HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post

I may have to call Paul...
"Better Call Saul" instead just in case this ever turns into a legal battle. Honestly, I'd think MACC would want to embrace the change. The new vibrancy of Rainey Street and 70 Rainey will only increase traffic to their exhibits. And at one time, wasn't the MACC planning a 30-story residential highrise to go along with their center. So how can they be opposed to the vertical construction. Plus, a park would have been really nice in that area.

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 11:06 PM

Yeah I mean I guess I'm just frustrated by how... Infantile their moves to oppose this are, and how it feels like some of the issues they bring up are just completely made-up; the whole "the tower on our East would block our views of downtown which is on our West" really put an extraordinarily bad taste in my mouth.

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 12:19 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Sure, but they also built in the only historically Mexican part of town (all others that we consider Mexican were either white lower class or black to start off) that was not historically considered part of downtown and are hoping to preserve some of that history by opposing developments that would help to price out any current or potential Mexican residents of that area.

Ergo, I'm torn. On the one hand, the neighborhood is not going to be preserved demographically and has already passed the event horizon. On the other hand, their aims are... noble... even if they're going about it in the entirely wrong way. Better to serve as a beacon for the Mexican community and preserve the culture in the area rather than ensure that Mexican residents are able to reside in this particular neighborhood. In time, if Mexican-Americans can share in economic prosperity, they'll be able to return.

I'm torn also. I think their noble aims and their methods are sadly on the opposite ends of the spectrum. I agree with protecting culture, but to be rude and demanding in the process isn't helpful. Though I also think that gentrification isn't the most ideal solution, to be fair.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 11:48 PM
Meh

I haven't seen this rendering yet. From their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/SeventyRain...type=1&theater

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 12:42 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
And there we go: goodbye to the greenery facade.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 12:54 AM
Meh

Yeah, that's pretty bad. I actually love the design of the tower. It reminds me a lot of the W with a few differences, but yeah, the parking podium is pretty awful. I know parking garages are utilitarian pieces of infrastructure, but come on, architects! Does anyone out there know how to design a decent looking parking structure? I know that there will likely be a time in the future when parking garages are obsolete and a fragment of a time when we were still chained to our cars, but that time is still a long ways away. In the meantime it would be nice if architects would keep that in mind so that we don't have to look at these fugly structures for several more generations.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 1:01 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Don't you know? When we no longer need these gigantic parking structures, they'll turn into low-slung, winding retail.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 1:07 AM

There's been no change to the greenery - at least based on the rendering. If you look at all of the previous renderings this angle (west & north facing) did not have greenery. The greenery was on the east & south facing sides.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 6:22 AM

Maybe it's a pre-growth rendering.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 6:41 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Hill Country actually seems to be correct. If you go back and look at the earlier renderings, only certain sides have the greenery. This side did not have greenery in the earlier renderings.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 9:00 AM
World Traveler

Overall, this looks to be a good building. I liked the rendering looking down the river the most. However, I'll never get over how odd it looks to have a building on stilts on top of a parking garage.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 5:19 PM

MACC Releases new Render of 70 Rainey Mega-Structure

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jngreenlee View Post
hahaha

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 6:09 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jngreenlee View Post
Lmao look at that black shadow spilling over the MACC.

For one thing that is misleading. The angle of the sun in that picture isn't even in the right place for such a shadow. If anything there may be a shadow in the morning as the sun rises but it would be fairly early and wouldn't last long. The rest of the day there should be no problem with the MACC getting precious sunlight. I mean for goodness sake, it's not like the tower is being built south of it. Winter is when the greatest shadow length would be and again it's placement would not affect the MACC. During the summer especially during mid day there will be little issue of shadowing. Either way they are overreacting and it's making them look selfish and immature.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 6:15 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Opps double post

Last edited by Jdawgboy; May 12, 2015 at 6:16 PM. Reason: issue loading resulting in double post.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 8:42 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Lmao look at that black shadow spilling over the MACC.

For one thing that is misleading. The angle of the sun in that picture isn't even in the right place for such a shadow. If anything there may be a shadow in the morning as the sun rises but it would be fairly early and wouldn't last long. The rest of the day there should be no problem with the MACC getting precious sunlight. I mean for goodness sake, it's not like the tower is being built south of it. Winter is when the greatest shadow length would be and again it's placement would not affect the MACC. During the summer especially during mid day there will be little issue of shadowing. Either way they are overreacting and it's making them look selfish and immature.
I believe the "new rendering" was a joke...no need to analyze it.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
I believe the "new rendering" was a joke...no need to analyze it.
Appears to be satire/snark to me. He should have used the customary

Old Posted May 16, 2015, 7:38 PM

I like this a lot, and I've definitely seen uglier parking garages (if there's such a thing as attractive/ugly parking garages)

Old Posted May 17, 2015, 2:09 AM

Organizers over at the MACC are asking for volunteers to shave their private areas and glue their pubic hair to the Cultural Center in an effort to discourage the construction of the highrise planned for next door. A spokesman for MACC said she believes the prospect of looking down from the balconies of the highrise and seeing a giant hairy vagina would be enough to send the developer packing as no one would want live next to such a thing, especially in the summer, after a rain shower. She said the rendering illustrates the amount of pubes from the commitments they have already received in just the last few days, and is confident to have enough pubes to cover the entire building including the large shaft structure well before any official groundbreaking ceremony begins. She said some of the commitments are coming from all over the world, but mostly from France and Germany where historically there is an abundance of excess pubes.
They are asking anyone who is interested in donating their pubes, to place them in a paper bag, (remember Austin has a ordinance against plastic bags), leave it in a collection barrel marked 'PUBES AGAINST PROGRESS' by the main entrance, and to write your name on the bag if you want to be listed in their guest book as a pube contributer.
She said that while she appreciates their offers, they are currently not accepting donations from blonds, seniors, and albinos, as their donations would appear only as gaps, but they are certainly welcome to join the glue team. Glue and gloves will be provided. Eating on the premises is at your own risk, especially on windy days.
She said she expects to drive away progress, "One pube at a time!"

Personally, I think this is pure propaganda.

Last edited by the Genral; May 17, 2015 at 5:27 AM.

Old Posted May 17, 2015, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Organizers over at the MACC are asking for volunteers to shave their private areas and glue their pubic hair to the Cultural Center [...]
Good work, this case is closed. Approved for development.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin