9:28 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I think the area has plenty of drivers already:

Riverside, just as West Campus does, has UT as a growth driver -- outside of West Campus, that area has the largest concentration of UT students anywhere in the city. Check. I know many of the apartment complexes that are currently there that house students are being phased out, but I think it is realistic to think that many students will remain in the area housed in newer developments.

The area has good proximity to downtown. Check.

The area has great proximity to the airport. Check.

The area now has Oracle and will likely attract other tech offices. Check.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 12:42 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I think the area has plenty of drivers already:

Riverside, just as West Campus does, has UT as a growth driver -- outside of West Campus, that area has the largest concentration of UT students anywhere in the city. Check. I know many of the apartment complexes that are currently there that house students are being phased out, but I think it is realistic to think that many students will remain in the area housed in newer developments.

The area has good proximity to downtown. Check.

The area has great proximity to the airport. Check.

The area now has Oracle and will likely attract other tech offices. Check.

Good points all around. What are the height limits of this area? Is there away that it could become even more dense than West Campus eventually?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 8:28 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Good points all around. What are the height limits of this area? Is there away that it could become even more dense than West Campus eventually?
See my reply to you in the Oracle thread.

Last edited by wwmiv; Jul 5, 2017 at 8:41 PM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 2:21 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
See my reply to you in the Oracle thread.
Saw it, thanks!

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 1:12 PM

Two of the City View apartment buildings on the southern end of SoCo are going to be redeveloped into a single retail/office building.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...enue_PLANS.pdf

This is the third significant project happening on the east side of the southern portion of SoCo. If the State School for the Deaf sells the northern section of their campus as rumored, the dead space between downtown and SoCo will be greatly reduced.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 10:24 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

If I'm looking at the right apartments, isn't that the northern edge of South Congress? Sorry to pick nits.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
If I'm looking at the right apartments, isn't that the northern edge of South Congress? Sorry to pick nits.
That would be correct. I must have been holding my compass upside down.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 3:13 AM

What is crazy is this building was built around 2000 or 2001!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 9:15 AM
World Traveler

Is the School for the Deaf actually considering selling/leasing that land? Or is that just random talk? I remember it coming up previously but don't remember if that was from a source or just speculation that it would a good move on their part....

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 9:42 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Two of the City View apartment buildings on the southern end of SoCo are going to be redeveloped into a single retail/office building.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...enue_PLANS.pdf

This is the third significant project happening on the east side of the southern portion of SoCo. If the State School for the Deaf sells the northern section of their campus as rumored, the dead space between downtown and SoCo will be greatly reduced.
That's kind of a bummer. They had a great view of downtown from that section of the complex. There's a really nice 180-degree view of the skyline from the 4th-floor stairwell. If I remember right, that complex was originally developed as "Alexan Congress".

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 10:30 PM
Meh

Music Lane development tower crane plans. It'll have two cranes.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...rane_PLANS.pdf

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 10:41 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Kevin, have you noticed how big the new BMW dealership is on I35 in South Austin? It's huge!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin